iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HOT Today

Started by Magicman, May 24, 2010, 07:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

When my kids were young, no one was allowed to smoke on my property, even my parents.  they have both since (15 years) died of lung cancer.  My daughter once saw my dad smoking about age 8 and said "WOW" when smoke came out his mouth and nose.  back in the day, it was promoted as good for the nerves in the military.  I understand it is addictive and that most folks of that generation smoked.  Now they vape.  I started as a respiratory therapist in 1980 to work through school and then 85% of RTs smoked.  I did not want them to think it was cool cause they saw grandpa smoking.  Out of respect I assume most folks do not even think of smoking on my property.  We burn stuff in a barrel around the sawmill, and that is prob. a bigger fire hazard.  The sawdust can smolder like a punk.  I am responsible for that.  I still remember doing a demo at @customsawyer event where I used potassium permanganate and glycerin to demo spontaneous combustion to start fires, and my sawdust made fire starters.  A good time was had by all.   :)   I have a big burn barrel from a combine wheel, and if I have coals in there, I then fill it to the top with sawmill dust/shavings and it never catches fire but smolders away over 4 days or so.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Yea, some of us remember you thinking that starting a fire in a sawmill building was a good idea.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Um, aftermath of fire in a sawmill building...

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

47° here this morning so I doubt that it will be HOT.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Good thing you're not far from the wood pile. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

firefighter ontheside

It seems we are done with the hot for the year.  36 deg as I type this.  Was 60 deg yesterday for the high.  Probably about same for today.  Supposed to be a warm fall, so I assume that means a lot of 60s.  I wont complain about that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

got a lot done yesterday.  heat tolerance must wane as we get older.  Or we choose not to push and get acclimated to the heat, and only work hard when we want! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

Here the people are punkin' pickin' and hear the furnace kickin' in...
No more weather warming, frost warning in the morning. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

We have an 87° forecast for Friday but hopefully the 90°'s are gone.

I will probably be "bringing up da wood" this week so we will be ready when the cooler weather gets here.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

50's weather here all next week. Last week of thinning trees for this year.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

caveman

High sixties at night here and close to 90° during the day for the next week or more.  We have not had rain in quite a while.  It looks like smoke puffs when walking in the yard and the grass is crunchy.  
Caveman

Magicman

We had a bruiser here too @89°.  We are still topping records for heat and dryness.  :-X

It looks like we might get some precipitation Sat, Sun, & Mon of this and next week and with the temps dropping to 24° toward the middle of the week.  There is Snow in for 2am Monday.  Of course those forecasts are for the valley, not where we will be.  We need to be prepared for and expect anything.

We are excited!!   ;D  

SwampDonkey

38F and stars this morning, but likely will drop some more by day break. Might be our first frost on the ridge.

RetiredTech

Quote from: Magicman on October 23, 2023, 10:02:43 PMWe had a bruiser here too @89°

It is still hot down here, but I'm thankful we're out of those triple digit days. Grass is beginning to get crunchy again. We could use a good slow rain.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Southside

Was 32 here yesterday at day break, didn't see what this morning was but pretty close. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Rhodemont

Beautiful here in RI.  mid 60's and clear since a DOWNPOUR on Saturday.  We are going to have a Hot spell climbing toward 80 this week ( 1919 80deg current high temp record for this Saturday).
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

jasonb

The burn bans in several parishes around Baton Rouge have been lifted and the first meaningful rain since May has fallen last night.  Several inches of standing water at the sawmill shed but that will be gone by midday.
HM122

sawguy21

We got our first snow last night, just a dusting but it's here. :'( 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Yupper, Hot Today.  Thankfully today I was shaded for the 5 hours of sawing.  I knew that tomorrow's sawing customer had no shade and was sorta dreading calling him when I got a text from him wanting to know if we could wait until October to saw his logs.   ffcheesy  YES.

I suppose that this pushes that 100+ log job to the top.  I will make a site visit tomorrow and see what his shade situation is.  I already know the answer and it ain't good, but I still have to get the customer out there and make a decision.  :uhoh:

Southside

Heat index was 123F today according to my weather station.  This is impacting the cows in a big way.  Was trying to bush hog some Horse Nettle before it can throw mature seed and had to get off the tractor and lie down in the shade for a while and nod off.  Times like this I begin to look at farm land in far northern Maine that is for sale. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

:wink_2:  I thought it was beautiful day up here.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy 

newoodguy78

Any farm land for sale in your area Swamp?  ffcheesy ffcheesy

doc henderson

Now I can see @Southside moving cattle and chickens back south every winter.

Magicman

Yikes, Snow Bird chickins & cows.  That puts "free range" in a completely different category.   ffwave  

Magicman

IMG_6195.JPG
I just noticed the customer and tailgunner's empty water bottles in the back of yesterday's trailer and we only sawed 5 hours in the shade.  smiley_sweat_drop

Thank You Sponsors!