iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

So I guess you've closed up.....right Peter?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Resonator

Looks like a Christmas card. All the yard needs is a Christmas tree. (Preferably a White Pine, free of shake, rot, sweep, no knots bigger than 3", and high scale on BF.)    :)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Andries

Peter's thought of that.
The Very Valuable White Pine is high and centered right over the Cat.
His ladder might be long enuff to get some lights up there.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

Nice job Kbeitz. 8) 8)

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 10, 2017, 12:34:05 PM
So I guess you've closed up.....right Peter?  ;D

Ya, I have a curly Mapel log to cut for a customer then Fill an order of 50- 2x10x16 for one customer and 40 of the same for another.[Hemlock] Then go back and cut some inventory. 8' 2x4,2x6,2x8,2x10,4x4,4x6,6x6, all Hemlock, Then start on some 16' Pine inventory. Tuesday I can start some 10' inventory 2x4,2x6,2x8,2x10,4x4, Fill an order for some 4x6 and 6x6x10' then cut 4x6 and 6x6 for inventory.
Then
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scleigh

Peter, what you gonna do after lunch? :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: scleigh on December 10, 2017, 10:21:20 PM
Peter, what you gonna do after lunch? :D

:D :D It will take two days to do all that, I have to chip all the slabs and that takes some time. And customers will stop in then I have to stop cutting and help them.
And that, my friends is a problem. [stop cutting to help customers].
I have to sell lumber, But don't have enough sales to pay a full time sawyer to replace me cutting.
It's like at different times of the year are busier than other times. In the slow time My setup works good. Then there are times I can use 4 guys helping me.
I do have my grandson Jake, And he likes working at the sawmill.[ Good thing]  :D :D
That's why I'm putting up a 30'x40' shed to fill with lumber to try to stay ahead with lumber.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

SlowJoeCrow

Good to hear you have an interested grandson, that's great.  Teach him well and give him jobs that will make him not lose his interest...and don't let him see "Bad Peter"!!

Peter Drouin

Having fun now,  ::)

The snow doesn't bother him either. SlowJoeCrow.
I dose me, I have to plow it in the morning, Have snow cfarm?  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Snow just stopped over here about an hr ago.  My phone says 70% chance it's gonna pick back up again at 21:00 and then simmer back down.  Roads were a mess it came down pretty good for awhile there.  I didn't measure but I would say we got all of 8".  I'm glad I stayed at the mill til 9:15 last night cleaning up anything that was gonna be in the way of plowing, filling in potholes and leveling up some earth that needed leveling before winter froze it.  Oh yea and I got the sawmill inside for the winter.  Just in the nick of time lol  Peter I needa build me some lumber storage sheds.  It's not conducive to working to have snow piled up on top of piles of lumber.  Plus would be nice to be able to pull something in and work on it. 
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

Peter,I might have 6 inches on the ground. Just keeps me from working the land,all this white frozen stuff. I play around in the woods some,seem like it takes twice as long,but it gets me out of the house.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

4x4 why is your 70 up in the air?

Cfarm, Out of the house is good, I have to plow in the morning, Then have a full truck load of slabs to chip.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Farm29

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 12, 2017, 10:17:59 PM

I was wondering the same thing I always like to put atleast 1-1/2 under the tires it seems to help get the jacks under the deck but I'm new so I'm all for any new tricks
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

4x4American

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 12, 2017, 10:17:59 PM

Cfarm, Out of the house is good, I have to plow in the morning, Then have a full truck load of slabs to chip.

I think the real question is why the heck do they have it so low to the ground? :D

I put the mill up in the air to make it easier to clean out from underneath it, makes it closer to my eye level, gives more room for the moving components to move around when chunks of wood and bark and all sorts of crud falls down when milling, etc.  I've been doing that since 2014

Oh and it's also how I level it.  If the mill needs to come up say 1-1/2 on one side I'll put an 1-1/2" of more shims on the side that needs to come up..that's how I level the mill cause I don't like to jack it up with the jacks cause I feel that it's better supported if the wheels have weight on them but you can't quite do that if you need to raise it on one side by quite a bit...so in short for leveling, cleaning, and sighting.
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Better than working on your knees.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

paul case

Yeah you can dig a hole to stand in but it is a real pita when it is full of water.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

I was out plowing snow today and saw a deer ear move. :o
Now they are less than 100 yards away from the mill.

So not to spook them, I took my pix when I was going by plowing. They were there all day.
Just before I came in I saw another one just behind the green house.
It 18° with a little wind, Where they are is a good place out of the wind,
Cool, huh,  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

I only have seen a few tracks behind the house. I went down into the woods and saw no tracks. They are after the acorns by the house. I guess they taste better by the house than in the woods.  :D
I see more deer on my tractor than walking.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on December 13, 2017, 05:32:50 PM

A Deer driving a tractor????  :D :D :D
Get out of town! ( old saying )

69bronco

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 13, 2017, 05:38:24 PM

A Deer driving a tractor????  :D :D :D
Get out of town! ( old saying )
Must be a John Deer :D

thecfarm

DanG,gotta quote myself so these grits eater will get it right.
I said on my tractor. Did not say the deer was driving my tractor,but the deer are on the tractor.  :D  The deer around here can't drive a standard.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Oh  dear!

Sorry Ray, when I first read your "Deer on the Tractor" I thought
it was another Christmas Contest hint.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

thecfarm

That will be next year.    :D  :D

WDH

I looked and we don't have a member with username "Deer on the Tractor".  At least, not yet  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

The view from thecfarm's porch.   :rifle:

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!