iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Branch saw logs?

Started by TBrown99, April 15, 2024, 05:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBrown99

When is it desirable to use large branches as sawmill logs?

I had a large black cherry come down in the woodland this Winter and there are a few shorter yet clear branch sections...

(Seems that short pieces from branches can be marketed... Is tension still going to be an issue there?)

Do the likely issues (excess stress in the wood grain) out weight benefits?

beenthere

Never, if it is boards you want.

Bowl turning stock should be okay.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Agree. Never. Branches are not logs.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

I go through a lot of 4' 6x6's, 3x3's and 4x4's. Dunnage and cribbing. That is what I use those chunks for. They end up left, rotting or in the fire but some branches get that "best and highest use" on the way.

Old Greenhorn

Dunnage, yeah, but keep 'em short and keep you expectations low.
The other use that popped into my head was something I learned from Brad BB here, using the for curved braces, as I recall he cut a lot of them. But again, keep your expectations low. For lumber I can't see any way that will end well. ffcheesy
 OH yeah, and they doo make good mushroom logs if they are not curved too much and of the proper sepcies, but that nit milling, it's bucking. :wink_2:
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

Writing pen blanks, carving blanks, turning blanks and very short boards for small boxes and the like can be cut from branch wood.  But expect lots of secondary processing to get anything usable.

Expecting more than relatively short pieces to dry in usable condition is a waste of time.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

Limbs ain't logs. They spend their entire life doing their job which is supporting an unbalanced load.  Energy/tension is stored within limbs that is released when they are sawed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jpassardi

I'm with Don: short dunnage or firewood.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Larry

Highest value for cherry, walnut, and maple limbs will be turning stock, maybe.

I sawed a bunch of cherry limbs into bowl turning blanks for a beginners bowl turning class at a craft school that I helped teach. The little left overs are cut again into blanks for Christmas ornaments and the last bits become kindling. Sometimes it gets cut for treenware.

If I have big limbs and a few of them I begin on the sawmill by making two cuts to remove the pith. Nest step is to crosscut with a chainsaw. A good turner may be able to get three or more bowls out of a blank by using a method called coring.

In my first sentence I said maybe. Recreational wood turners are notoriously cheap. A professional bowl turner knows the value and will buy, but not many of them around.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Machinebuilder

I have lots of branch wood I've cut up and saved, mostly cherry, hickory, apple, pecan.

I get them into fist size chunks and use them for smoking
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Joe Hillmann

Curved benches.

I have put a few on the mill so they curved sideways off the mill and cut them in half with the mill.  I usually do half the cut, stop, reposition the log and then finish the cut.  I then use the half logs as benches.  One was very curved and made a half circle and needed to be re positioned on the mill 3 times.

I always thought a person could make money with a small, manual mill by making curved half log or curved slab benches if they had the right connections with loggers or tree trimmers to get lots of curved branches in the 10 -20 inch diameter range. 

Magicman

Or you could make crooked benches:
IMG_2033.JPG
IMG_2045.JPG
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TBrown99

Hold the horses folks!

And what about fireplace mantels?

(Thanks for mentioning curved benches.)

Magicman

Did I hear someone mention curved benches??

DSCN0363.JPG

fluidpowerpro

Those are neat. I think I'll make one for by my fire pit.
How did you do the curved back?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Magicman

It is much easier when someone else does it.  I was only the admirer.  ffcheesy

Thank You Sponsors!