iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Florida lobsters

Started by TroyC, August 11, 2022, 03:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyC

Good size ones this year. That's what's for dinner, grilled and soaked in garlic butter. Add some taters, onions, carrots, and bell peppers all wrapped in foil and cooked on the grill. 😋

Walnut Beast

Don P

Real lobster :). I'm hoping for a feast when some friends come back in a couple of weeks.

Raider Bill

Bugs, it's what's for dinner!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Southside

If they don't have claws, they ain't Lobstah.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TroyC

21incher

Quote from: TroyC on August 11, 2022, 11:36:04 AM
What's a claw????

:D
The best tasting part 😋. Cut those tough old tails up for lobster rolls.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Southside

The claw is the part you eat, the rest is just bait for more Lobstah!! 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

K-Guy

Quote from: TroyC on August 11, 2022, 11:36:04 AMWhat's a claw?

Troy
I don't know if you are aware of it but Southside is from Maine and is a true blue Mainah. ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

WDH

Stan, we don't hold that against him.  He could not help it till he got grown then he took care of that  ;).  He changed his name from Chris to Jim, too.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TroyC

Well, just returned from the lobster trip and gotta say, it was a great year! I do 2 weeks in the Keys every August and this was one of the best for weather and bugs. I used to dive and snorkel for them but nowadays we just go out at night and bullynet. Shallow water (1' or less) the lobsters come out at night to feed and we net them. Cool, no sunburn, don't have to get in the water. I use a J16 Carolina Skiff with tilt on the motor so I can get in some really skinny water.

For my Northern friends..... our Spiney Lobsters down south are quite different than the ones with claws. Ours are sweeter and tender, I like them grilled with butter and garlic. They also make a pretty mean simple and easy Lobster Fettuccine. You can deep fry them with some Zatarin's coating and they make great appetizer or even a meal. Before I learned the grilling trick, I boiled a few of them. They were not so sweet and tender. I tried the claw ones in Maine a few years back. They were OK. The big bib thing kept most of the splatters off of me from smashing the claws with the mallet. There is no learning curve to eating a spiney like there is the clawed ones. Just sayin'.......

Raider Bill

While you are here I think scallop season just started.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

kantuckid

My wife saw a recent TV comment that said a ME lobster roll was selling for $45 bucks! I'd easily gag on one at that price. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Ricker

$45 bucks? They should be in jail. They are going for $4-$5 a pound from the roadside guys.  One lobster makes a pretty good roll, 2 lobsters for a xxl one.

K-Guy

My wife told me about that too. It's one of those places that rip off the rich people by saying their chef has a secret recipe, uses only virgin lobsters or some such bull.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Southside

Probably made from certificate gluten free Lobstah.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

TroyC

Last week in the Keys my friend bought whole spineys for 7.00/lb. What a bargain! Costco sells frozen tails for 29.99/lb. Fortunately I catch all my seafood, fresh and no preservatives. 

Old Greenhorn

Organic, free range lobsters. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TroyC

Danny, I'll bring you  a few up in a couple weeks if your are near the farm. I'll be doing food plots. You can test if the grass fed are better than the cold water ones 😊

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

TroyC

Is that a wet suit?  Ha! Must be one of them cold water lobsters. (Or west coast one.)

tule peak timber

Yes, West coast cold water. The further south into Baja Mexico the bugs start looking like yours. All good man!

Walnut Beast

tule peak timber

Quote from: Walnut Beast on August 25, 2022, 11:15:14 AM
STUD!!!!
Keep in mind the date of the pic-The lobsters were bigger then, and I was smaller !

Southside

Pretty sure I would not go back in the water seeing that thing swimming around.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

TroyC

They get 10-14 lbs along Florida's east coast, Ft Pierce, Daytona. 50-80' water, cold. That's why I go to the Keys, shallow and warm. 

Thank You Sponsors!