iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lights for saw shed

Started by Steve_M, March 23, 2012, 11:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_M

I am sure this has been discused before, but I can't find it right now.  I am ready to put lights in my new building.  This is a 50 x 90 x14 pole barn.  I do most of my sawing in the evenings and only part time. I would expect to have lights on an average of 2 hours a day.  I don't need equal light in the whole building.

I would like a reasonably cheap fixture/light combination that will give me good light to work in--especially around the saw and edger.  Is there a temp or color that I should be looking for? Is there a there a level of light per cubic foot of space recomendation?  Effiency is a mild concern because of the volume of light needed and a .16/kw electric rate.  I would appreiate any advice or if someone could point me to a previous discoussion.

I ment to put this on the Sawmilling board.

Thanks

Steve
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

DouginUtah

If you use fluorescents do not buy T12 bulbs, go for T8. As for color the higher the better (6500K). I just bought shop lights (2 tubes x 4' for ~$20.00) from Lowes--bulbs extra. One watt per square foot will get you in the ballpark.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

learydeere

My building is 20x50 and i have four 200w clear bulbs and that is more than enough light to saw at night

Den Socling

I highly recommend 65W CFL's. The light is like daylight. They last for years. And one can cover a wide area. You can get them from Lowes.

opticsguy

After discovering the 300W  5600K bulbs, I would not use anything else!!!  These are fantastic lights sources.  The bulbs are about $12 each and screw into your standard socket, $2 each.

If i was building my workshop today, I would not be using long tube flourescents

I now use these in my two car garage, my basement and more.  Sunshine inside!!  Buy one and try it out in an exisiting fixture, that is the only way you will know. The very first time you turn one of these bulbs on they take a few minutes to get going but they are faster later.  Try one!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Larry

Shop is 1,500 square foot.  I put up 16 T8 fixtures and it looks like a hospital operating room.  A bit more than 1 watt/sf.  My ceiling is white tin and white walls so I suppose that helps with light output.  These fixtures are the kind that use four 4' T8 bulbs.  I put the lights up in two stages.  The first time I got 8 fixtures from Lowes and the cheapest bulbs.  Second time I got the fixtures from Home Depot and the more expensive Philips daylight deluxe bulbs which are 6,500K.

In review the fixtures from Home Depot were a bit easier to install but had a very slight hum.  Not noticeable at all unless your trying to snooze but why would ya have the lights on than?  The lights are instant on from either store.  No flicker from any of them.  I'm not sure how they would operate in real cold weather, but they have worked well here in Arkansas.  Not a big difference in brands and if I needed more I would get them wherever they were the cheapest.

Maintenance has been pretty good.  I've replaced a couple of bulbs over the last four years and one ballast.  I think the ballast may have been bad or marginal from the start. 

No comparison on the bulbs.  Get the daylight bulbs up front, even though they cost more, as the light is so much better quality.  They say our eyes need a lot more light as we age...can't imagine that. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ForestMan

What about a pair of motion operated solar battery powered 500 watt floodlights.  Would not have to worry about electricity then, or a light switch.  They would only turn on at night and only if there is motion in the shop.

If you see a light on in the shop at night and you are not there, then you either have rats or a thief.  Either way, time to get out "old faithful".

Old faithful - a .50 caliber pistol, shells cost $2.00 apiece and can bring down an elephant.  I don't own this, but it has been on my wish list for years.  Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Lud

I'm getting away from flourescents.  I like the CFL's light and they do last.  Put 12 up in my new 32' x 32' in 3 runs of 4.  Only turn on what you need by giving yourself options.  I bought the contractor's pack to save a bit. ;)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Steve_M

Thanks for the recomendations.  I think I will be going with the large CLF's for my first circuit and see how I like them.

Steve
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

scsmith42

Quote from: Den Socling on March 24, 2012, 11:33:58 AM
I highly recommend 65W CFL's. The light is like daylight. They last for years. And one can cover a wide area. You can get them from Lowes.

+1.  These are a great solution, long lasting and inexpensive.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

1938farmall

i notice the specs for the cfl bulbs say they won't work at below zero temperature.  does anyone have experience with temps down around zero ?
aka oldnorskie

Magicman

Quote from: 1938farmall on March 27, 2012, 10:17:46 AM
does anyone have experience with temps down around zero ? 

:o :o  Not in Mississippi !!!   That would be when I put another log on the fire.   fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jdonovan

i notice the specs for the cfl bulbs say they won't work at below zero temperature.  does anyone have experience with temps down around zero ?

A CFL, or any FL for that matter is an arc lamp. At low temps the ballast doesn't have the required energy to 'start' the arc and light the lamp.

At cool temps that will mean low output and/or low efficiency. At VERY low temps the lamp may never even light.

CFL's would be a bad choice for outdoor lighting in Wisconsin... except perhaps at a summer home =).

tcsmpsi

I have a 50' corded, outdoor lighting string with 5 lights on it.  With the pigtail florescent (100 watt rated) lights, works quite well.  Comes in a unit ready to plug in.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

1938farmall

did some more checking and found a 4-tube fixture called T5-HO that is claimed to start at -20 degrees.
aka oldnorskie

hamish

Well your 0 is only -17 celcius here and I have and still do use them to temperatures of -40C/F (same at that temp).  It takes a few minutes for them to warm up, but still work, the light emmited is a bit less but still work, and you can easily read or thread a needle using them even when they are 10' above your head.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Woodchuck53

HO is the only way to go if you have any temps concern. The sign people use them in everything that has florescents. I built my fixtures using 4 8' T12 HO bulbs and am happy so for. Once I get the rest of the shop ceiling insulated then I want to do the white tin cover for the reflectivness (???) 8' bulbs are easy to come by for me. All the exterior lights are on motion detectors and 150w floods.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Woodwalker

I've got 2 circuits with 2 eight foot high output florescent on each in a 30' X 45'. Only need to burn one circuit at a time. They start in cold weather (for here anyway) and long life.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!