iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What can I use to remove burned on ash gum from blades.

Started by 21incher, October 09, 2015, 06:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

Be careful using diesel in anything that's galvanized that you care about.  Diesel will rust galvanized metal in pretty short order.  Some boat owners found this out the hard way when they repowered to diesel engines and put diesel in the original galvanized gasoline tank and had big problems.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Thats just got to be wrong....
First thing galvanized dose not rust.... Maybe the metal under it would if it could get water and air.
Next thing diesel is an anti oxidizer. That stops things from rusting....

Go to Amazon and type in the search for

Justrite 7125200 Type I Galvanized Steel Diesel Fuel Safety Can, 2.5 Gallon Capacity, Yellow

galvanized metal can made for diesel .

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

BCsaw

He is right. Do a google search. Diesel can dissolve the zinc coating.

Murder on fuel systems!
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Kbeitz

Quote from: BCsaw on October 11, 2015, 11:41:22 PM
He is right. Do a google search. Diesel can dissolve the zinc coating.

Murder on fuel systems!

That I could beleve...dissolve yes... Rust no...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kelLOGg

Funny what you learn on the FF. Never thought it would lead me back to my chemistry (retired) career. The zinc/diesel discussion piqued my interest because the hydrocarbon mix in diesel should have no reaction with zinc. And they don't - its the sulfur impurities in the diesel that does the damage to zinc. So, Ox and BC are right. My internet search led to multiple sources that warned against using galvanized tanks for diesel. This forum rocks!
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

I totally agree Bob.  We learn stuff that we did not know that we needed to know.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

Some day try putting a zinc coated bolt in some diesel.  It will rust!  It may not make sense, but there it is.  ??? :)

Addition:  I've never set a zinc coated bolt in a jar of diesel and let it sit submerged.  I used a few bolts in my fuel jugs to plug the vent hole I drilled in them.  I know when diesel gets on them and then are exposed to air it's bad.  Rust.  Zinc plated bolts are the regular "silver" colored bolts you can buy at any hardware store.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

BCsaw

My guess would be, Ox is referring to the dissolving of the zinc coating, then if moisture is present.....rust will take hold. I have seen many steel diesel tanks that never had the water purged from the tank. Water is heavier than diesel and rust will form in the bottom where the diesel never reaches.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

kelLOGg

I should have added that my tubs of diesel for cleaning bands have not shown any signs of deterioration after ~2 years. Forewarned, I will keep an eye on them.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kbeitz

I still think rust is the wrong word.

Rust is an iron oxide, usually red oxide formed by the redox reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture.

I dont think zinc has any iron in it...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

deadfall

I think the issue is that the diesel gets through and under the zinc and to the iron.  I have been informed that one should not use any galvanized fittings in hydraulic systems, probably for similar issues.  When I lived on that diesel submarine, it became pretty clear that diesel will get past the treads of many fittings and coat surfaces like it's alive.  There were fuel lines in most all of the compartments and diesel film was everywhere.  That's why we bubbleheads always smelled so good.  Diesel must be magic molecules.  They are escape artists.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on October 12, 2015, 08:57:30 AM
I totally agree Bob.  We learn stuff that we did not know that we needed to know.   ;D

And, sometimes we learn things without even realizing it, then one day the light comes on!   smiley_lit_bulb   smiley_lit_bulb   smiley_lit_bulb    ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Seems like I learn something new every day on the Forestry Forum. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kingmt

You might try hydrochloric acid. That stuff ls pretty safe of most surfaces as long is you coat it well to allow a slow oxidation.

As far as kerosene smell. For the kerosene I know will be getting thrown on me from my machines I put lime stone powder in the bottom. It will get a sweet smell to it.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

dustyhat

Im going to try it (  Woodmill1  ) next time im going to town for something im going to pick some up. always up for something new. been using Rustslick 50 50 for my grinder . got to noticing it melts the pitch almost instantly. but its to expensive to make a tub up just to soak blades in.

21incher

Well I tried the Simple Green purple and it worked pretty good. There was a little residue left that I had to wipe it down quickly with scotchbrite to get most of the gum off. That stuff had no odor so everyone is happy. Here is a video link of the process. https://youtu.be/nSEJdGAd4nc I have another blade soaking and will leave it for the full 24 hours this time to see if I can eliminate the tiny bit of residue that was left. Thanks for all the suggestions. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kingmt

I cut some pine the other day & gasoline worked well to clean the blade up when I was done. Of course it does have a small tho.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

gfadvm

Quote from: 21incher on October 18, 2015, 12:44:55 PM
Well I tried the Simple Green purple and it worked pretty good. There was a little residue left that I had to wipe it down quickly with scotchbrite to get most of the gum off. That stuff had no odor so everyone is happy. Here is a video link of the process. https://youtu.be/nSEJdGAd4nc I have another blade soaking and will leave it for the full 24 hours this time to see if I can eliminate the tiny bit of residue that was left. Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

Glad it worked for you. I got one of those brass high pressure tips on my garden hose that works well to rinse blades after soak. It has enough pressure that I can forego the Scotch Brite/brush.

21incher

gfafvm I will try the water rinse on the blade that I currently have soaking. I am also thinking about starting to add some of the simple green to my lube tank.

Solomon

Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!