iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biscuits and Gravy

Started by Brad_bb, April 22, 2022, 02:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm so tired of places around here with FAKE biscuits and gravy.  In other words tube mass produced biscuits and frozen bagged tasteless factory made gravy.

Cracker barrel nearby- FAke
Local breakfast lunch place- fake

It's so frustrating, you'd think it's not that hard to make.  I'd make it myself, but these days it's much harder without a proper kitchen while still building.  I have done it on my grill in a cast iron pan, but it takes a lot more work and cleanup than in a kitchen.  Maybe I'm just not far enough south- IN?  I grew up with it because my gramma was from TN, therefore my dad made it growing up, thus I learned.  I make bacon gravy.  Nothing against sausage gravy though.  I just make bacon way more than sausage.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WV Sawmiller

I agree! I think it is heresy for Cracker Barrel to serve Whomp biscuits and get mad every time I see one there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

aigheadish

I typically don't make the biscuits myself but there does seem to be a lot of garbagey pre-made gravy out there. There's no good reason for it either. It's so easy and relatively quick to make! And delicious. 

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

sawguy21

I love fresh hot biscuits with butter, the sausage gravy not so much but being a northerner I didn't grow up on it. However my wife loved the stuff. Never heard of bacon gravy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 22, 2022, 11:17:05 AM
I love fresh hot biscuits with butter, the sausage gravy not so much but being a northerner I didn't grow up on it. However my wife loved the stuff. Never heard of bacon gravy.
If you like bacon..
Wait everyone likes bacon
Bacon gravy is DELISH!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

K-Guy

I'm from the north too but I love biscuits and gravy. The other treat the south has given the world is chicken fried steak. I haven't tried grits yet so the jury is still out on them.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Old saw fixer

Let's not forget our chitlins and hog oysters!  Local Moose lodge used to have nuts and guts suppers.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Raider Bill

I'm not a big biscuit eater but love sausage gravy on home fries, mashed potatoes or toast.

kantuckid

Sausage gravy: Take however many Jimmy Dean, precooked sausage patties and thaw them out-for me alone I do 1 or 2. Crumble them into a small fry pan with fingers. When pans hot, place some flour on the crumbles and well cover them. Hot pan, flour all over the crumbles, pour in a tad of milk. Move it around while thickening takes place. You DONT NEED GREASE! Use either Kitchen Boquet or Worcestershire sauce to darken and flavor, salt and pepper, then pour over biscuits. I eat real biscuits when we have company and my biscuit expert does them, when me alone cooking, I use Pillsbury frozen ones and eat egg bacon or sausage biscuits one day, gravy another. I virtually never eat them at cracker barrel or anywhere else besides home. 
Hot sauce is a must on sausage gravy.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 22, 2022, 11:17:05 AM
In KY gravy is red eye, bacon, country ham or sausage gravy. Most cooks here think grease is a must for gravy. Obviously meat juice/grease adds flavor but gravy is made via a thickener such as flour and some fluid and made with grease it kills you slowly. I use milk but water would work in a functional sense.
Wife makes biscuits on a cast iron griddle. Buttermilk is essential!!!
When my boys were young and Mom wasn't home I make them s_it on a shingle on toast.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

sawguy21

I was introduced to s**t on a shingle by a Cape Bretoner, they are a different lot for sure. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

I love S on a shingle or as we Yankees call dried chip beef gravy.

Magicman

PatD makes her biscuits in a cast iron griddle and I call them skillet biscuits.  I prefer jelly or syrup rather than gravy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

There you go!!
Hot out of the oven with butter and maple syrup!!!!! 
Just thinking about it my sugar just jumped by about 300.    :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Magicman on April 22, 2022, 07:34:51 PM

PatD makes her biscuits in a cast iron griddle and I call them skillet biscuits.  I prefer jelly or syrup rather than gravy.
Wow! Those look good how about the recipe!! Lucky to have a wife that knows how to cook!

Magicman

Crisco, Buttermilk, and Self-Rising Flour.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I'm drooling looking at that pan of bicuits thinking I have some blackberry jam or muscadine hull preserves just looking for a new home. And the best part is she has 4 center biscuits there! My wife usually only has one and if my daughter is here she grabs it. The grandkids have even been known to take it off my plate to give to her. It is a big joke to them to "steal" Grandpa's biscuit and give it to Aunt Sharon.

I think my wife's biscuit recipe must be the same as Miz Pats. Sounds like same ingredients. I also prefer jelly/jam to gravy but I can choke down a plate of sausage gravy on a biscuit when necessary.

Her gravy is generally the grease left in the pan, flour and milk, water or chicken broth. Cream of mushroom soup works real good for gravy in roasts or chicken fried cubed or swiss deer steak and rice. digin_2
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

sorry Howard, but Ms. Pats are made with Love!   :) your family stealing your favorite one...  maybe she can cut some in half and put around the edges, so you have enough of the center ones.   :D that is a funny story, and I would hate to ruin it for the GKs.  but they may see the humor in it.  Grandkids 100,  Granpa 0.   8) 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

PatD's biscuit size is always the same because she uses the old biscuit cutter that my Mom used.  There are always 4 in the center.

A cut off (soup?) can that my Dad made for her. 

Personally I like crust so I prefer an 'edge' biscuit.

Old saw fixer

Real lard makes better pie crusts and biscuits.  Used to be sold in 10 pound tins in most grocery stores.  Last time I found some was in the Mexican section at the grocery store, in a plastic tub like margarine is sold in.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

WV Sawmiller

Not as pretty and Miz Pat's and I don't know if we are using a smaller pan or just making bigger biscuits but since both kids and all 5 GKs are at Dollywood today I was able to eat the center biscuit with some blackberry jam (Yeah - the kind full of crunchy seeds). The wife did use the butter flavored Crisco and sweet milk instead of buttermilk but she does use buttermilk when we have any around.

We had fried deer cube steak, gravy from the trimmings (Oops - was that cinnamon instead of Black Pepper in the gravy - ah that's close enough) and a can of whole kernel corn. Yuumm.
Howard Green

Magicman

At least you did not have to wash your rolling pin and biscuit cutter.  ;D

Machinebuilder

Quote from: Old saw fixer on April 23, 2022, 12:33:38 PM
Real lard makes better pie crusts and biscuits.  Used to be sold in 10 pound tins in most grocery stores.  Last time I found some was in the Mexican section at the grocery store, in a plastic tub like margarine is sold in.
When I first moved to TN, (Pulaski), I was amazed at the vats of lard in the grocery store.
I knew about good cathead biscuits and gravy, but I can't make either to save my life.

My Mom never liked her own pie crusts until she started using lard.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

tyofwa

Quote from: Old saw fixer on April 23, 2022, 12:33:38 PM
Real lard makes better pie crusts and biscuits.  Used to be sold in 10 pound tins in most grocery stores.  Last time I found some was in the Mexican section at the grocery store, in a plastic tub like margarine is sold in.
Most butchers supporting the local farmers will have lard to sell.  It may require grinding & rendering, but most likely means low-production farm pigs.  I could not tell a difference in taste blindfolded, but the local stuff does seem to season our cast iron pans better.  
Embarking on a new journey.  Here to learn, grow, and share. 

Logosol M8 sawmill
iDry vacuum kiln
Avid CNC router
...lots of other equipment to support the above :-)

Running a woodworking business in NW Washington. 
www.coastalwood.works

aigheadish

You guys are reminding me that last batch of sausage gravy I made I had to add some leftover bacon grease because the sausage wasn't fatty enough to have enough grease in it. I added a couple tablespoons, probably. 

Also, I guess I'm going to have to try making my own biscuits, your pictures look delicious. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!