iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

river log

Started by Klicker, June 19, 2014, 06:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klicker

I was doing a milling job for a repeat customer by a river bank where there was a nice log that  came down stream in the spring flood.  He saw me looking at it and said it was just a poplar  I said I don't think so. We looked at it is birdseye maple  so we dragged it up and  ran it through the mill. It was in the water a few years not much if any sap. So what is the best way to dry it. I know to sticker and stack it then I will put it in my solar kiln. Is there anything else to be careful and try not to crack it too much.  The boards are 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch and 18 - 24 inches wide. I feel like I struck the jackpot. I don't have any birdseye on my land.
2006 LT 40 HD

bandmiller2

Klicker, the river gods have smiled upon you.  I would just stack and stick as usual but paint the ends with whatever you have to slow the drying. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

How can you tell if it's Birdseye Maple before you even cut it?  :-\

Inquiring minds want to know!  :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Klicker

I will put anchor seal on it.
Chuck It had small bumps on it so I  sliced a  piece off with the chain saw and it could be seen.
2006 LT 40 HD

hackberry jake

I got a couple really nice walnut logs out of a tree that washed down the river. I wonder who the tree really belongs to once it starts floating down the river... Me if I find it I I guess!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

qbilder

Quote from: Chuck White on June 19, 2014, 09:34:06 PM
How can you tell if it's Birdseye Maple before you even cut it?  :-\

Inquiring minds want to know!  :P

If it had no bark, the eyes would be quite visible as tiny holes all over the log. They exist even when the bark is present, but aren't as easy to see. 
God bless our troops

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 19, 2014, 10:08:20 PM
I got a couple really nice walnut logs out of a tree that washed down the river. I wonder who the tree really belongs to once it starts floating down the river... Me if I find it I I guess!
I have milled several river trees that have washed up or have been caught and tied up, the land owner then contacted the "River Councel" and have gained permition to use them, no cost just a paper trail to show ownership.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

I have sawn many Mississippi River logs.  Folks lasso them, tow them to their river lot or somewhere convenient and tie them off.  When the river goes down, they cut them loose and stage them for sawing.  No legal hassle or anything.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ozarkgem

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on June 21, 2014, 01:38:18 PM
Quote from: hackberry jake on June 19, 2014, 10:08:20 PM
I have milled several river trees that have washed up or have been caught and tied up, the land owner then contacted the "River Councel" and have gained permition to use them, no cost just a paper trail to show ownership.
what is a river council?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: ozarkgem on June 23, 2014, 08:26:20 PM
what is a river council?
also refered to as water shed council their the ones that tell you if you can put in a boat ramp, bridge, water wheel ect
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ozarkgem

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on June 23, 2014, 10:06:31 PM
Quote from: ozarkgem on June 23, 2014, 08:26:20 PM
what is a river council?
also refered to as water shed council their the ones that tell you if you can put in a boat ramp, bridge, water wheel ect
so you have to have their "permission" to take a log out of the water?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

bandmiller2

I would bill the "river council" for removing a snag in the river. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

backwoods sawyer

The land owner only owns the land not the water or what is in/on it check your local laws/rules/regulations :P

In some cases they are placing logs back in the rivers for habitat reasons don't go fetching those logs.

Thank You Sponsors!