iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Security system

Started by 69bronco, October 27, 2021, 08:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronco

Looking to put in a hard wired camera setup on my shop. It's far enough from our home that it can't be seen. Trying to make heads or tales of what's out there has got my head spinning. Hoping someone has a similar system they would recommend. I have WiFi in the shop. Would like to have a few cameras hardwired to a recorder (no monthly fee), and get notifications on our cell phones. Preferably the cameras would have a siren/yell through function for when I'm away and can't get there right away. Thanks!

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom the Sawyer

I bought a system from SuperCircuits.com back in 2018.  Came with DVR and 4 hardwired cameras.  Set it up in my barn where I do my milling and planing work.  About $400 at that time.  Included everything except the monitor.  Capacity for up to 8 cameras and upgraded to a 2TB hard drive.  Cameras see 65' at night.  Added a nice PTZ (pan/tilt/zoom) camera that cost more than the whole system but I can cover a very large area.  

Added a Point to Point radio which extended the internet to the barn a couple of hundred feet from the house.  Can check any camera from anywhere in the world via the net.  Several detection options, will also send alerts and video clips but I don't use that at this time (wind-blown sawdust and passing birds/animals will set it off unless you set the detection parameters very closely.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

BenTN

Lorex is a big player in this class of system. Easy to setup DIY style. Sams and Costco have been known to carry a few brands. IR and the biggest hard drive you can afford. 

Is your wifi access point in the shop or does it reach from the house? Some systems may not connect wirelessly and require a wired connection. You may struggle to view multi-channel HD video streamed across the WiFi if it comes from the house. 

69bronco

Quote from: BenTN on October 28, 2021, 05:32:55 AM
Lorex is a big player in this class of system. Easy to setup DIY style. Sams and Costco have been known to carry a few brands. IR and the biggest hard drive you can afford.

Is your wifi access point in the shop or does it reach from the house? Some systems may not connect wirelessly and require a wired connection. You may struggle to view multi-channel HD video streamed across the WiFi if it comes from the house.
The shop has it's own wi fi. Was looking at Lorex this morning, will try and call them later. Is 2T considered big these days? Thank you! 

YellowHammer

So far, I've had excellent success with Reolink.  Their customer service is superb and I just bought one of their solar powered Wi-Fi PTZ cameras and it has also been flawless.  

I've had a Lorex, it was pretty good also, but their cameras weren't real weatherproof.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

69bronco

Thanks YH! I went on Reo Link site today. They have a compatibility chart which is a real bonus for someone who is technically challenged like myself. I also like that you can build your own system. Just waiting on confirmation and availability. Thanks again everyone.

BenTN

Quote from: 69bronco on October 28, 2021, 08:28:52 AM
Quote from: BenTN on October 28, 2021, 05:32:55 AM

The shop has it's own wi fi. Was looking at Lorex this morning, will try and call them later. Is 2T considered big these days? Thank you!
Hard drive space is all relative to the amount of cameras you have, frame rate at which you want to record, and image quality of the cameras. 
How long do you need to keep images/video on the recorder before you can retrieve? 1-2 weeks while on vacation or 30-90 days to cover the public/retail space for incidents? 
There are calculators on the web once you determine how many and what type of cameras, then how long do you need to store footage. Frame rates have huge factor in your retention times. 15 FPS is fluid motion, 30 FPS is max on most systems in this class. The higher frame rate will give better motion triggers for motion recording, which will save a lot of disk space. 
There are several ways to tune these systems. Most of the off-the-shelf systems are pretty good out of the box for solutions like yours. 

customsawyer

I have a Lorex system with 8 cameras, 4 on things at the mill and driveway, and 4 up around the house. I can get notifications of motion on my phone but normally have that turned off. One camera is about 75 yards from the road looking up the driveway and I get notified every time someone drives by the mailbox at 75 yards. All 8 of them will also send notification of every moth or bird that goes by.  One of the things I like is that they are inferred cameras so they see pretty decent at night. I have wifi at the house and down at the store by the mill. There is a monitor and a recording device at each location and they will store up to about 30 days worth. I can go to the play back of each camera and see when any motion was activated and watch what took place. I have actually used it several times in training employees. You know like when they think no one is watching as I'm away getting parts. If I see them on the phone when they are supposed to be working I just send them a text. "If your leaning you could be cleaning". Of course if that don't get their attention send them a screen shot.  It is also good to show them where they are wasting steps.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

69bronco

One last question(hopefully). It seems like you need a monitor for both Reo and Lorex, but neither comes with one. Is the monitor just used for setup? Planning on getting notifications over my phone, don't really have use for one in the shop. Could I use my laptop temporary to set the system up? Thanks again 

Tom the Sawyer

Pretty sure you will need a monitor for many things like setting the field of view for the camera, reviewing recordings, setting parameters, detection zones, and many other uses.  It is just a computer monitor, probably need at least 1280 resolution, around $100 at most computer stores.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

YellowHammer

For the first setup, it's easiest to use any monitor, and you must be on the same local network as the camera or NVR.  But after that, it can be accessed by any web ready device, and I use old iPads, iPhones, etc.  Also, they interface directly with Alexa ready monitors, and I think have or are coming out with a Google one, also.

I have one always web streaming to an old PC so the screens are always up.

Basically, though, I generally just stream them to every and any device I have, and they have full functionality or setting cameras, setting views, camera order, etc.  

The Reolionk ones also can be set for all types of detection sensitivity, with settings for persons, or just cars, or anything, and its pretty good for not false triggering.

They can also record directly to onboard SD card, a NVR or cloud.  I use all recording options so one way or the other, I'm going to get it on camera.  Cloud storage for 5 cameras is I think $5 per month.  

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

DDW_OR

Quote from: scsmith42 on October 27, 2021, 09:49:03 AM
Yellowhammer had a great post about his system.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=115428.msg1823813#msg1823813
I purchased a 8 camera, 16 channel t Reolink, I Love it.
the good
4K video
low res video to Email
the bad
night time, bugs, spider web, heavy rain, Fog, all trigger
the cameras are in Oregon and I am in Montana.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=115428.msg1832252;topicseen#msg1832252
"let the machines do the work"

DDW_OR

requirement for a Good to Great system
4K outdoor cameras
Wired POE cables, standard 8 pin Ethernet cables. can do 330 ft without a repeater/booster
WiFi, still need power at the camera.
2T Hard drive system, or larger. stay away from SSD drives.

add an empty plastic pipe in any trench you do.
I put in 1.5 inch, comes in 300 ft length
future phone, intercom, 3-way switch, camera, internet, or ??

69bronco

Thanks again all, you made things a lot clearer. I ordered the Reo Link and will try and post an update when it's up and running.

YellowHammer

One thing for sure.  Set it all up in your den laid out on the floor or kitchen table  or something before you start running sables and such.  That way everything is set up and running before you start climbing ladders and running cable.  
YellowHammerisms:

DDW_OR

i have used the following systems
Q-see, BNC 420
GW = Great Wall, POE 4 MP
Reolink, POE 4K, 8 MP

all have had a problem with false triggers, mostly with spiders

example:
camera email message states
Camera1 has detected a person.
[Camera1] Channel 01/NVR-or

spiderweb only

spider web plus rain

69bronco

update: Bought the Reo Link recorder and 3 cameras. I'll pass this along, make sure you buy the cameras that have the person/vehicle detection option. Otherwise you'll be notified every time the sun breaks out, every rain drop and snow flake. It took a few weeks of back and forth with company to get things working how they should. Overall I'm happy with the system, if they could send notifications to text instead of email it would be even better. 

Thank You Sponsors!