iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Driveway gate

Started by Czech_Made, August 22, 2016, 07:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czech_Made

Anybody build one?  I am replacing fence in front of the house and plan to replace the gate too.  The opening will be about 14', two part gate, maybe parting it 1/3 and 2/3rds to have a little gate for pedestrians?

Ideas, experience?

robmelby

If your looking for a rustic looking gate, visit Roy Underhills woodwrights web sight . There you will find some past episodes of his show. One of the episodes he builds an English farm gate. Nice looking, strong and looks like fun to build. His is built out of oak, maybe switch to western red cedar to make it lighter. Just a thought.

Ljohnsaw

Yes - I made some 16' single swing metal gates at my old ranch.  Later converted one to two swings with Mighty Mule openers.  My scanner is down at the moment otherwise I would post a picture or two.

Are you wanting it to be wood or metal?  Manual or with an opener?  Do you already have stout posts/pillars to hold it up or planning on building/installing them as well?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Czech_Made

Thank you, guys, for replies.  Here are some pictures, I have a vision as far as the fence, the gate is still murky :)

I want to pour at least foot by foot pillars for the gate, the house is stucco, wife's plan is to paint the fence same color as the house.

I have some white oak I could use, metal frame gate could be more stable than wooden frame.  As I said, I am still thinking about it.

BTW remote gate opener would be great, I have to bring electrical power to the pillars anyway - you guessed it, the wife wants lights there  ;D

Carson-saws

Always a " honey do" list...but when you do as great a job as you do that list only gets longer.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Czech_Made

Quote from: Carson-saws on August 29, 2016, 05:57:19 PM
Always a " honey do" list...but when you do as great a job as you do that list only gets longer.

Ain't that the truth  ;D

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.

Czech_Made

Done with those pesky "knee" walls   :)

Hopefully some woodwork next.

thecfarm

A nice project. I would be watching your progress on the way by.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Den Socling

To answer your question Sixacre, the post are precast. It was in an earlier post.
All I have to say is that's a lot of fence! I would have been tempted to farm that job out.

Slingshot

I am planning to build a gate like one of these for my farm entrance...

Czech_Made

Thank You Sponsors!