iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Importing sawmill to Canada

Started by skiather, November 27, 2021, 10:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiather

What is involved in purchasing a sawmill in a US state and transporting it to Ontario, Also getting it through Canadian customs? Anyone that has had experience doing this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.
Eastern Ontario Dreamer

sawguy21

You need to talk to a customs broker. The CBSA will want to see a certificate of origin and sales receipt at the very least.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tacotodd

And get ready for some hefty cross border fees just for the "privilege" of being able to have stuff shipped that was in the name of commerce. AND someone gets that money either way that the shipping happens (and to think, Canucks and Americans are friends).  smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch
Trying harder everyday.

Hilltop366

Not sure if it applies to mills but for vehicles some documents needed to be at customs a few days before you arrive.

Sawguy21's suggestion of a customs broker is a good idea.

SwampDonkey

I remember a fellow from south of the border about 15 years ago shipped a trailer home from the US. The purchase price was US$10,000 down there, by the time customs was through up here it was a $30,000 one that he could have bought cheaper up here. Brokerage fees was the big $$ add on. You'll be charged the fee based on the purchase value and by category/class and what ever else they dream up, not a flat rate fee.

There was a broker one time at a local crossing here charging crazy money. People then found out to ship it to a company nearby, then go get it from there and declare it at the border crossing themselves. Saved big bucks. The broker is long gone.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dgdrls

Quote from: skiather on November 27, 2021, 10:48:57 AM
What is involved in purchasing a sawmill in a US state and transporting it to Ontario, Also getting it through Canadian customs? Anyone that has had experience doing this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.
Might be better off/less expensive with a purchase in Canada?
D

snowstorm

i bought a peace of equipment in canada a few yrs back paid 12 k for it the broker charged about $200 and some fee when i crossed back over was under $20. call a broker and find out. you are going to need one

SwampDonkey

My brother was going to buy a used car one time (3 years ago) and was using a firm to inspect the vehicle and ship across, it was going to add $$thousands. It's a lot different coming to Canada then it is coming to the US.

A friend of mine bought a Tocoma in the US when living and working in Idaho. He found out at customs when he moved to Canada that it does not pass our vehicle code up here and had to have a bunch of stuff added to the vehicle to bring it across costing $$. It was not as cheap as he thought it was when they was done. That was crossing into Ontario.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

A phone call the CBSA will answer a lot of questions. 
I have bought 2 new trucks, a new honda ATV, 1 used car, and finnally my used WM 1993 LT40HD in the US and brought them across, No hassles.   
The trucks ATV and car had to have the purchase papers shipped to the USA customs 72 hrs ahead of time. I stopped at the US side confirmed what I had was in the paper works. Travelled to the Canadian side. I declared what I had, and paid the GST on the spot. I then went home, had to have daytime running lights installed, a federal safety check done, ( your vehicle needs to conform to our federal regulations for that year) and then a provincial safety check done, and paid my provincial sales tax. 
The sawmill, I just showed up at the Canadian border declared the sawmill and paid the GST on the value I paid, I had the receipt and carried on home with it. I never had to put plates on it here in Ontario so never did pay the PST as I did on the vehicles.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

skiather

Many thanks to all who replied, Some it seems have had very expensive learning experiences, Others went quite well within reasonable expense. I wonder if having it custom shipped to the border incurs more headaches with customs and brokerage as opposed to crossing in person, buying it and just showing up at the border as Stephen mentioned,  Now is not the greatest time to be crossing the border considering all the restrictions.
Eastern Ontario Dreamer

sawguy21

Shipping should be a little easier. The vendor sends the paperwork to Canadian customs, the unit is cleared and taken to a bonded warehouse. You pay the HST and brokerage fees and either pick it up or have a Canadian carrier do so.

skiather

Thanks for all the help guys, Things are getting a little clearer now, Almost as clear as mud LOL. Now I just have to decide whether to proceed or not, Starting with customs and broker inquires.
Eastern Ontario Dreamer

firefighter ontheside

I  bought a tractor on ebay about 20 years ago for 5000.  It was in canada and I don't remember what province.  I doubt that matters.  For another 800, a broker got it across the border and delivered to Missouri for me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SwampDonkey

Aside from being a sawmill purchase I just wanted you know I don't make stuff up. Here's the real deal with vehicles:
Importing a vehicle - Travel.gc.ca

Linked to registrar from above url:  
Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Payment and Fees

-Registrar fee of $325 to begin with.

-Air conditioning levy $100

-tax on weighted average fuel consumption, the least fuel efficient the more the tax.

Like $4000 on any vehicle rated 17.6 mpg or under (16 L/100km) and as little as $1000 for the most efficient (13L/100 km)

-Federal GST
-Provincial HST and Licensing fees.

And it has to be on a list of acceptable imported vehicles here: Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Like I told ya, don't assume it's the same as crossing into the US. In the best of circumstances, your at about $1500 before they slap the GST and PST on ya.
:D :D

Do your research my friend. ;)

thecfarm

Almost sounds like the ones that checks your bags at the airport. Depends on what kind of mood they are in that day.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen1

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 29, 2021, 05:27:38 AM
Aside from being a sawmill purchase I just wanted you know I don't make stuff up. Here's the real deal with vehicles:
Importing a vehicle - Travel.gc.ca

Linked to registrar from above url:  
Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Payment and Fees

-Registrar fee of $325 to begin with.

-Air conditioning levy $100

-tax on weighted average fuel consumption, the least fuel efficient the more the tax.

Like $4000 on any vehicle rated 17.6 mpg or under (16 L/100km) and as little as $1000 for the most efficient (13L/100 km)

-Federal GST
-Provincial HST and Licensing fees.

And it has to be on a list of acceptable imported vehicles here: Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Like I told ya, don't assume it's the same as crossing into the US. In the best of circumstances, your at about $1500 before they slap the GST and PST on ya.
:D :D

Do your research my friend. ;)
SD if we read what he wants to import it is a Sawmill, not a new or used Vehicle. It really is not rocket science IF, as you say do your research. I also found that if it is made in the US of A and or Mexico it comes across with little hassle. Paper work yes taxes yes exchange rate for the $$$$ is your costs plus your time. When I brought my Trucks and cars over the Canadian $ was at .98 cents and the car was @ $1.06. It made it worth it. I saved $25,000 on my Tundra over purchasing the Tundra in Canada and that included travel costs, registrtions and certifications. I did not put my time into the costs.
I also brought over my IDRY Kiln, I used a customs broker for that. Call a broker and  registered an account. I then sent the paperwork of what I was buying to them. They sent me Brokerage paperwork that I carried across the border from USA to Canada. It was to easy, I drove up in the truck lane, showed my paperwork to the Customs agent, he asked if I had any alchohol or tobacco, I replied 10 beer out of the 12 pack. Carry on and have a nice day was his reply. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Andries

Stephen1, your experience with your purchase and import was identical to mine. My Tundra now has an import sticker on the door pillar and the border guys gave me the same bored "carry on buddy" reply.
I looked at buying a LT40 near Redwing MN a few years ago. I plugged the VIN number into the Registrars database and the Canadian border system would've treated it like a fancy cargo trailer. No issues at all, just jump through a few hoops and pay the pst and gst.
No brokerage needed.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

I just used the vehicle as an example there for what's involved bringing them over. I clearly highlighted it and showed I never made it up. My friend's Tacoma was $25,000 USD, at 75 cents on the dollar back then it works out to almost CDN $44,000 plus taxes. I bought one in Canada about 2 years after for $32,000 + tax CDN.  I know about 6 years before I bought mine they wanted $45,000, then there was a big price drop afterward. Currency exchange was a big part of that I'm guessing.

Here in New Brunswick they really know how to put the screws to ya. That trailer I mentioned sure was no deal and the guy was not impressed in the least about it. Went through a broker to.  My experience has always been that the rules are not equally applied. And they also lie. An example, back in the 70's margarine became a thing. Mother asked Canadian customs if it could be brought over, they said yes. Well, mother had purchased some after getting the OK. Declared it at the customs and they wanted to seize it. Mother took it out to the edge of the road, where it dropped down over a steep bank, and chucked it. She said you want it, go get it buster. After she called them a bunch of liars. :D Another one for ya. It snowed over night and of course an uncovered truck bed is going to be full of snow. Cousin goes over for some gas, comes back through. Customs asked where is the booze hidden? Got none was his reply. Customs hops up on the truck and shovels snow looking for some. None. Cousin says, thanks for cleaning off the snow. :D

Now carry on, maybe it will be a smoother transaction with the sawmill. Good luck with your sawmill. :)

sawguy21

We frequently went to Bellingham from Surrey for groceries, Costco carried a lot of products not available here. Canada Customs wasn't the least bit interested except for the booze picked up at the duty free store. A friend was hauling chips from BC to a rail dump in Washington for transport to Portland. An new overzealous customs agent made every driver stop coming back and fill out a declaration, it got rather tedious, so one wrote 'sailboat fuel'. She of course quuestioned it and walked to the trailer, climbed the ladder in a skirt and peered over then looked at the mesh end gate. She returned to the office, muttered "I asked for that" and never gave any more problems.

LogPup

What ever you do, don't forget about the box of 357 jacketed hollow points back in the sleeper cubbie hole.  You get taken
to that special room in the customs building. ;D  Canadians don't like that.

Bradm

I had a skid of equipment brought in from Massachusetts 2 weeks ago and it cost me $40 (anything over a set dollar amount tops out at $40) for brokerage and 5% GST.  I gave the seller the contact information for the broker and than waited for the truck to arrive.

Do your homework before choosing a customs broker; some are very spendy and some are reasonable.

Stephen1

SD you bet the exchnge rate has something to do with a lot of it. Like a lot of corporations, everyone has a different interpretaion of the rules, especially when new. We all have good border crossing stories. You just never know what side of the bed they got of that morning. 

mike_belben

Quote from: LogPup on November 29, 2021, 08:58:44 PM
What ever you do, don't forget about the box of 357 jacketed hollow points back in the sleeper cubbie hole.  You get taken
to that special room in the customs building. ;D  Canadians don't like that.
It was HP FMJ 38 specials in a J frame upstate.  
;)
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

HP's and sailboat fuel :-X, that's just plain stupid stuff for them to get on people. WT&, it's just a pain in the backside...
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!