iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gehl telehandler

Started by dewwood, October 18, 2006, 06:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewwood

I am looking at a Gehl telehandler and wondered if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this machine.  It is an older model in the 5000 lb range, four wheel drive with rear steering.  The majority of the components are Ford which is good because Gehl ceased to exist about a year ago.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Engineer

Don't know anything about the machine, but Gehl is still a strong company.  Their website says they posted record quarterly sales this year.   www.gehl.com

beenthere

I thought I heard that Gehl just got out of the Ag equipment....feed grinders, choppers, etc. Don't know where telehandlers fit in their scheme (will look at their site).
I looked, and their homesite doesn't indicate they reduced their ag line much, if any. There is a press release put out in April that their ag line would cease in 60 days, but dealer support would continue for parts. ??   Telehandlers still are shown too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dewwood

The dealer(Terex) who has the machine is the one that told me Gehl was out of business, perhaps he had heard that the ag line ceased production and interpreted that to mean the entire company was out of business.  I am glad to know that Gehl is alive and well and hopefully parts will be available if I decide to buy this machine.  They are supposed to bring it out for a trial before I would consent to purchasing it.  I have not used this type of machine before but it appears to be able to do the things I need.  I know Bibbyman likes his and that is what gave me the idea to look for this type of machine.  My current forklift is fine but I cannot go off of solid ground with it which makes retreiving logs from the log yard difficult.  I have another loader but it is a bit small for handling some of the logs I get in and moving lumber stacks.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Engineer

From what little I know about Gehl, they seem to be solid reliable equipment.  If you can fit a set of grapple forks to that machine, it would be great for off-road log handling.   

Raphael

Which series Telehandler is the Gehl you are looking at?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Quartlow

one of the rental companies I worked for had them. The only problems I can remeber really having was the electric shuttle shift handle.
The ones we had where powered by John Deere engines. Good stout machine, it wasn't a Lull. Which I all ways thought was the caddy of telescopic forklifts. But it put up with the rental industry and that says a lot. Guys who rent don't care what they do to things usually
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

dewwood

Raphael,

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but did not know the model number, it is a model MD54 Dynamite.  It is a fairly compact unit with four wheel drive and two wheel rear steer.  I cannot tell yet how it handles as they just brought it and have not played with it yet.  I am going to go try it now.

Raphael

Let us know how it's working for you... post pics if you can.
Something along those lines is very high on my wish list, for my purposes the perfect machine would be a 36ft. 5+ton telehandler w/the extra grapple hydraulics plus a swiveling seat and a 3pt. hitch on the back end.  Not and option I've seen.  ::)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

johnnytugs1

Just incase anybody was interested, my bro-in-law has this one and loves it. just changed out the starter and was looking for the fuse box and came across this thread. here's the parts manual link incase you need it.

http://www.hawkinsequipment.com/gehl-parts-manuals/Telescopic-Handler/CT5-16-CT5-16-Turbo-Telescopic-Handler-Parts-Manual-913226B.pdf

thecfarm

Good to see a new member reading the old posts. Welcome to the forum. Got a mill? Chainsaw?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry forum, johnnytugs1.  Drag up a stump and tell us a bit about your sawing, lumber, wood, etc. interest.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

chet

SO......what did you think of it, after da test run.  You're making me very envious. :)

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kirby Cole

I have two 663 Gehls and really like them. Great for sawmill. Don't know how I would survive without them.

farmfromkansas

Think the Gehl company was sold several years ago, and they stopped making some ag equipment.  I would call a Gehl dealer and see if parts are available for the unit you are looking at.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!