iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Killing grass in gravel drive

Started by OH Boy, December 22, 2021, 07:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH Boy

Here's one really off the sawmill topic but seeing what your ideas might be. We have goats we let free range around the yard every day, really spoiled animals around here. So I have about 600 feet of gravel drive I've battled the grass in, usually end up mowing the driveway through the summer, just raise the deck a notch and try not to throw too much rock. Anyway, I don't want to use regular herbicides like roundup because for sure they would eat the dead grasses. Wife is kind of particular about the thought of them eating dead sprayed grass. So, what natural kind of ideas would kill off the grass before I put down another layer of gravel.? I've tried white vinegar and salt mix, works for a while but doesn't seem to get to the roots.  Any other natural grass killer options you might have tried 

sprucebunny

Fire !!

I don't know how long it lasts but it's easy with one of those flame thrower sticks. Hardest part is moving the tank around.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Walnut Beast

Don P

Fire doesn't get it, we've tried in the garden. It will take out a row of lavender like it was a trail of gasoline  :D

Southside

Open a dairy, it will stop raining and all your grass will die.

Option two. Grade out the existing roots right before you are ready to re gravel the drive, put down two layers of weed barrier, then a layer of Geo Tek, grass won't come back up and your gravel won't disappear into the sub material.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Do like the goats-for-hire guys do out here.  They set up hot wire lanes to contain the goats to munch particular areas.  Line your driveway and "lock them up" for a day or two (depending on how long your drive is and how many goats you have) and you should be good for a month or so.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mike_belben

Fabric is the only long term cure. I deep ripped and respread a grassy gravel drive for a buddy and it came right back the following summer like i was never there. 
Praise The Lord

Wudman

Harley rake or grader blade every few weeks during the summer will keep it in check.  Other than that, Roundup is the best option.  Anything that is soil active may cause non-target damage.
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

moodnacreek

??  I want grass in my gravel driveway, it holds it together tight, lasts a long time.

HemlockKing

I was thinking the same about the grass I noticed it helps. And I don't mind the look of a driveway with the middle of it grass grown in
A1

YellowHammer

We have the same problem with our gravel driveway.  It's real long and grass is not allowed.    

I know you said you didn't want to spray Roundup, but you might simply adjust your application strategy.

I would assume right now you can burn off the dead grass, using a little diesel as an accelerant, and clean the driveway back to gravel.  Or a couple drags with the box, and it should be clean.  As soon are you see the first hint of grass starting to green up anywhere in the spring, spray the bare gravel, and repeat consistently during the growing season, about once a month.  If the grass gets 1/8" high, spray it.  If it gets 1/4" high, you're late.  You won't have any green or dead grass on the driveway for the goats to eat.  It will start the season as bare ground and will end the season the same.

Then, after a few sprayings, all the seeds have sprouted and there will be a definite lack of germinating plants.  It will be bone dead gravel, no green.

We have a little 25 gallon 12V sprayer this that we put in the 4 four wheeler, and it only takes a few minutes to spray it.  We do the same with 3.5 miles of fencing and cross fencing this technique keeps everything dead clean.

Thats how we do it, it works.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Don P

The answer is probably obvious since Kentucky grows bluegrass. If the aggregate and fines are all limestone, will it support grass and weeds?

Real backburner wonderings, what would happen if I made and worked in quicklime or hydrated lime with our washed aggregate. Would it bond it all together into redneck roman concrete. It would also be pretty basic, I don't think it would be inviting on its own, later accumulated dirt and seed would, leaching lime might make it more inviting? That is also a huge step up from just ground lime.

To the question though, what happens if you plaster the drive with ag lime and burn the grass?

HemlockKing

Grass is not "allowed"? Is that some kind of HOA thing? Good grief
A1

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Plant black walnut trees bordering the driveway.  The juglone will kill off the grass...

beenthere

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on December 23, 2021, 09:38:04 AM
Plant black walnut trees bordering the driveway.  The juglone will kill off the grass...
Juglone does not kill grass under my walnut trees. It does however have a serious effect on broad-leaved plants.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OH Boy

Quote from: Southside on December 22, 2021, 08:11:40 PM
Open a dairy, it will stop raining and all your grass will die.

That's some farm humor right there. 😝
Taking up the whole drive is beyond the effort I'm willing to go, but understand that's the real solution. If it would all stay short and I didn't have to mow and throw the occasional rock it wouldn't bother me much. I'm kind of liking the fire ideas just because it sounds fun. Thanks for the comments 

Don P

Fire creates prairie, don't invest much  :)

Thank You Sponsors!