iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with new foodplots

Started by Jeff, July 23, 2022, 08:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

WOW!! That looks Awesome 💪💪. Very nice!!!!!!.  You got me pumped! Can't wait to get my oats in!!!

Jeff

I had the mulcher out again yesterday. It just amazes me what he accomplishes in 2 hrs. I spent a whole week locating and whacking out a new trail that would gain me access to the back of my property, that turns out is pretty decent. Cutting and hacking and dragging. I had the mulcher come in to make it passable for my tractor and brushhog. It took him about 20 minutes! The balance was spent creating an isolated food plot buried over a quarter mile back on the west edge of my property.  

The new plot is completely different soil. No clay. He spent some time tilling it with the mulcher to really get the roots out. I had the tractor back there last night and ran over it with the brush hog, and hopefully today ill hit it with the landscape rake, and throw some winter rye on it and see what happens.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Walnut Beast

Looks good! And that's with a Skidsteer mulcher that everyone says can't do this and that 💪. Lots of boys with skids working everyday day in and day out! And yes they have big Prentice and steel tracked units. It's going to feel good when you get a deer after all the hard work you been doing 👍💪

Walnut Beast

I would plant oats in there mixed with clover and some of the others that will come up in the spring. Oats will be good deep into late then do a light inner seeding in the spring or over the snow late

Jeff

Magicman

Do I see where your "Wheel House" might visit?  ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

No need for it back there. This one is more like the straw house.. I took petes blind and cut windows in the back. Ive been out raking. Here is a couple of pics.

Magicman

Guess that you could name it "Pete's Back House".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Don P on August 10, 2022, 11:02:49 AM
Interesting, you are running as acid as we are on granite soils.
The trouble with the calcium is it weathers and goes away with the rain or soil water. Even if you're sitting on calcareous formations, which we are up here on the potato belt, the calcium is beyond the rooting depth. It would be nice if calcium rose to the top, but it don't work that way with water and gravity unless your submerged. Been a few million years since these hills were under water. :D And yes they were.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Deer love oats up here. I've seen a few 10 pointers over the years coming out of oat fields and crossing the road in the headlights of the truck. :D Most of those buggers seem to be nocturnal. Day time it's just does and fawns around in plain view. These days not many of any of them to see.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Planted to mixed clovers. We shall see. Ill over seed with oats if I can get some. Not near as much tractor time needed on this one.

jb616

DanG @Jeff , you will have the Eastern UP Deer Buffet there before long....

Jeff

This is the 4th time I have had the mulcher to my property, and each time the transformations are like magic. Things like trails and foodplots and even ponds appear or reappear that didn't even exist earlier, in just a couple of hours. Machine time can seem expensive, but the results have saved dozens and dozens of man hours. It really is a great bang for your buck. I made a video showing how a quarter mile long foot trail was made tractor friendly and a 1/2 acre food plot constructed by hiring a Forestry Mulcher for just 2 hours@ $200 an hour, so all this for $400 bucks.

2 Hour Foodplot! Like Magic with a Forest Mulcher! CHEAPER THAN YOU THINK! - YouTube

thecfarm

If I did not have rocks every 10 feet. I would hire one of them. And that's the rocks that can be seen. Many more just under the leaves, needles on the ground.
Yes, I big time saver. I've been doing that here for more than 40 years. Probably the money you spent on it this year would have done what I have done in 40 years.  :(
I do have a few acres that is not covered with rocks. Then right beside it, I could not even drive my tractor through that piece because of all the rocks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Yea, rocks are not good for a mulcher.

JD Guy

Hey Jeff, The whole time that I've been watching your progress on the food plots I kept thinking....he is making perfect Grouse habitat and then there hey are! Good on you for investing in the habitat👍🏻. You will also enjoy some fine Grouse meals as a benefit 😁.

Jeff

Ya know, If given a choice between a grouse breast, and a venison tenderloin, and I love venison, ILL TAKE DA GROUSE! 8)

Jeff

Love it when a plan comes together. Tonight I was going to walk down to the pond to feed the bullheads. I Got to my sunflower and switchgrass screen, and that is where I noticed her, feeding in the recent blush of clover. I turned back to the house and got my phone, and she paid me hardly any mind, she had had(tom) to hear us talking up at the cabin, we are on the screen porch alot.

thecfarm

Get a tractor and you will see even more.  ;)
I have just started to see them here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Mother said she saw deer tracks in the garden. That is pretty rare up here. But down in Grafton it was a daily event. :D

Walnut Beast

Quote from: thecfarm on September 02, 2022, 08:26:18 AM
If I did not have rocks every 10 feet. I would hire one of them. And that's the rocks that can be seen. Many more just under the leaves, needles on the ground.
Yes, I big time saver. I've been doing that here for more than 40 years. Probably the money you spent on it this year would have done what I have done in 40 years.  :(
I do have a few acres that is not covered with rocks. Then right beside it, I could not even drive my tractor through that piece because of all the rocks.
The FAE rock crusher for a big skid is being used by some for food plots. It won't chew up the roots underneath the soil as good as a subsoiler but it chews them up, makes a nice seed bed and any rocks are chewed up as well. 

thecfarm

I am talking rocks here 3-4-5 feet across and some 3 feet high. And that is what can be seen.

I can count about 10. 
There are plenty more just over the horizon!!!
This was all woods. 
Was a field many years ago.
Any trees you see are red oak.

Jeff

Im doing no til, but that will be a challenge next year with the price of glysophate. I seeded clovers in everything everywhere in hopes that at least mowing might maintain some sort of plots.

newoodguy78

Frost seeding may be a good option , let's Mother Nature do the work for you 

Walnut Beast

Thank You Sponsors!