iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wagyu Beef

Started by stavebuyer, February 02, 2022, 04:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

I have a close friend that got into breeding some Wagyu. I bought a 1/4 steer because I wanted to try it and we have done a world of good business. Delicious but too expensive for me to get hooked on. He has some half-blood steers(Wagyu-x-Angus) on feed now I am anxious to sample. Any of you raising Wagyu or crosses?

Southside

What does he sell it for?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

doc henderson

costs enough I am afraid to cook it.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

stavebuyer

The cost was high ($6 lb carcass weight plus processing) but less than he actually spent. This round was fullbloods from embryo transfers. He tracked costs and I have followed the whole process since he bought the first heifer. What seems like 3 lifetimes ago I worked at farm that was a pioneer in the ET development of the Simbrah breed, so this intrigues me. At the same time Wal-mart is selling choice graded angus ribeye at $20/lb. No comparing the taste and qaulity of farm raised Wagyu to Wal-mart Angus.

Halfbloods you would get faster growth and only incur the cost of a $5-6k bull. What you lose in taste I don't yet know.

For someone selling freezer beef it may be worth exploring.

newoodguy78

That seems like a very fair price. Is that a friends and family discount?

stavebuyer

Quote from: newoodguy78 on February 02, 2022, 08:38:45 PM
That seems like a very fair price. Is that a friends and family discount?
Thats basically his motivation; to see if he can raise some at a cost that is within reason for friends and family.

A decent market for the 1st cross steers could make it feasible to start with a fullblood bull and some good Angus heifers. The halfblood calves at 18 months are 1200-1300#. The fullbloods took 24 months to hit that weight. 

rusticretreater

Interesting.  I am in the process of buying a side of beef from a farm vendor in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.  The meat is from "Select Angus Crossbred Steers from our Cow/calf operation of 20+ years" according to their website.  The price is $3.94lb which is amazing right now.

The steer is processed, individually packaged, labeled and has a USDA stamp on it.  First time I'm trying it so it will be an experience.  225lbs of beef.  Ima gonna have a great grilling summer!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

taylorsmissbeehaven

225lbs of beef. Im jealous!! Eat well my friend, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Jeff

I'm not scared to cook anything in my airfryer if someone wants to send me a side to experiment with. 

Last night.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!