iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not a smart move

Started by sawguy21, September 21, 2023, 08:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

Today I had a senior moment, ran the diesel pickup out of fuel on the highway. I knew better, the gauge doesn't work properly so I use the odometer and try to keep it at least half full. No emergency road service in town so called a friend hoping she was home, she came out with 5 gal of fuel which I tried to pour in but the spout was cracked so it ended up on the road. Back to town, got another spout and got the fuel in the tank. Crossed my fingers, hit the key and it started and kept running! 8) Never had that happen before. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

We had a saying in EMS: God protects fools, drunks, and children.
 You weren't any of those so I am scratching my head trying to figure out how that happened. :D :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

SG21.

Glad it worked out in the end and you were able to get the truck started. Diesel  does not to start back as easy as gas from my experience.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

maple flats

I suspect the truck has an electric fuel pump. I've had that a time or two on tractors or excavators with an electric fuel pump. I also ran out of fuel on my 1981 Ford diesel tractor. That then needs to be bled  from fuel tank to filter, then to fuel pump, then to each cylinder before it will run. Over the 42 yrs I've had it, that only happened 2x, in about the first 2-3 years. After that I was far more careful and tried to fill it back up every time it was down to about half.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

barbender

I recall you have a Dodge Cummins SG, but I don't remember what year it is? The mechanical 12 valve Cummins would've almost certainly need to be bled to restart. The newer common rail diesels will self prime and start. I like to run every diesel I'm around out of fuel so I know how they are to get restarted (haha that's my story). If they had a competition for bleeding and restarting a Mercedes 906 diesel in a Ponsse forwarder I'm fairly certain I could take all comers😂 Tip- those ones need some help, they won't fire back up on their own.
Too many irons in the fire

nativewolf

Quote from: barbender on September 22, 2023, 08:54:32 PM
I recall you have a Dodge Cummins SG, but I don't remember what year it is? The mechanical 12 valve Cummins would've almost certainly need to be bled to restart. The newer common rail diesels will self prime and start. I like to run every diesel I'm around out of fuel so I know how they are to get restarted (haha that's my story). If they had a competition for bleeding and restarting a Mercedes 906 diesel in a Ponsse forwarder I'm fairly certain I could take all comers😂 Tip- those ones need some help, they won't fire back up on their own.
how right you are on the 906..how right you are
Liking Walnut

barbender

The 906 has a mechanical lift pump and unit injectors, well at least the pre-tier 4 ones. I've never got one to restart without cracking at least 2 injector lines open, and usually 3 or 4. At least they have the handy remote starter button down on the side of the block. Don't spray yourself with fuel😁 

The fuel sending unit on my Case skid steer went wonky on me last winter, but I didn't know it yet. So I ran that out of fuel. I actually had a heck of a time with the little 3.9 Cummins, it really did not want to re-prime. 
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!