iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: kilgrosh on November 04, 2013, 09:08:07 AM
Second note to self: check gas tank before starting to saw!  :D :D ;)

I think I need to put that on a sticky note and onto the sawmill dashboard. I was just finished cutting the wedding box project on Saturday and the mill ran out of gas, again.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

mesquite buckeye

Pretty nice looking stuff. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on November 04, 2013, 10:49:45 AM
and the mill ran out of gas, again.   
Glad that you don't have a Diesel.   ;D  :D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rmack

Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2013, 09:17:57 PM
and the mill ran out of gas, again.   
Glad that you don't have a Diesel.   ;D  :D

I have run mine out of fuel a few times, just fill it up, squeeze the priming bulb a few times and she fires right up. surprising for a diesel but the same holds true for my tractor only it doesn't even need priming... I just turn it over and it fires... electric pump I think. both are 3 cylinder engines.  :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Magicman

The first time that I cranked my new replacement engine, I primed as per the instructions and it fired right up.  The old engine....no so.  It was just bad, and yes I did run it out of fuel....twice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: kilgrosh on November 04, 2013, 09:08:07 AM
Second note to self: check gas tank before starting to saw!  :D :D ;)

I think I need to put that on a sticky note and onto the sawmill dashboard. I was just finished cutting the wedding box project on Saturday and the mill ran out of gas, again.

Jim Rogers

Not a bad idea. I could put that one next to my note that says, "Did you lower the toe-boards,  ya' BONEHEAD?"

Peter Drouin

Did you ever have an order to fill and be short some logs. ?
I did today so I went up to see one of my logger friends. I went to the landing an made 2 trips  :D

This friend is well organized on the landing the bobcat works well and loads me.

after that I was talking to a logger, and I made a deal to buy 200A of hemlock. he called it the black forest. thats how thick it is , not all hemlock it has w pine and hard wood too, It just has not been cut in a very long long time like 150+ years.I can't wate to see the logs. and the best part it's 1 mile away .
I will get some picks 1# load next week.  8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I had a place like that. The tree,mostly hemlock was kinda stuck in time. They been the same size for years. Dead Cedar was leaned up against the trees,not much was growing under them. I went in there and cut some of them down. That will get something growing now.
Dew,my Log Dog,and me was checking it out and he cornered a porcupine. I headed back to the house for a gun. It had moved quite a bit when I got back,but he was still barking.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 14, 2013, 06:48:13 PM
Did you ever have an order to fill and be short some logs. ?
I did today so I went up to see one of my logger friends. I went to the landing an made 2 trips  :D

This friend is well organized on the landing the bobcat works well and loads me.

after that I was talking to a logger, and I made a deal to buy 200A of hemlock. he called it the black forest. thats how thick it is , not all hemlock it has w pine and hard wood too, It just has not been cut in a very long long time like 150+ years.I can't wate to see the logs. and the best part it's 1 mile away .
I will get some picks 1# load next week.  8) 8) 8)
More than once, not a miss quote, but an additional requirement, thankfully a good friend is a logger with timber,  and its nice to pull up and load up when necessary.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

The call was for 14' wood I had some. And I hate 14' anything . No calls for it just once in a wile. Going to be 8x8  in a timber frame. Need 22 of them. Had 10. On the 2# load I had him fill the rest of the trailer with 16'
A&P saw Mill LLC.

JohnM

Hey Peter, I know you chip most of your slabs/waste.  Was curious, do you sell the chips?  And if so do you separate by species and/or soft/hardwood?  Who buys them?  Sorry for the random off topic. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Peter Drouin

Hi John  smiley_wavy
I chip most or all the soft wood , for the hard wood I put it in a pile or bundle it for sale [fire wood] the chips sell slow but they do sell for landscaping. The power company that burns it will only give $20 a ton. And it's hard to get in there because of the mechanized loggers, they move a lot of wood chips and they have a contract with them. And the wood pellet guys only want hardwood chips. I'm always looking for a market. And no one is off topic on my threads  :D :D
I welcome all thoughts and opinion. :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jim_Rogers

Pouring rain here today.

But yesterday, I cut some 22-24" wide slabs for bar tops 3" thick.

I got a customer who wanted a 30" piece with round edge on both sides. I talked him into two 15" pieces.

He's going to come over and pick out two of these and I'll put them one at a time back onto the mill with the round edge down and trim to 15" or so. And then he can join them and make his bar top.

These are 10' pieces and I think he said he only needed about 7' or so.

They are the greatest quality but I think he can make them work.

Jim Rogers

PS, posted here because it was all in "a day of cutting wood"

Magicman

Species?  From the looks of those slabs, I do not believe that he will have any trouble meeting his needs.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on November 27, 2013, 04:30:56 PM
Species?  From the looks of those slabs, I do not believe that he will have any trouble meeting his needs.

Yes, Eastern White Pine (EWP)

Thanks Dave....

Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Good job Jim , I get a call from time to time for slabs. But not one this year  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 27, 2013, 05:12:14 PM
They look wet and heavy.

They are wet today, it's been pouring rain here all day.

And they are heavy, I slid them off the log onto the forks so I didn't have to move them very far.
He didn't show up yet, probably because it was raining.
But maybe he'll come over Friday.

Jim Rogers

PS. I have been getting all kinds of calls for sawing up large logs. More this last one or two months then ever before.

I have been considering getting the largest CSM that they make, but I don't have the money right now.

I have these logs sitting waiting for me:

They are around 42" on the small end of each. The customer is going to hire a guy I know to come over with his 36" bar chain saw and cut them into quarters first.

I suggested he cut them like this:

Once they are quartered then I'll take the mill down there and cut up this city tree.

I scaled the 8' one at 664 bdft, and the 9'6" one at 789 bdft. Not counting any over run. And with the cracks and the quartering I don't expect to get much if any over run.

The butt of the bottom log has some rot in it and a small metal stain as well.

When, or should I say, if, I saw these up, I will take some pictures for sure.

Peter Drouin

After their 1/4 down it should not be too bad to cut. Is that red oak ?
And what is a CSM ?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 27, 2013, 08:38:48 PM
After their 1/4 down it should not be too bad to cut. Is that red oak ?
And what is a CSM ?

Yes, red oak. Biggest tree on Oakley Street. Half on town property half on customer's front lawn leaning over customer's house, more and more each year. Customer was very nervous about it falling on his house.

Jim Rogers

Cguignard

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on November 01, 2013, 04:19:08 PM
About those monster red oak logs I was sawing, here is a shot of some of the crotch grain in the first piece.

Next came loading the biggest of all of them.

The mill couldn't roll it over by itself. I had to give it a little help with the backhoe bucket:

With the saw all the way to the top, I made the first cut:

As you can see by the shadows this was early in the morning.

After I made the first cut I tried to make a second one to start cutting it down to size before I had to "Bibby" it.
But I forgot that the gas tank was about empty and I was suppose to fill it up before I started sawing.
So wouldn't you know it, 2/3 of the way through the second cut it runs out of gas. Now I can't back out of the cut and I can't reach the tank.
What a bone head thing to do.

I had to get the step ladder and go up there and get the tank down and put 1 gallon or so in it to get through the cut. And then I lowered it down to remove it and fill it up full.
I never did that before.

Here is some of the 2x12's that he wanted:

He has hauled out two logs of lumber already and I have one more to cut up.
I cut the crotch off it today, and it's next to the mill ready to load. Got rained out several times today. Note to self, finish roof.

Jim Rogers
Some nice logs you are sawing, I might have missed this but what does bibby mean?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cguignard on November 28, 2013, 05:09:32 PM
I might have missed this but what does bibby mean?

Go to the top of the page....put your mouse arrow on extras........a box will appear and then click on Dictionary.
Lots of good explanations in there.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Nomad

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 28, 2013, 05:29:33 PM
Quote from: Cguignard on November 28, 2013, 05:09:32 PM
I might have missed this but what does bibby mean?

Go to the top of the page....put your mouse arrow on extras........a box will appear and then click on Dictionary.
Lots of good explanations in there.  :)

Poston, I don't believe it's in there.  (Ought to be, though!)
     Basically, bibbying (coined in honor of Bibbyman) is trimming an oversize log down to manageable size on the mill by rotating about 45 degrees per cut until it's small and even enough to handle it comfortably.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!