iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First sawmill

Started by OldRedFord, February 15, 2022, 08:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRedFord

Im in the process of bringing home my first sawmill. 

Go big or go home?

Has either a 54 or 56 inch blade and 73 feet of track. Carriage is 20 feet long and built out of two Frick 0 carriages and has 5 head blocks, 6 axles. 

Husk frame is the base to a Estes power feed bolter. 

Comes with a Tower edger and a 27 inch Frick edger and a board length edger and a swing saw. 4-71 Detroit powered. 

Sawmill update - YouTube

rusticretreater

Yeesh.  Nothing like taking the plunge!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Nebraska

Cool,  welcome.....post lots of pictures .

OldRedFord

Would having the track rails mounted directly to concrete be a bad idea? 

rusticretreater

Bad Idea.  There is no place for the vibration to be absorbed.    Your machine will vibrate more and probably become inaccurate in a short while.  Over time, you will find the concrete mountings will work their way loose and will not retighten.  There is a reason folks mount it on timbers, natural shock absorption.

Usually, some space is needed under the mill to allow removal of sawdust, flitches and debris plus provide room for the log clamps or other equipment.
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Ron Wenrich

Maybe you should describe how you are planning to put the mill directly on concrete.  I've seen plenty of automatic mills sitting on steel frames that are on concrete floors.  Those floors are thick and reinforced.  The shock is taken in by the steel frame.

I think the wood will be cheaper and easier option to work with and does help with the shock level. I've seen concrete used for pilings and cross support.  You'll need more support at the log end, due to the loading and turning of logs. 

Take lots of pictures when you dismantle, as you will probably need them to put everything back together.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

etd66ss

Well that is a heck of a first sawmill.  Yikes...

Crossroads

Dang you don't mess around!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

moodnacreek

Looks like it's all there and then some. It will be alot of work. The mandrel could be an expensive problem. Don't overlook this because if it is not right you will never saw.

OldRedFord

Sunday brought home another load of sawmill parts. Rollers on the bottom and a twin blade trimmer cut off saw chained down on top.

OldRedFord

Previous weekend I moved the 4-71 Detroit, Allis Chamers 2900 diesel, Tower and Frick edgers. 

OldRedFord

Was off work Monday and cleared where the sawmill will sit. Hiring the grading work out. 

moodnacreek

Looks like you got enough toys to build a mill, I like that.

OldRedFord

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 22, 2022, 12:44:56 PM
Looks like you got enough toys to build a mill, I like that.
To a point I do lol. The loader and mini ex belong to my neighbor across the street. 
I've got a D8, a tractor and a backhoe but all three are currently in need of repair. 

Plankton

Awesome! Glad to see another circle mill being brought back to life. Good luck! Take tons of pictures and measurements before setting up track and husk etc.

Nothing like making boards on a circle mill. Nothing against them but I don't think the band mill guys know what there missing when it comes to the sheer production of a circle mill.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Plankton on February 22, 2022, 01:41:56 PM
Awesome! Glad to see another circle mill being brought back to life. Good luck! Take tons of pictures and measurements before setting up track and husk etc.

Nothing like making boards on a circle mill. Nothing against them but I don't think the band mill guys know what there missing when it comes to the sheer production of a circle mill.
They don't and that's ok. They can go places and do things I can't. To saw logs fast all day long, out running your help, you need the iron. What I mean is a thick saw blade weather band or circle.

OldRedFord

Found this tag on the two blade trimmer. 

timberfaller390

Looks like a heck of a good start! I a little envious of that Detroit power unit. 
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Walnut Beast

Awesome! I like that old tag! Love seeing old stuff resurrected. Looking forward to seeing that beast back together for sure! Keep us posted. Blast it and throw some paint on it which your at it 👍. Do what it takes to get it done no matter what anybody says

Walnut Beast

Quote from: rusticretreater on February 16, 2022, 08:20:02 PM
Bad Idea.  There is no place for the vibration to be absorbed.    Your machine will vibrate more and probably become inaccurate in a short while.  Over time, you will find the concrete mountings will work their way loose and will not retighten.  There is a reason folks mount it on timbers, natural shock absorption.

Usually, some space is needed under the mill to allow removal of sawdust, flitches and debris plus provide room for the log clamps or other equipment.
Maybe you need to copy how it was setup and do that. Hope you took several pictures before you tore it all apart 

rusticretreater

Yep, a good sandblasting and repaint would be a good thing.  Another mammoth undertaking though.
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

OldRedFord

As far as the sawmill track I've decided to stick with wood. Some of it needs replaced but wood is still way cheaper then steel. 

I'm sticking with duplicating the current layout of the mill also. Edger and trimmer will be in a slightly different spot. Going to add a flat belt pulley to the arbor to allow me to run the mill off steam. I do have a friend with a Case steam tractor. 

DMcCoy

Wow!   Steam too...keep the pictures coming!

OldRedFord

How can I tell what size Frick mill the carriage is from? 
The runners the ells move on are 50 inches long. The Ells have 1180C stamped in them and the wheels are about 9 inches aross. 

OldRedFord

Teaser pic from today

Thank You Sponsors!