iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maintaining the state park look

Started by livemusic, April 26, 2024, 10:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I'm not saying that folks should maintain their property one way or the other. Only that sometimes, people will do things on their property that is contradictory to what their goals actually are, because they don't know any better. 

I've worked on private timber sales where the timber was being removed to provide wildlife habitat- then the landowner wanted what was left to "look like a park". Well maybe that would be the way to go if you had open country species like bison and elk, but not for whitetails and ruffed grouse😊

Too many irons in the fire

Andries

Barbender, I have relatives in Europe that come to visit from time to time. You're exactly right in your comments about the reaction to North American forest lands. "Oh my! Not tidy. So much work to do!"
But if those Finns had seen a southern yellow pine plantation in Georgia, they might just feel right at home.
I remember being absolutely gob-smacked when I saw forests in northern Europe that had number tags on each and every tree. At family reunions we all got a real laugh about the extreme differences between the boreal forest in Canada and the manicured forests of Europe.
I guess it's all about the end goal and the right tool for the right job. Swamp donkey is swinging a clearing Saw for TSI work in the Maritimes. Cfarm is getting it picture perfect because it's close to his house. I am using my pole saw for clearing sight lines in the curves around reclaimed old logging roads. Live music might be thinking about parklands, trailers and camping.
 Everyone has their own toolbelt. 
The only system that sure as heck wouldn't work, up here anyway, are Southside's cows. There'd be an explosion in the bear and wolf population and not a cow to be seen anywhere. ffcheesy

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Where I cut out firewood and thin, it's sorta looks parkish for a year or two until I get new aspen sprouts. Then the moose move in and chew aspen suckers, the odd deer around, but we have like 3 or 4 deer around here you hardly see. I took a video awhile ago before I started an area, no undergrowth, not even a hazel or a currant bush.  Stuff coming now. About 10 years ago I remember talking with a moose hunter I never knew, not from here, and he said he saw 7 or 8 deer sitting where he was at. I said I've been here for over 50 years and I've never seen more than 3 or 4 together ever. Anything is possible, but I'm thinking BS to. Same deer 2 or 3 times.  ffcheesy ffcheesy Go up the Tobique River watershed in winter, any time they were cutting wood you could count 50 deer or more in one bunch, no trouble at all.  ffsmiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Quote from: Andries on April 27, 2024, 10:21:24 PMI have relatives in Europe that come to visit from time to time. You're exactly right in your comments about the reaction to North American forest lands. "Oh my! Not tidy. So much work to do!"
They would freak out seeing NZ natural forest then.  ffcheesy

This is the Rotokare nature reserve, it's a local fenced off area with no introduced pests, they have even cleared if of mice now. They do have a nice "park" area at the carpark, lawn and picnic tables etc, and they keep the walking tracks clear. But this is basically what the forest looks like with no browsing animals (goats / possums / deer etc) 

The perimeter fence. Farmland and cows on one side, native forest on the other. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

barbender

Andries, I have it on good authority that the Finns were disgusted by the condition of SYP forests in Georgia, too😂 Way too messy🤷

I think the mindset is more one of, for them it is a limited natural resource that they need to maximize, and they can't understand what seems to be a total hands off management approach. I would agree with them in that we don't hold our forests in high enough regard.

Ianab

I guess if you are "farming" trees, then you want it to look like a "farm"? Tidy rows, no weeds etc. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Machinebuilder

When I bought my 26 acres it had been used as cattle pasture for many years.
I tried renting it for horses for a short time.
I have not had any animals on it for about 15 years. the wooded areas the understory has grown tremendously.
I see more wildlife now than  I have at any time before. I have several trailcam pics with 4 deer. I see red fox ocasionally.
The dogs stay busy chasing all the small animals.

What I want to do is work at reducing the invasive plants, Bradford pear, autumn olive, honeysuckle, different vines that climb and kill trees (I will leave the wild grapes).
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

B.C.C. Lapp

Well, my son works on the maintenance crew for one of the largest state parks in Pa.  I asked him what the term "park like" meant to him.    He shrugged and said "Well to me that would  probably mean underfunded and understaffed."   

I'm pretty sure that aint what the OP was looking for. ffcheesy
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: barbender on April 27, 2024, 01:05:38 PMAndries, relating the proper size of Ash pole to a hockey stick is very Canadian of you😂

LOL LOL! I was thinking the same thing. Leave it to a Canuk to reference something via the size of a hockey-stick!  ffcool   :thumbsup:
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

thecfarm

Them Finns must have plenty of time. Or plenty of kids.  ffcheesy
As I said, that picture takes A LOT of time.
But it's a labor of love.
My father started that more then 50 years ago.
He cut everything that was smaller than 4 inches and made brush piles. I helped him for many years picking up branches to keep it looking good. This was before the tractor with the loader. Now I go in and put branches into the loader and keep it clean that way. Takes many trips to clean it up.
I started with a weed wacker to keep the small stuff down. I found out a lawn mower works the best.
This is really a good piece of land, as far as  rayrock goes.
This was a field many years ago. I hauled off the so called stone wall.
I can only see 2  rayrock in that picture!!! Not many places on my land I can take a picture like that.  :wacky:
I only keep maybe a 1/2 acre like that. I have a 500 foot driveway and that is on the right side coming up. The Finns would like that. Just don't go outback and see how the rest of the woods look. You will also find all my junk too.  ffcheesy
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

The sense I get is that the Finns regard their forests as almost sacred. Not in the sense of worshipping them, but a precious resource and one of the few that they have.

My buddy that spent a lot of time with Finns (he worked worked with 3 of them down in Georgia) is going on a trip to Finland to visit one of them in a few weeks. He'll have a lot more insights into Finnish foresty and culture in general when he gets back, no doubt.

SwampDonkey

Takes 6-10 years for a place to look clean after I cut it out with a clearing saw to space it. Then the undergrowth is gone to, almost like a plantation in a field. Branches on leave trees begin to die off but takes probably 10 more years for that in fir and spruce ground. Hardwoods prune up quicker naturally. The acre of y. birch behind the house is like a park, planted in 2001 from plugs. No undergrowth, just wild flowers in the spring. Trout lily right now.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

NewYankeeSawmill

I've seen a bunch of folks locally hire one of those Forestry/Grinder/Mulcher heads on a skid-steer? Chews the snot out of anything 4" or smaller all the way to the ground, leaves nothing but big tree's and a layer of mulch behind. Beautiful when they're done... I'm tempted to hire a guy for a day, but $$$!!!
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

livemusic

This has been a learning experience over several years. About eight years. Still learning, lol. I am not seeking park-like like a state park or clean as can be. But a bit of that look appeals to me around trails. I have had to ponder this a LOT to even figure out what I want. Over these first months of 2024, I have spent as much time on my land than I ever have. Several times a week, I do some work there, and sometimes twice a day.

It took me a few years to build the trails I have. Very nice hiking/ATV trails. My tract is hardwood and that's not common here. The vast majority of land here is now planted pine. I don't care for plantation forestry and certainly don't like the look. Especially if they planted it in rows with mathematical precision. Yuck. I like forests, not plantations. These pine stands seem sterile to me. Not good for wildlife. No variety. Just pine trees. I understand profit coming into people's mindset, I'm a businessman, but this is not my motivation for my tract.

I am still not there yet (thinking-wise) but I am closer. The hard thing is coming to terms with what I want. Because I'll be dead sooner than I care to think (age 70) and then what? Or what if a forest fire comes through? I could work myself to a frazzle for the rest of my life and it could all go up in smoke. But you can't really plan for that. But... it's a reason for not letting it dominate you.

I do come back to this thought often... I do enjoy being there and working. I guess it's a hobby. It's certainly physical. I haul some firewood out quite often. Right now, taking sassafras, as 100% of all of them have died. I do have some saplings coming back, hope for their survival. I like sassafras firewood, super easy to split, very light, very attractive wood, nice flame. Polar opposite from oak.

I have big trees, them being, say, 60-100 years old. It was cut for pine probably 30-40 years ago; thank goodness my cousin cut only the pines. I still have plenty left for the diversity they bring. The species are oak, hickory, sweetgum, black gum, red maple, pine, cedar, dogwood, ironwood. With a few other low-numbered species.

Right now, I am still moving forward to three things... 'cleaning' up the corridor right around the trails of saplings and vines so it has a bit of a spacious look... thinning some undesirables... and crop tree release. A crop tree being a tree I hope to help survive and thrive. White oaks, for sure, and dogwoods, for sure. My tract is gorgeous in March with all the dogwoods blooming. Thinning being taking ugly trees with no value to me, and trees growing too close. For instance, if I have two or three white oaks all right together, seems that two should go. Or a sweetgum right next to a white oak. And... traditional crop tree release. My thinking is that just doing the above will open up everything quite a bit.

Parts of my tract are so thick, it's impossible to go through it. Walking or even with a tractor. You'd need a mulcher to go through. At this time, I am thinking I will leave some of that for wildlife. There are vines all over, and I sever those regularly. I know they have some wildlife benefit but they bug me, choking the trees. 

A couple of parts of my tract are naturally open with big trees and it's so nice there, it made me want more of it! I am not sure why it's like that, I suppose it's just a tighter canopy and more big trees. Anyway, I'm going to keep at it until I change my mind, lol. However, summer is close, and I can't really do anything during warm months, it requires cool temps. Generally, below 70 degrees.

I have a forester coming soon to look it over and give me advice. Still formulating the gameplan.
~~~
Bill

Machinebuilder

This is the view from my barn, I cleared the brush and trees from the HUGE white oak to the Tulip poplar to let the afternoon sun hit my sunflowers.
Most times in the fall I plant a food plot mix or maybe some turnips.

to the left is what it looked like before. There are a lot of invasive plants that i want to work at removing.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

YellowHammer

Around here, the "state park look" I guess could be defined as what allows the workers to drive a pickup truck around and not scratch the paint or bust the cabs out of their tractors.  Most of the understory is removed with articulated mowers or skid steer mulchers like mine.   

There is always the problem of cleaning things too much, losing all the undergrowth "rabbitat" and "tuurkeytat."  I had that problem when I bought this farm, very little wildlife, I called in a Forester, he told me to leave more stuff not mowed, and within a few years, critters started coming back. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

Most of us get here, don't we? Right?
Thinking beyond ourselves and beyond the short span of years that we have here.
Spend enough time on land in one place, and commit ourselves to bringing the best possible management to it.
LiveMusic said it well: 
" . . I am still not there yet (thinking-wise) but I am closer. The hard thing is coming to terms with what I want. Because I'll be dead sooner than I care to think (age 70) and then what? Or what if a forest fire comes through? I could work myself to a frazzle for the rest of my life and it could all go up in smoke. But you can't really plan for that. But... it's a reason for not letting it dominate you. I do come back to this thought often... I do enjoy being there and working. . . . "

Flash over to me cooling my heels at the natural resources office in Kenora, ON, waiting for my biologist buddy Barry to finish up some tedious marathon meeting. I wander down the hall to see a wildfire tech hunched over forestry maps. 
Asked: Hey, Jimmy how's it going? 
Answer: Man! I thought I was mapping out forest fire hazards and it turns out I'm mapping out soil types! 
He'd discovered that he could overlay a soils map with a watershed map, and his his fire hazard areas were plain as day. The forest types were largely determined by those two main truths.
And similarly, what we'd like our forestry lands to be is determined mostly by their environment. 

I really like reading this thread that LiveMusic started, because it shows just how diverse we on are on this Forum. Diverse in our experience, and outlook, and degree of being the decision makers as stewards of our lands. We help each other come to terms with what we want. 
In this philosophical frame of mind I'm in tonight, it seems that is one of the major ties that bind us, here on Jeff's Forum. Whether it's a guy in Vermont helping a guy in California with timber framing calculations, or a lumber business model that someone in Australia is commenting on, we're helping each other out.

Hanging on my fridge, as a daily reminder, the old Greek proverb: "A society grows strong when old men plant oak trees that they know they will never enjoy the shade of." 

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ianab

One point I'd make is that people have different aims in their forest management. 

It might be financial, or conservation, or aesthetics, or hunting etc.  None of those aims are "wrong", and you might be balancing different aims, or applying them to different land areas. I can 100% see why you might like the tidy "park" look around your house. It will take some work to maintain, because it will be trying to revert to forest of some sort. 

The pics I posted above are the 100% conservation style. Kill pests and invasive weeds, and leave the forest to do what it will. Awesome place for the native wildlife.  But 100% commercial is plantation, and growing trees as a crop like corn. Not "wrong", any more than growing corn is "wrong", but it doesn't exactly fit with the other objectives. Or mix it up as you see fit. others have commented about how leaving undergrowth encourages wildlife, and of course natural regenerating of your forest. When a tree dies or falls in a forest there are 20 saplings under it racing to take it's place. When a tree dies in a park, you have to plant a new one. 

Thank You Sponsors!