iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gotta love Cabela's

Started by Brad_S., October 02, 2009, 02:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ

The only drawback to the Cabela's opening in Scarborough Maine, is now my catalog orders to Cabela's get Maine sales tax (was not this way before).

Happend because LL Bean tried to block the store opening by leveraging state goverment by pointing out that state taxes are not charged for catalog Cabela's orders.  LL Bean's charges Maine tax on all catalog orders, even from out of state customers.

The Cabela's store highlights the poor job LL Bean does serviceing oudoorsy customers.

LL Bean's was much better before they change marketing to target uptight uppies.   I remember buying downriggers and trolling/spinning tackle at Beans years ago; but now you can only find waders and fly fishing tackle.  It is not popular in urban Maine to fish for dinner anymore (gasp if you use bait!).

Kittery Traiding Post is a outstanding store, and any hunter who travels into Maine on I-95 is well served to stop  there (though it may be expensive stop).

JJ

Larry

Anybody remember Herter's back in the 60's?  The arrival of the 2" thick catalog was cause for celebration.  They had everything I could possibly want in life...bullets that would reach out and drop an elk at 1,000 yards without the hunter even aiming his rifle, fishing lures that would guarantee a limit and maybe a world record.  Each item had a page or two extolling its virtues as to why it was best in the world.

We had a new Sportsmans Warehouse here in NW Arkansas that I thought of highly as it was a place that stocked what we needed.  The recession along with other causes done em in...a Canadian outfit picked up the pieces and unfortunately closed our store.  Maybe Academy will take the building over...I don't think we have the population to support a Cabela's or Bass Pro.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

Remember George Herter's catalog from Wauseca, MN very well.

Ebay is a place to get some copies of the old catalogs. Everything World Famous and approved by Hudson Bay Assoc. (or something like that).  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on October 03, 2009, 11:48:47 AM
I love wool!
checked the Stanfield site and it appears that the wool underwear is available only in stores, but i couldn't find any near me in Central NY state
Darn.
Pete

Not even in the NB stores unless you buy that cream colored wool. It's good wool, but it ain't the heavy wool I wanted. I looked all over today in several stores, most only had their cotton/Polyester blend. One fellow had the cream colored stuff and I quoted Dirty Harry. I guess your [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] out of luck! I said in Prince Rupert they had it piled 3 shelves high. He said I guess they have no call for it (the heavy wool). To myself I said they don't know it exists unless it's on the shelf.  ::) ::)

I guess I have to call Truro at their outlet store. Sure piths a guy off you can't get stuff made practically next door.  :-X >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Reddog

Quote from: beenthere on October 03, 2009, 10:06:58 AM
Quote from: rebocardo on October 03, 2009, 03:34:25 AM
They have a nice little LED flashlight that runs on a 9V battery and comes with a rubber housing. I mainly wanted it so I would not waste my smoke alarm batteries. ...................................

rebo
I'm trying to grasp how the LED, or the 9V battery, or the rubber housing saves smoke alarm batteries...   Not that I NEED to know, but you have my curiosity up.  ;D

My guess here is because when you pull the 9V battery from a smoke detector at the recommended time change, it still has a lot of life left in it.

This way he can use up the rest of the battery. :)

beenthere

I can guess too. :) Thought rebocardo could tell what he had figured out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ErikC

We went to Reno or a few days last winter, and saw Cabelas there. e lso went to a Scheels that is in Reno. Liked 'em both a lot, We'll probably go back for a few days this winter and stop by. We mail order from Cabelas all the time and are happy with the service and prices.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

I did a little Googling on the web yesterday for Stanfield's heavy wool underwear. Only places that sold them were in BC and the Yukon.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I have two suits of Stanfield's heavy rib knit 80/20 wool/nylon underwear on it's way. Be here Friday free shipping direct from the Truro factory outlet.  8)

Reddog

Quote from: beenthere on October 03, 2009, 05:59:23 PM
I can guess too. :) Thought rebocardo could tell what he had figured out.

Well beenthere,
Whats your guess?

Paul_H

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 05, 2009, 05:26:31 PM
I have two suits of Stanfield's heavy rib knit 80/20 wool/nylon underwear on it's way. Be here Friday free shipping direct from the Truro factory outlet.  8)

I sent you a IM before I saw this post.We have Stanfields in the store here in town,it's common to see people wearing them Fall through Spring although my Uncle Harold wears them in the Summer too.
Anyhow,we buy them a size larger and boil them first(smells like wet chicken feathers) so they shrink some but thicken a little in the process.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Paul_H on October 05, 2009, 10:34:30 PM
Smells like wet chicken feathers.

:D :D Well, he'd be a warm chicken anyway.

Mooseherder

Throw in a couple Bouillon Cubes for flavor. ;D

Larry

The Christmas Cabela's catalog showed up in the mailbox today...iffen I could figure out how to burn Cabela and Bass Pro catalogs I would never need to cut another stick of firewood in my life.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Raider Bill

Sportsman guide too, I get about 3 a week it seems. My problem [and again I have more than one] is I always find something I have to have. :P
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

Hi Swamp Donkey,
Do the have a website (Stanfields)
or a phone #
I love wool.
Thanks Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

Yeah Pete,

Here is the web so you can at least know what we are after.

http://www.stanfields.com

I think you have looked at that link, maybe not.

The Stanfield's Factory Outlet is:

1 Logan Street
Truro, Nova Scotia
B2N 5C2
Phone: (902) 895-5406
Fax: (902) 893-8187

email: factoryoutlet@stanfields.com

If you don't have a long distance telephone plan you can use 10-10-925 followed by the number including "1" prefix, which is YAK Communications at 5 cents a minute. It appears on your phone bill. Don't need to sign up for anything to dial the number. I'm just throwing that out there for anyone that has no plan for long distance calls. Works in both USA and Canada. I've used it for years and pay next no nothing for long distance and I don't have to pay for a plan as a recurring bill.

isawlogs

Raider , my problem (one of um ) ( but not too many ) is that I find what I need in the catalogue or sale pamphlet about a week after the sale is over ...  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

petefrom bearswamp

Hi Donkey man
got an email from a young lady about a week ago, answered. but nothing yet.
Thanks for the info
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!