iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forklift Lifting Capacity?

Started by Stephen1, December 23, 2018, 12:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I pulled the trigger on a TCM with 7,000 hrs yesterday, brand new solid tires, new seat, lift safetied, co2 under the limit,  lifting capacity 3500 lbs at 185 inches. The gentleman that sold it to me runs a gret mobile repair shop and he is convinced this will work great for me. Lifting 5,000 lbs at the lower level should be no problems. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

YellowHammer

TCM are good lifts.
When you first get it, run it everywhere you will operate, unloaded, and look for potential soft spots, I.e. try to get stuck.  You may not have any problem, or you may find a few questionable spot.  Then put a few inches of 3/4 crushed run with fines there and drive back and forth until it packs and then go to the next spot. Now is a great time of year because of the potentially soft ground.  The forklift paths don't have to be wide, just wide enough.  If you start spinning, stop.  Straighten the steer tires, and gently hit the gas again.  Usually it's the steering tires turned at a hard angle that will act as brakes, and cause the drive tires to spin.  If a spot looks dicey, straighten the steering and drive through, then throw some gravel in the spot. 

If you have good gravel, you won't get stuck even with a max load.

You might just order a load of gravel and dump it in a pile out of the way, so you can use quickly fill in any soft spots if you find them.

Forklifts are easy to pull out if you get stuck.  There should be a hitch pin on the rear for a strap.  However a very easy way to get one out is to tilt the fork cage all the way back.  Then put a board in the ground under the fork cage and tilt forward.  This will jack the front end and tires out of the ground about 5 inches.  Put a board under the tires, tilt forward to set the tires down and drive off.  This is how mechanics change the drive tires on these machines with no jack.

You will love the speed and nimbleness of these machines.  I also use mine as a portable workbench.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

Thank YH, I wish I lived in the south and had to deal with soft spots, at this time of the year. Once it warm's up, I'm sure I'll be adding gravel, thanks for the heads up on the fork cage. It alwasy nice to know how to get unstuck the easier way.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Stephen1

Here it is the new to me TCM. I have the walls painted, painting  the floor now and then some racking to store wood. 

Stephen1

Quote from: janekerrhv on November 21, 2021, 07:23:32 PM
An essential parameter of a forklift is the lifting capacity, which is the starting point in the design, which often determines all the other technical characteristics of the machine, from the lifting height to the type of mast. There are maximum and nominal lifting capacities. The former means the total weight of the load that the machine can lift to a given maximum height at a fixed center of gravity position. Rated load capacity is the mass of the product, which the equipment is capable of moving to the size specified by the manufacturer. It is noteworthy that some companies indicate only one type of maximum or rated capacity. Based on the lifting capacity of modern forklifts form several groups. Thus, small forklifts include models with load capacity ranging from 1 to 4 tons, and the middle class - the samples, the load capacity ranges from 4 to 10 tons. The type, generally accepted as "above average", combines forklifts capable of lifting loads weighing 10 to 16 tons. And finally, the heavy forklifts include models with a lifting capacity of 16 tons and more. Another critical parameter depends on the lifting capacity: the lifting height. Now the world market presents models capable of moving loads to a height of 3 to 7 meters. I have chosen an excellent option for myself at https://anguslifttrucks.co.uk/, and I can give you my advice.
Welcome. Some of us find old posts and then respond to them, me included. I have had my TCM for 0ver 2 years now. Works great and lifts everything I ask of it.
Cheers

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

Ahh, scroll up, there's a picture that had stuck in my head, I had meant to ask about that house. I hope I get to.

mike_belben

yes hopefully tom pulls through.  

my brother lives in a geodesic dome. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!