iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winch capacity

Started by sully, February 27, 2016, 10:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sully

Good morning,  I have a quick question about winch capacity.  I am running a new wallenstein 120 while pulling logs it just doesn't seem to pull the way I think it should not sure if there is an adjustment somewhere or I am over loading the winch.  I am pulling walnut logs 30 ft long and roughly 30 inches approx 8000 lbs.  I am using a tractor with around 140 hp.  This is the first winch I have owned so I am not sure on the actual performance and what it should be.  I think it should do more just for the fact that the same log I can grab one end with the grapple on my skid steer and drag it out.   Ay Ideas besides cutting the log smaller.  Thanks  Sully

DDW_OR

looked up your winch. Pulling Capacity 12,000lbs.
so pulling on a FLAT and LEVEL surface is no problem.
But the dirt and roots tend to grab the log. plus the front of the log will plow the ground.

What i do with my Farmi JL 501, Pulling Capacity 11,000lbs, is to move the tractor closer to the Large logs so the top pulley is lifting the front of the log. second is to add a second pulley to make a 2 line pull.
I have done a 2 and 3 line pull to move a Very large stump, 42 inch trunk.
BE VERY CAREFUL when doing a multi line pull.
2 lines = 24,000 pound pull
3 lines = 36,000 pound pull.
if the winch is used as the attachment place for the additional pulley then the pulling force could rip or damage the winch.
or the cable could brake and wip and cut.
2 line pull, pulley should be rated for a minimum of 26,000 pound
"let the machines do the work"

DDW_OR

I tow my ATV into the woods for quick trips back the the mill

"let the machines do the work"

Ed_K

I'm guessing the clutch is not adjusted quite right. BiL has that same winch and it'll pull the front end up 4' on a JD 4440.
Ed K

711ac

30'X30" walnut logs? are they Black Walnut? I'll be right over to help ;D
I'm with Ed_K, you deffinetly have enough tractor, must be a clutch adjustment.

sully

Thanks guys I figured it was an adjustment. I am pulling the logs with an IH 1456  so I know it has the hp and weight. Thanks again I appreciate your input. Sully

Thank You Sponsors!