iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I heard that Deer LOVE Hastas

Started by Jeff, December 09, 2023, 09:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

So I was reading somewhere about plants not to plant if you have deer around or they will eat them. Hasta was on the top of the list, as deer will even seek them out.

I'd been thinking about this, and thought about a friend of mine that works in the nursey industry, and at the end of the season, unsold stock many times is just composted, and the pots recycled.

I thought, I have a lot of shady edges on
Trails, and edges and around the pond. They say they almost always just grow back if eaten, so it might be a cool experiment.

So, I sent him a message apparently with perfect timing.
"Do you guys ever have any hastas at the end of the year?"
"Yup. How many you want?"

Be careful what you wish for. You guys have any idea how I might efficiently plant 800 hasta plants?
HOLY HASTAS!!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

GAB

I would recommend a skid steer with a hydraulic motor driven auger to to the digging provided the topography is skid steer friendly.
The rest would probably be emanual labor.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

Jeff, I can absolutely confirm from personal experience that deer love hostas more than anything else in the entire plant kingdom. They wiped out a all of them I had planted. Some grew back for a while but after a while the deer got so efficient at mowing them to ground level that they are all gone. Maybe 800 will be more than they can keep up with and you'll make out ok.  Your plan sure would look nice.  Worth a try. Good luck!
HM126

doc henderson

they may have to call in back up which would not be all bad.  new food plot! 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

They like lily as well. I don't think they eat iris though. Down at Grafton at my parent's house, there was a lot of deer and mother's lilies got devoured.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

Woodchucks also like Hostas. And when they are in blossum, they will attract hummingbirds. Get going and create your salad bar, Jeff; and we want to hear how it works out. A good flower to plant that deer won't bother are daffodils or irises. They hit tulips when they send up shoots in the spring.

Crusarius

If its a food plot then you should plant them in clusters that can be fenced off so you can rotate feed areas. That will allow the mowed ones to recover when you rotate the fencing.

my deer like the tulips much more than the hastas.

SawyerTed

They are bulbs right?   Dormant right now. 

I believe a dibble would be the tool of choice for 800. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

It will be in the spring I plant them. Do you think rows or patches?

doc henderson

doc henderson

either.  it depends on where you want to plant them.  If they have a plant info tag, see how big whatever variety will get. 

Southside

You pull into the willy wags of Michigan with 800 pots like that and you may get to see another helicopter event one morning.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

My vote is rows.
But saying that I planted 3 rows in an 8X16 patch and it's all hostas now.
But that was before the deer started to eat them down each year.
So rows once every couple feet and if the deer do not kill them, it will fill in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

Nice score! Another tool would be a garden auger for the cordless drill. There are various ones. Forget deer management! It's going to be a deer party at your place 😂

thecfarm

I took an old screw auger wood bit and cut the end off that went into the drill.
The wife likes to put those wrought iron hangers for plants, they stand about 6 feet tall and have 2 points that go in the ground.
My ground is rocky and hard to get both points into the ground. Now I just put that bit into a cordless drill and problem solved. May take 2-3-4 tries but I get it done. This is only about an inch bit.
The few plant augers I've seen are big. But I suppose they make small ones too.
Could you plant carrots?
I left some carrots in the ground one year and the deer ate them.
Deer are about 20 feet behind the house digging through about 4 inches of snow for red oak acorns. The only reason they are not closer is the limbs are about 20 fet from the house.  ;)

21incher

I bet you can divide each pot into 2 plants and have 1600 to plant  ;D.  Time for a bring your  own shovel planting party  8)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Nebraska

Pig roast at the cabin project??   :) :) :)
I'd plant them in rows strategically arranged to funnel deer by one of your blinds.

Magicman

They will prolly come in at night and mow them down, like they did PatD's here in our backyard.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I'm planning on planting them in wooded areas

KEC

A few years back, I bought White Cedar seedlings and planted them on a property where I hunt with the owners' blessing, Maybe 50 trees. They survived the summer but the deer destroyed them when winter came. I bought more seedlings and planted them in 5 gallon buckets thinking to let them get some size before putting them out. Put the buckets on the edge of my yard near the garage. Yup, they came into the yard and ate them out of the buckets. I do wish you luck, Jeff.

thecfarm

I had a MIL that wanted some cedar broughs. I thought that would be easy.
I could not find any small cedar trees or low hanging branches. I had to get a step ladder to get some!!!!

SwampDonkey

Anywhere with cedar that the deer winter, you'll have some reaching. On my woodlot I have not had any winter yet. I have lots of low green branches in my cedar stand. Hairs tend to trim up small trees a little, but not as bad as deer. They can actually chew like a pruner, where as deer rip. Not as hard on them. They can sure do a number on spruce seedlings though, especially if you have red spruce. But any spruce will suit them.

These are smaller than the ones in behind, where they are fence post sized. I've not thinned this yet. If you don't wait for them low limbs to die off, all them green branches that aren't cut will shoot up a new tree and it will be 10 x as thick. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!