iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 4600 diverter valve

Started by CCCLLC, November 25, 2021, 04:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCCLLC

Looking to add a diverter valve to JD 4600. No power beyond port can be seen by me on valve  body so diverter valve  is best option. Hydraulic flow rate from pump is close to 12GPM. Choices for valve size is 13GPM or 24GPM. Any advantage to the larger valve size or I'm just slowing it down?

mike_belben

If the price is close id get the larger diverter but its not too big a deal IMO. If your new control valve has power beyond it could go upstream of your current control valve that is lacking a beyond plug and be no need for a divertor.  I guess it depends on what youre trying to control. 

Just Fwiw i think you mean a selector valve to switch between say backhoe or front end loader etc. Selectors do one or the other.  A diverter valve splits one stream to two control valves at the same time and prioritizes one with a minimum gpm.  its what youd use to split say 6pm to a steering valve and whatever above that goes to the blade or brakes or whatever. 

If you need to use two functions pretty much together the best way would be adding a power beyond valve upstream of the current valve .. As long as desired pressures are pretty similar.  Not knowing what youre doing this is pretty generic info and might be useless to your project. 
Praise The Lord

CCCLLC

Thanks for response mb. Wanting to add the Titan single cylinder grapple to FEL. No power beyond on back of tractor  or at valve  bank. Didn't  know if the " over sized" valve would be slowing things down or had a benefit  of some kind.

mike_belben

I gotcha. Surplus center part 9-5117 is a DC double selector valve.  With a momentary foot or hand switch you could have your existing boom or curl cylinder toggle between their current cylinders and your grapple cylinder.  Youd run short hoses out of say your boom valve spools A/B work ports into the DC valve.  Then from DC valve to your boom cylinders and from DC valve to your grapple finger. It will be normally ported to your boom but when triggered itll send the flow to the grapple until released at ehich time itll flip back to boom

Thered be no upstream/downstream or relief fiddling to consider. That would remain unchanged.  I cant remember the name of dons thread but he did it on his skid steer not too long ago. @Don P
Praise The Lord

Don P

I plumbed it from a power beyond and T'd into the relief line but it should work like Mike is saying. I used a cheap momentary rocker switch panel mounted to try it out. Hitting the switch I can see the hoses jump in both directions. I think for what you are doing wouldn't a toggle be better? I'm embarassed to admit I haven't plugged anything into mine yet, the rocks got softer, we made it without needing to rent a BF jackhammer. My only concern was flow rate, they were not large ports but for a grapple that shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't slow the existing, Mike's playground. I'm trying to think which function you would want still working with the grapple, maybe curl which would put the valve on the boom... I'm guessing think that through.

chevytaHOE5674

No experience with a selector valve used in a grapple application, but I have tons of experience with a grapple bucket on a skid steer and on 2 tractors all with a 3rd live function. The ability to curl and close the grapple simultaneously is the best use of the attachment. Rarely if ever do I close the grapple and then curl back, I always to both at the same time. Using a DC selector valve won't really allow you to operate it like that you will constantly be having to toggle between functions.

I would be looking at your valve stack and adding a slice if possible. If its a monoblock open center valve I'd just replace with a 3 spool valve.

mike_belben

I agree with chevy the 3 spool valve is the superior factory oem like route if you can do it.  Selector valve price has gone way up.  They were about $70 when i first started playing in oil. 

Don im not sure that routing will work.. Where and what was your thread again?
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!