iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spongy Moth??

Started by jb616, March 10, 2022, 12:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb616

So, I recently got a newsletter from my township relating to Spongy Moths, formerly known as the Gypsy Moth...Is this for real?  Have they changed the name? Is it a PC related change. Hoping this doesn't have to get moved to the "Restricted" Board... :D

rusticretreater

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/spongy-moth-new-name-replaces-ethnic-slur
A menacing pest just became a bit less problematic, at least socially, after getting an update to its common name. Lymantria dispar is an invasive insect previously known as the gypsy moth — a label that contains an ethnic slur. On March 2, the Entomological Society of America renamed L. dispar the spongy moth.  The updated term is a nod to the moth's porous egg casing.

According to the article, they are going to rename all sorts of insects and animals.  Whatever. :-\
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

jb616

"According to the article, they are going to rename all sorts of insects and animals.  Whatever."

Well, I guess it will take a generation or two then because most of us will call them as we know them.... Lady bug?  Black Widow?  

Jeff

There is a topic already in the restricted board as of two weeks ago. Started by me, there, because I knew it could not last on the regular forums.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!