iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy here needs saw advice

Started by winchester, August 09, 2016, 02:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike60

Quote from: winchester on August 11, 2016, 08:52:00 PM

Earlier today I had the opportunity to run an Echo CS-490 from a dealer about 25 miles from. Seemed like a great saw. It had an 18" bar, .325 chain. Priced at $349.99
I may just give this one a try since most of the logs will be 12 inches.

Is that the shop on a farm in Middleburgh on Route 30? That shop has been there for many years and they know Echo saws better than anyone.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

winchester

Quote from: Spike60 on August 12, 2016, 06:15:47 AM
Well, if your just up in Schoharie County take a ride down to Ulster County. I've got all of the Huskys and Jonnys in one place to look at. Pick them up and see how they feel in your own hands. And there's a Stihl dealer a short ways down the road if you want to check out his stuff.

The 50cc saws mentioned will do what you want as long as the log loads don't get bigger than what you mentioned. There's an old timer in Roxbury who runs a firewood business and cuts everything with a Jonsered 2253-16", (Jonsered 550). The loggers take care of him and give him primo logs in the 10-12 inch range.

But your logs will run a little bigger than that, and I think the 555/2258 might be a better fit for you as long as you don't object to a little increase in weight. What you definitely won't object to is the slight increase in price. The 555/2258 are only $25 more than the 550/2253. That's a lot more saw with more capability for just $25. Either of those with an 18" bar would be just the ticket on a 12"-15" log pile.

I was up in Schoharie just the other day, so it's not that far away. And it's all beautiful country for a ride.

I guess I need to take a ride down your way and take a look at what you suggest.

winchester

Quote from: Spike60 on August 12, 2016, 06:42:24 AM
Quote from: winchester on August 11, 2016, 08:52:00 PM

Earlier today I had the opportunity to run an Echo CS-490 from a dealer about 25 miles from. Seemed like a great saw. It had an 18" bar, .325 chain. Priced at $349.99
I may just give this one a try since most of the logs will be 12 inches.

Is that the shop on a farm in Middleburgh on Route 30? That shop has been there for many years and they know Echo saws better than anyone.

Yes, it's the same place. He mentioned he's been selling Echo's for 45 years ?

rburg

If Spike is close, a trip there would be well worth your time.

winchester

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on August 11, 2016, 08:56:54 PM
Drop the extra $50 and get the cs 590, you will be much happier.

I'll look into the 590. Thanks.

Walt

Find a dealer your comfortable with, pickup every saw you can and ask questions. If you don't find it move on. I would buy the biggest and best saw you can afford that feels right in "your" hands. When you find it in time it will become your friend.. I'm 62 and like a hefty saw unless I'm cutting limbs or felled cleanup. A 290 with a 18 inch bar feels great to me. My 461R with a 20 inch bar came from above, I love this saw.  With a 28 inch bar its a beast for felling. We buck about 20 cords a year and these are "my" buddies....My shoes may not fit or feel right on your feet. Regards Walt
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

celliott

Ditto on making a trip to Spike60's shop. I've only ordered parts from him, but have heard nothing but good about him and his dealership.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

CTYank

Do listen to what Spike60 says- if you want it straight-up.

IMHO, for bucking delivered log-length wood, first you want to research procedures & tactics for doing that without getting maimed/killed. It can be very dangerous.

Again IMHO, saw choices should include Dolmar PS-6100 and overall look like (IMHO), not in order:
Echo 590- great price ($400), decent performance, durable
Dolmar 6100- vg price ($550), excellent performance, pro-quality
Husqy 562- ($750 or less), excellent performance, top pro-quality (check discounts)
Stihl 362- pricy, over $800+, gotta get dealer-quote, excellent performance, pro-quality

Some say you should be dealer-dependent. Routine care will primarily involve chain filing- go DIY. Feed it fresh mix with best oil, keep chain SHARP, it'll live long & prosper. Learn from others inc. Spike.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

winchester

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I need to get more saws in my hand to see what feels right.

XP_Slinger

Many have said it but I'll say it again...If you have the opportunity go see Spike60.  VERY knowledgeable and won't feed you any BS to influence your purchase in his favor.  As evident by him saying "there's a Stihl dealer down the road if you wanna check out their stuff."  Have fun shoppin.
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

Thank You Sponsors!