iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Road Trip - asking for help

Started by treecyclers, September 16, 2009, 10:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treecyclers

My fellow sawyers, the time has come for me to pack up and head back to where my family is.
I'll be going from Phoenix to Binghamton, NY in about 10 days.
I plan to take I-40 to Oklahoma City, then I44 to St Louis, I70 to Indianapolis, I71 to I271 to Erie, PA, I90 to I86, which turns into I17 on home. CHANGE OF ROUTE - see below!
It'll be me and my pup making the road trip, with everything I own on my 30' flatbed gooseneck, including my sawmill.
We'll be heavy, but if anyone is along my route and has a place we can camp out in the yard, we'd really appreciate it.
I hope to get there in 4 days, perhaps 5 if Wyatt cooperates and we can make good time.
Thanks in advance!
Dave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

fishpharmer

It's a little out of the way but you can leave that mill at my house for a while :D ;D ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Cedarman

Treecyclers,
You would have to take I64 to Marengo and then catch I71 to Columbus, but you could stop by here.
Cedarman
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Raider Bill

Wish I could help but I'm a tad out of your way. Binghamton will be getting beautiful this time of year! I used to deer hunt in that area. Pack warm clothes cause them NY winters are just around the bend ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

breederman

welcome back! We are just down I 88 a few miles.
Together we got this !

Stan snider

If you need to land between Tulsa and Joplin get ahold of me. Old US66 is my front yard. Stan

jdtuttle

You can stop here for the night but I'm only 30 miles from Binghamton. Look me up when you get back home.
Jim
Have a great day

Captain

Have a great trip Dave.  Make it a memorable one.

Captain

DanG

Come on now folks, there's gotta be a bunch of Forumites along that route.  Heck, I'm tempted to run up there to Ohio or Kansas or some other Godforsaken place like that and buy some land so Dave will have a place to stay!

Best of luck to ya Dave.  I guess you have Treecycled both of the trees in Phoenix, eh? :D :D  Binghamton should prove to be more friendly to someone in your particular niche. ;D ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

okmulch

It would be a little out of the way but you are more then welcome to stop here in Stillwater Oklahoma. We are a about 50 miles north of Oklahoma City and when you hit the road you can take the Cimmarron turnpike out of Stillwater to Tulsa.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

treecyclers

Folks,
With everything that's going on, I haven't been online since I posted my original message.
What I found here this morning brought tears of joy to my eyes.
That so many of our group here would offer me a place to rest my head without having ever met me, is breathtaking.
It surely shows that good, old fashioned, true American Values still live in our hearts.
I sure am touched in the heart.
Thank you all so very much!
And, as I have pondered things, it's been a very long time since I've been in Knoxville, TN. I'll be altering my route slightly to ensure that I get to see things there.
So, basically, I-40 to Knoxville, I-81 to Binghamton.
My goals for travel are:
Departing Phoenix monday evening, stop in Prescott to visit a few people.
Tuesday, Prescott to Oklahoma. Where exactly, I don't know.
Wednesday - OK to TN. (Unless someone wants to go hog hunting with me on the way through there, then I'll stop surely.)
Thursday - TN to as far as I can go north.
Friday - Arrive in Binghamton and see my folks & brother.

YEs, I think I got the last couple cuttable trees in Phoenix last week.
God Bless you all, and I'll be seeing you all shortly!
My Cell phone # is 480-363-2520/888-453-8733.
Dave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Raider Bill

Dave,

My Tenn place is in Englewood, tn just off 75 about a hour from Knoxville. I will not be there but you are more than welcome to rest up there. Let me know I'll have my friend turn the lights and water on for you.

johnjbc

When you come through Pennsylvania on Rt 81 you will be 4 mi. from my house near Carlisle. We have lots of room.
John
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Ironwood

Treecyclers,

I want to meet you. I was just up in the Binghamton area, and will be up near there fairly frequently. Yes, it is a nice area. I will also be going up to see Coldnorth who is just south of the border on 81 in Pa. (he's got a winch I need ;))

Keep in touch. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

treecyclers

There's 2 areas that I would really appreciate some guidance on places I can camp out with wiener dog - just as added coverage in case I get sleepy while between waypoints.
If anyone has ideas for around Amarillo, and ideas for between OK and Knoxville, I'm all ears.
I think I'm good for up to 800 miles a day, but that's an awful long day, especially for wiener dog, and he'll wanna goof off some before going to sleep i'm sure.
And, if anyone has a boar problem they'd like my help with, I'm all game too!
Did I mention that the meat smoker will be on board with my personal stash of pecan?
Dave & Wyatt (the wiener dog)

Ironwood

I always like to stay at da, 'Hotel De Ford" when on the road.  :D My kid get a kick out of this, but really all I need is some grub and an occasional shower and " I'm fine" (Jeff Spicoli quote Fast Times Ridgemont High). Rates are good, and if all else fails cruise into a Wally World, as they allow overnight parking/camping (No tents, RV and vehicals only). You get bonus points if you find a Wally World next to a Cracker Barrel  8)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

timberfaller390

we've got some of the best hog hunting in the south around here but we are a long ways out of the way.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

treecyclers

timberfaller390, I'll have to catch you on another run then, my friend.
As for the Hotel de Ford, of which I am a proud member, is a great idea.
But, with all the stuff I am packing, there won't be any space for wiener dog and I to crash out in the cab. It's either on the bed of the truck or in a tent, preferably in a tent, as wiener dog has been known to wander off on occasion.
He sees every human as an opportunity - to love on him, and pay homage to the wiener dog!
Plus, the security of my "hardware" in the cab is also high priority.
If we're someplace secluded, wiener dog wakes me up if he hears something, and it minimizes the potential for someone attempt to reappropriate my meager belongings.
Dave

semologger

Ya need to you could stop off here in southeast mo. I could put ya up in my camper for a night.

treecyclers

Just a quick update on the road trip plan:
Just got a small cutting project in Show Low, AZ, for a close friend.
Still leaving Phoenix on Monday, but stopping there for a day to cut.
Anticipate being near OK City on Wednesday, Knoxville on Thursday, and hopefully Binghamton on Friday.
Dave

treecyclers

UPDATE from THE ROAD-
Spent a few days in Concho, AZ with my best buds, sawing up a bit of ponderosa pine, shooting the bull, and preparing the load for the run east.
Departing tomorrow morning for OKC at dawn, as the winds that have closed I-40 have been absolutely brutal, and |it terrifies me to run as heavy as I am through them.
Weather check says I should be fine through the whole route, as the front system seems to be moving through and I should be in the backside safe zone.
Don't know how my internet access will be for the rest of the trip, but rest assured that I will double check when I have the opportunity.
God Bless!
Dave

Raider Bill

beenthere

treecyclers
Good luck on that trip.
Do you have a pic of your load that you will have?

We like pics.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treecyclers

have a pic of the load, and it's big and heavy. Figure I'm in at about 12-13 tons total, with everything that's on there.
Will be doing the final load check after breakfast, and rolling to OKC to link up with my friend Oren.
Raider |Bill, I'll be looking for your location probably tomorrow night, late.
Dave

stonebroke

You should get here just in time to see the leaves turn.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!