iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RETURNING FROM CAMP!

Started by doc henderson, June 12, 2022, 12:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I wanted to post some comments and pics of my past week at camp.  I happen to be a scoutmaster but thought others could post throughout the summer our experiences we want to share at youth camps.  

here is the crew.  I will not name the scouts, but my assistant scoutmaster is ret. LTC Army.  John.
we stayed at the Faith Presbyterian church in Colorado Springs.  This pic is at the Garden of the Gods.  We visited the USAF Acadamy, but the chapel was covered in a big tarp building for renovation.  This sign was in the Hungry Bear diner in Woodland Park.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Our camp is Camp Alexander BSA.  

this is the parade grounds and seen in the front is the troop 65 we shared a campsite with as we are now so small a troop.  used to have 50 active scouts, and 30 adults.  the first aid shack is up the hill in the background.  I made friends with the nurses.

Here we are in the Kiva for a campfire with skits, and patriotic events.  the flag and our military are revered.  It is round and the seats are covered, but the center is open to the stars.  450 folks inside.  first time full since covid.  We also had scoutmaster and senior patrol leader meetings in there each day.  there is a building for leaders with Wi-Fi, but usually about 40 folks trying to use it at a time.  It is linked to a satellite connection, so I had difficulty post as the week went by. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

It was a 7-hour drive from Hutch, and climbing at Garden of the Gods, helped scouts burn off some energy.

balancing rock.  

the last one looks like a bear cub nuzzling with momma bear.  On the last night in camp, we did have a bear sighting and causes lots of energy in camp.

doc henderson

here is the "single seed juniper" thought to be brought here by indigenous people and they planted one seed.  they grow slow, and often a 2-foot-tall tree with have a 10-foot tap root.  during dry periods, it can go dormant and not grow.  It often looks like it is sitting on top of the rock with little root attachment.  they often live 500 years.  

here is some cactus we also have in cactus and are taught to eat in BS if in need of water.  

this looks to be a form of Oak.

doc henderson

Here we are doing an adult service project finishing a deck on a 100 year old cabin.

Craig and Josh from the other troop from Co.

these guys are from Tx.  the one on the left is a contractor, and the one on the right is an orthopedic surgeon.

doc henderson

The boys did a service project for safety and conservation fixing the steps from the first aid shack to the Parade grounds.  each person goes up or down these steps at least 10 times a day, x 450 scouts each week.

adding railroad ties to replace rotted wood, and level and fill with sandy soil the treads area of each step.

doc henderson

for the swimmers in the group.  at about 40 degrees, some boys and leaders (not me) did the Polar bear plunge at 6 am.

Many were seen and heard reciting the scout oath and law after fully submerging in the cold lake.  usually we jump off you dock, but the water level is down.  they had 2 feet of snow 2 weeks prior to camp.

doc henderson

some flowering plants at camp for those who like that sort of thing.  the red orange ones are protected, and you are not allowed to pick these.  it is rumored to be Colorado law but may just be a nature center camp thing.  I have attended this camp 7 times.  first week is always a little chaotic.  I thrive in chaos.

and here is an early cone formation.  full pinecones are seen under the tree.  many lightning strike trees seen on the hike.

doc henderson

We did the Blue Mountain Hike.  camp is at 8200 feet and there is a 1000-foot rise to the top.  

<

our crew at the top.

doc henderson

a visitor near our covered table in camp.  they would chew on one banana in a bunch each time they were left out on the table.  referred to as mini bears at camp.

my day pack.  

doc henderson

We checked out at 7 am Saturday.  Our new brothers and sons in scouting troop 65 with our troop the last day.  

firefighter ontheside

Looks like a great trip and a great BS Camp to visit.  I would have liked that camp a lot.  The oak looks to be Gambel oak.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

uplander

Very good and that activity is going to benefit those young men the rest of their lives.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Old Greenhorn

Well, that all explains why you have been so quiet this past week. :D Looks like a beautiful camp. I had no idea you were SM. I had wrongly assumed you were an ASM, CC, or MC for some reason. In my 30+ years in Scouting I held them all, some a couple of times with 3 different troops and packs plus all the OA positions. I loved my time with the boys, especially at camp where you are placed in a 'different world' and all the priorities and different and mostly pleasant. Our council camp is/was 50 minutes away and I would be up there frequently working when no boys were in camp trying, with many others, to get things done. Mowing, painting, repairing, or building. My reasons for leaving the movement had to do with local politics, my son aging out, and not being treated (along with many of his buddies) properly by the council after years of their service. It wasn't pretty and even t5 years later, some remnants still drag on. I can give you details in private, but some of it would make a heck of a movie in social justice. Kara rules, but it takes time. A lot of time, and we have moved on since, but I keep tabs, it's a small town.
 Anyway, camp was sacred and special and it's own separate society. I loved every minute in that environment, even some very difficult ones that I would wish on no Scout leader.
 I love the southwest and some of your photos remind me of Philmont. I had many great experiences in CO, where I would visit often, as my brother lived their his entire adult life. I took my wife on a tour of the Springs area the year before were married and we spent a half day at Garden of the Gods. That place is amazing. Also Seven Falls, Idaho Springs, and Pikes peak. I am pretty sure this photo was taken at G of G in 1976 (Colorado's Centennial year).

I was a tad thinner in those days. Better looking too, at least at a distance in a fuzzy picture. ;D (Fun fact, that photo was taken about a month after I recovered from a spontaneous pneumothorax.)

Looks like you guys had a great trip in the high desert. Reminds me a lot of Philmont. IWTGBTP but that is not likely. Good on your whole crew, looks like they had a blast. I truly miss those days and could fall back into that in a heartbeat. My camp staff days were among the best experiences of my life. But that was a REALLY long time ago, nearly in the middle of the last century.
 Glad you guys had a Bully adventure!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

caveman

Good thread to start, Doc.  It looks like y'all had a great time and gave the boys some incredible experiences.

In about a month I'll be taking 12 FFA members to forestry camp.  Tomorrow, we head out to the FFA state convention, which will be in Orlando.  Our (my daughter and her husband coach them) parliamentary procedure team will begin their competition tomorrow.  The forestry team, land judging team, and other CDE teams along with American and state degree recipients will be recognized at the convention.  I would much rather be hiking out west than in an Orlando hotel and convention center.
Caveman

doc henderson

Please feel free to add to this post, as it is intended to be for all to share their experiences.

K-Guy

Reminds me of going to BS camp with my son's troop in cubs and then scouts. They will be memories that make smile again and again over the years. They tried to get me in leadership but at the time I couldn't make the commitment, so I helped out all I could.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

beenthere

I remember boy scout camp. 
Middle of the week we left the tents that were in circle on wood platforms and hiked out into the woods to pitch our pup tents and sleep on the ground. One night a skunk entered a pup tent and bit a scout. He grabbed the skunk and went to the scoutmasters tent who told him to let it go. But the boy refused as said it would bite him again. Stunk the place up pretty good. Boy had to take the rabies shots.

Also at Boy Scout camp was where we played what I thought was "mumblety-peg" but turns out it was "split the kipper". Throw a pocket knife so it stuck in the ground, then the opponent had to move his foot next to the knife. Then was his turn to do the same, and the feet kept getting closer and closer. Ended when you couldn't get the knife to stick in what ground was left between the feet. But those were the days... early 50's. 

Many stories to tell, and my boys had some similar ones to tell too. They survived. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bags

I'll bet all the young'in's and you old'in's too had a great time. It is Gambel Oak, and the orange flower is Indian Paintbrush (the state flower) and boy--- those high lakes can be pretty cold.lol.

My outfit is about 60 miles south of where you were camped, so I know you were have'in a good time in some good country.

When the local troop up here in our small town needs lumber for their projects--- I fire the mill up and we --- git'er done.

WV Sawmiller

A Letter from Camp Granada - YouTube

If any of you guys get to the big BS Jamboree between Beckley WV and Fayetteville WV and have some free time in you schedule before, after or during your stay give me a shout. I'm about 30 miles away. 

I should talk to the folks and do a workshop and take the mill over. Should be plenty of help off-bearing, they should be able to provide the logs and could use the lumber for various projects.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

just got back from a beer brew competition, kind of camp for dads.  My buddy Jim and his son Zane.  got a lot of info and tried about 30 brews.  most home brew, and 3 commercial vendors.  all in 2 oz. cups.  

hot summer.  smiley_beertoast

@Jeff note the shirt!

Jeff

I was kinda expecting to see a bonus non beer keg sitting there
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

samandothers

Great pictures Doc!  I too expected it might be a Philmont trip.  It looked like a great camp too where you ended up.  I have a picture some where I believe with some of our troop boys posing as if they would push a balancing rock in Garden of the Gods over.  Our last troop trip to Philmont was in June 2003, we had snow at our camp on Mt. Philips.  Great memories.

I look forward to other pictures posted by the folk here. 

doc henderson

the discussion of refilling the FF cask has begun!

aigheadish

I have a very fond spot for camp in my heart. I did a few of the BS trips which were good, actually better than what I'm about to write about in many ways. The comradery was better with the scouts and I remember being more comfortable talking to others. However, I only went on a few of those trips. The one I recall the best was when I was probably 13 or 14 and living in West Virginia. We went into the mountains of eastern WV, though I only vaguely remember where, in the winter and went tromping around in the snow. It was the deepest snow I've ever walked around in, like 3 feet deep. We ended up making tunnels down the sides of these hills to slide through and it was tons of fun. 

My stepdad ran a couple YMCA camps in the greater Cincinnati area when I was around maybe 10-13 years old. I spent a few weeks a year as a camper, which I didn't really like due to being too shy, but man, I loved hanging around the camp behind the scenes. It was really neat to run around and see and do things the other kids didn't really get to do, but that was usually as simple as seeing the horses in the barn without others around and hanging out in the kitchen. When I was 12-13 I spent about a summer at the younger kids camp as a kind of unofficial junior counselor and I really liked doing that too. 

I wouldn't be who I am today without camp.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!