iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old belt drive planer project

Started by Tripp, August 15, 2009, 09:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripp

Here are a few pics of two old planers in action. These were sent to me by TractormanNWV. He also sent a video but it is in a different format than I am used to working with.

I hope to get my planer up and running soon.

Tripp

mayor

Hey Tripp...
  Thats me at the helm on both counts in your pics. that Jim sent you.....the first pics. is of the Belsaw Edger that I rebuilt.....we was running some pretty rough looking cedar thru it at the show.....works great though!
  Last shot is of my 47 M turning the 24" National planer.......this combination is great for making quick work of rough sawn lumber.....plenty of power and speed and the planer dont even make much noise.....Everybody that watched it work was amazed that such an old machine could produce such quality lumber.

Ironwood

Tripp,

I have seen lots of ole Arn, that thing is BEAUTIFUL. Graceful and durable.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Tripp

I have been doing a little work setting up the planer.

here are a few pics.

I have ordered knife bolts from George Seltzer Co. After being heat treated to grade 5 they were $6.00 each. They should be here tomorrow.

The planer is now in a permanent location. I am trying to figure out pulley sizes and what to power it with. I am currently trying to buy an old international 4 cyl engine with clutch and flat belt drive. The engine used to drive a grain mill near my place and has not run in 30 or so years. It may or may not work out, but if it doesn't I will try to link up the sawmill engine.

Does anyone have an opinion on what the cutter head rpm should be on this machine? I have had two people tell me 3600 rpm. That seems scary fast.

The third pic is of an overhead line shaft that used to run an old metal lathe at a local plantation. I saw that the place was for sale and heard there was some belt drive equipment there at one time. The lathe was gone but I picked up the line shaft and some other equipment , wooden pulleys, steel pulleys, belts, axes, tools, etc.  Right next to the room that housed the lathe was a blacksmith shop. These places used to be totally independent. They made and grew everything the needed. I hope some young family buys the place and keeps it up.

Tripp

Ironwood

I think 3600rpms was what it likely ran at. It is all about knife cuts per inch, and hence quality. Run it as fast as you are comfortable with. You can always put a schrapnel shield around the head, and make the dust chute from the same (1/2 to 3/4 plate steel) . This would add a REAL level of comfort for you and anyone standing around (you know wife, children, grand children). I will do this on an Oliver 16" clamshell jointer head until I get a retro fit, this will be for the swingaway blade guard.

Additionally, you can micro bevel (back bevel) the very end of the knife to create less tearout. This actually keep the knife from cutting on the upstroke and actually begins to allow it to cut on the downstroke (almost rubbing off the wood fiber). This technique is common on two knife heads and/or slow rotation planers.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ironwood

Looking at your last pic, I would recommend "sistering" an additional 2x to that single bridging on the one side ;), it is likely alot of vibration may occur. Lag bolts and not nails may be in order. I noted your Sampson Strong tie on the blower framing.  Looks like FUN!

Ironwood

Tripp

Ironwwood,

Thanks for the info on the micro bevel and the dust chute. I was planning to make the chute with oak , but steel may be my best bet. It will take a bit more time but would make the machine much more safe. The thought of a knife coming loose gives me the willys.

The line shaft in the third pic is just hanging up in storage. I believe it is too light to incorporate into my planer set up. If I keep fooling around with this flat belt stuff it will be put to use some day.

Some three phase power would make this job a lot easier, but it is not available in my rural location. I can say that I do enjoy the challenge of working with old technology.

Tripp

Ironwood

You know wouldn't be sweet to put a new head in machine like that, best of both/ all, aesthetics, function, history, and oh yah MASS. Nice score on the line shaft stuff. I ee bits and pieces of stuff like that, BUT rarely whole assembies.

Ironwood

mayor

Tripp.....  2000 rpm reccomended.  Not too exceed 2600.
Now then.....I read this somewhere in my research here on the net for my planers.....but the dust has already covered my memory banks in my brain up as too where.
Remember....there are NO guards on these old planers so be very carefull  not too run "loose knots" thru them as they will fly out the outfeed like bullets...also, be vary carefull not too hit nails! I couldnt imagine a chunk of one of these blades coming at me!!!!!.
As dangerous looking as they are, once running you will be surprised how comfortable you will be with the tool.  They do a very nice job and little noise.  The weight keeps them from vibrating.  Keep the blades sharp!!.

Tripp

Mayor,

Thanks for the info. 2000 rpm sounds better to me. I have asked quite a few people, but they all run modern equipment. I would not want to run this head too fast for safety reasons and having a possible babitt meltdown.

Tripp

Tripp

This thread is quite a few months old, but I thought I would update on my progress. I got the planer belted up and running today. It performes beautifully. Tomorrow I hope to get some guards built around the belts. Then work on a hood and blower for chip removal on the planer and edger.

Hppefully some day I will find some side heads for this machine.

Tripp

Quebecnewf

This is an old thread but was just wondering if you ever had any luck finding the side cutter heads . I run a small three sided planer and I think it's the slickest machine I own .

Judging by the size of yours it would be real sweet as a three sided.

Any updates

Quebecnewf 

Thank You Sponsors!