iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Road Trip!

Started by Okrafarmer, September 03, 2012, 01:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

He is probably smiling so big about now that the PCM has a new shape! ;D ;D ;D  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Okrafarmer

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Ok, everybody, I'm back again!  ;D

In spite of some looks we got along the way, the raggedy old Toyoahta and I got home only to realize that an LT-40 followed us all the way from Ruston, AL.

This mill was not owned (to the best of my knowledge) by a FF member. He had advertised it on Craig's List, and Piney Woods alerted me to it when he saw that I was drooling for one.

The mill is a 1990 model LT-40 Hydraulic. It has toe-boards, which currently don't work. It has had a few modifications done to it. That lube tank is open on the top. I guess the motis operandi is to dump the water into the top and not fill it quite all the way to the top. The engine is an Onan, and seems to be the original engine. It has just shy of 3,000 hours on it.

There are a few minor problems to fix before any serious use can be made of it. For one thing, the key doesn't want to go in the ignition for some reason. I hope we don't have to replace the ignition, as that would be another $20 plus shipping from WM, or maybe a little less locally.

Anyway, my boss did well to purchase this rig for $7500. Magicman and Fishfarmer, who both actually saw the mill, thought we'd done all right. Piney Woods wasn't able to go by and actually see it with me, or he would have given his opinion too, I'm sure. He did try, in the space of an hour or two, to teach me everything he had cumulatively learned about LT-40 maintenance and repair-- unfortunately my brain is a little short on RAM these days, and I wasn't able to process all the new info in the time allotted. . . .  :-\

Everybody was really great on the trip, I loved meeting you guys-- I saw 6 LT-40's in the space of 24 hours, and I actually never managed to see Fishfarmer's, or it might have been 7. The meals were great-- Magicman's magic breakfast allowed me to make it through to the lunches provided by Pineywoods (Wedsday) and Fishfarmer (Thurs) without feeling any hunger pangs until right before the mid-day victuals made their appearance. That genuine Louisiana small-town beef brisket barbecue was a real treat, and Fishfarmer really knows how to pick a great truck stop for lunch!  ;)

I also enjoyed meeting Leroy, and seeing his cypress operation a couple miles down the road from Piney Woods' house. Those long logs were really nifty, as was his setworks equipped LT-40 with bed extension!

As for Tamiam, I'm sorry for all the confusion as to my location when you were trying to pin me down with that peavey.  ;D

As for me resembling Hoss Cartwright, I'll own that one; at one time I had Hoss Cartwright as part of my email address.

Anyway, Mrs. Okra and the cubs are really happy to see me, and tomorrow, I plan to harvest my long-neglected namesake. I'll be giving / selling okra seeds this fall, so stay tuned....

If I can get the mill started tomorrow (ignition switch problem, remember) I may try it out on a log. I just got one blade with it, and it seems dull. I ordered a box of blades which should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

Anyway, thanks for the hospitality, the encouragement, the friendship, and for the participation in this fun thread! Pictures soon.

Okra
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Here is Piney Woods with his unique LT-40-- never another one like it in the whole world. He's unique himself, and one of the most helpful people I've ever met.  :)

Oh, my rig is so small, and the road is so long! May I park with you guys? I want to pretend like I'm a truck driver.

This was when Magicman and I were preparing the mill to depart from his house.

Fishfarmer enthusiastically approved of the purchase!

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Quote from: paul case on September 07, 2012, 11:31:24 PM
He is probably smiling so big about now that the PCM has a new shape! ;D ;D ;D  PC

Shaped more like an "M" than a hip roof.  :D

fishpharmer

Okra, you get around, you could be dodge material....
Quote from: WDH on September 07, 2012, 08:07:08 PM
I heard that he got stopped by the Law in Georgia.  The officer walked up, looked at him, and said, "You in a heap of trouble, boy."

Some of you old codgers may even remember where that came from  :D.

http://youtu.be/N1WICosbX8k

Glad you and the mill made it home safe.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Okrafarmer

:D :D :D
I reckon I'm not an old enough codger to have seen that when it was raw!

Okrafarmer

LT-40 stands for Long Trip, 40 hours of driving.  :-X

customsawyer

Glad you made it back.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nomad

Glad you had a good and safe trip.  And even more, congrats on the mill!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like the pic of of your rig beside the BIG RIG.

Now that's a TRUE....."SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT" for sure.

Yee Yee Yee Yee Yee Yee Yee......LIVE ACTION!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Joanie

For the key switch, you can get a universal one at any part store, thats what I did, works great.
Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

trapper

Quote from: Joanie on September 08, 2012, 06:46:58 AM
For the key switch, you can get a universal one at any part store, thats what I did, works great.
nappa for the switch on my lt30.  4pole like used in the old willis jeep the parts man told me
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Meadows Miller

Good to see you got home in one piece Mate  ;) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) with the switch I replaced some of Mine with button starts loaders ad the like you dont have to worry about someone leaving the bloody key on then its a great starting the day with a flat battery Mate   :) :) ::) ::) ;) :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Bill Gaiche

Good luck with your purchase. It was a long trip but I am sure that you will forget the mileage but not the people you met. Good luck getting her going. More photos later would be great. bg

Buck

Congrats Okra, the mill looks good. I wouldnt sweat those hours, both of the mills I have are pushing 5000 hours and going strong with Onan. I will admit that parts tend to be a little pricey and sometimes hard to find but I have had minimal issues.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

millstead

Oakra you can get an ignition switch from tractor supply I bought one for my lt30 I think it cost 15 dollars good luck

Peter Drouin

Hi oakra, tell your boss to buy his parts from WM and that way he will be supporting a great company,  they keep a record of all the parts that have been put on the mill. that way you will know what has been replace. good luck :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Okrafarmer

Ok, now that the trip is done, I will start a new thread about the sawmill now that it is home. You can still post on this thread if you want to say anything regarding the trip itself, but for contiguity I will begin a new chapter in this story.  ;D

Magicman

Okra, I bushhogged for a couple of days, that is until the rain stopped me.  Anyway, it is good to see that you made it back home safely to mamma bear and the cubs.

It was wonderful of you to allow me to host you for a couple of nights.  It seemed like you were always anxious to go somewhere, like go to bed, go to Louisiana, or go home.  Anyway, I do wish you the very best with the new purchase.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Ha! I wasn't that anxious to go to bed, I just didn't want to keep you up past your bedtime. I'm a night owl, as you can see from time to time from some of my posts, many of which are conducted well past midnight. I just try to be sensitive to people who get up early and not keep them up beyond what they are comfortable with.  ;)

Delawhere Jack

"contiguity"..............? Danny?......David? Need some help here...... it that some sort of corn based breakfast food?  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 08, 2012, 03:27:03 PM
"contiguity"..............? Danny?......David? Need some help here...... it that some sort of corn based breakfast food?  ;D

Oh Jack.....mmm......the answer to your question is SO simple, I'll let my Georgia Dog Danny answer this one.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Contiguity is actually a real word. The spell-check didn't put a squiggly red line under it. If you need a clue what it means, think of the related word contiguous, as in the 48 contiguous states.

WDH

There is continuity about contiguity.  If you are contiguous, lets hope that you stay that way  :).  Okra, you will have to practice some contiguity with the new mill.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on September 09, 2012, 12:02:08 AM
There is continuity about contiguity.  If you are contiguous, lets hope that you stay that way  :).  Okra, you will have to practice some contiguity with the new mill.

I am definitely planning to do so. I plan to maintain my body as contiguous, and the sawmill as contiguous, but the logs I plan to discontigulate.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!