iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Postonm, degrees don't matter. As long as everything is frozen like permafrost, you're good to go. ;D It got up to about 14 here today, I think I'm going to make a call to get the skidder delivered tomorrow.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 14, 2013, 07:47:31 PM
Postonm, degrees don't matter. As long as everything is frozen like permafrost, you're good to go. ;D It got up to about 14 here today, I think I'm going to make a call to get the skidder delivered tomorrow.

Never thought of that Dave. Down here it usually don't get cold enough to freeze everything.
Just plain ol muddy, slop with sleet and rain mixed. It will chill you to the bone when the wind is blowing!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

I'm just ribbin' you because I had no idea how cold it was up in NH. :) I'll take permafrost over what you are talking about any day. That damp, cold air is tough! Do you guys log through the slop, or try to pick the best days?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

I still vote no on the great white north. I remember steel getting brittle and snapping and frostbite every time we had to clear the 1/4 mile driveway. Ugh :(

Give me 80 and dry in December any day. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

My hands and feet still hurt when it gets cold, and it has been over 40 years now.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

Most time here in Maine,the temp in kinda warm when it snows. If it's cloudy that keeps the heat in,some what. I'm talking in the 20's now. A clear day and look out,it might get on the cold side of the single numbers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

QuoteI remember steel getting brittle and snapping and frostbite every time we had to clear the 1/4 mile driveway.
Not that I doubt what you remember, but I can't remember steel breaking when plowing 1/4 mile of my drive for the last ... 44 years.
Wore out some tire chains and had some bolts come loose, but no steel breaks.   Maybe yet to come... ;)

Thought I might break a couple two three times...   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

20-40 below, we lost draw pins, flail chains, arms on manure loaders on the tractor. I remember just fine. Pipes buried 7 ft deep freezing. Sorry, I don't miss it one bit.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

I think it was +10 everything is frozen at the wood lot. When you're moving 19 cords of wood your not cold. But slippery I fell only 3 times :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mesquite buckeye

Peter Drouin

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 14, 2013, 10:16:59 PM
I also don't miss that. :)

When was the last time you made a snow ball ? come on you know you miss it :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

SFires

I live in southern Oklahoma. Use to work with a feller from alaska and I would always laugh cause he would complane when it got down in the 20-10 degrees. He'd say it was a diff kind of cold and he couldn't take it. Lol
A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

Red Good

I agree with your Alaskan buddy , I find it very cold here with humidity compared to -20 but dry . Good thing is I no longer have to soak my wooden hammer handles to keep the heads on !
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

thecfarm

mesquite buckeye,the great white north? 20-40 below? pipes buried 7 feet and still freezing? That is not my area of Maine. Well we did have one winter where we had 2 days of temps like that,about 10 years ago?
Where was you living at the time?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

The Miami of the north, Blooming Prairie, Minnesota in the late 60's. One winter there was no snow and really cold, started freezing the deep pipes that were usually ok. That spring I dug up a broken tile line and hit frozen ground at 6 ft in June. Yuk. I think we had snow on the strawberries in June either that year or the next.

Heading south seemed like a good idea. ;D

Besides, they have grits there. ;D

Peter Drouin

10" of snow makes it look different  :D

Don't know if you can see but a moose went through last night

Then I saw this the other day

This land has all kinds of surprises. :D :D ;)

Not big but we have them. and they smell good too
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

There was this other thing ,A maple grown together, what would do with it, fire wood or ?

And winter is here :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Nomad

That looks like firewood, and it looks like you need it! :D :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If you chain saw it the right way.......someone from Nebraska may give you $300.00 for it.   poston-smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Nomad

Poston, pick it up and bring it to a tourist town down here.  Tell 'em it's a palm log, carve a face on it and call it a Tiki, and you'd get your $300 and enough on top to buy us a beer and a sammich!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

Either charge hourly or  leave it there, it looks good the way it is.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

Some days it doesn't pay  :D  -10 today, went to start the LT40 and the battery is dead, well will not turn over fast to start, got a new battery and It fired right up. Get a pine log, load the mill, the thing is sliding all over, did not think I would live longenuff to get it set. That pine is like a rock frozen hard. I cut the slab off and the sparks are flying .[Frozen mud] and the edge are as sharp as a knife. I cut the flinch and throw it down and it breaks like a piece of glass.I get the log all cut up and the snow is coming down so I'll call it a day, went to blow off the mill and on the #2 pull on the compressor and the rope is in my hand, now I have to fix that.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 17, 2013, 06:17:16 PM
Some days it doesn't pay  :D  -10 today, went to start the LT40 and the battery is dead, well will not turn over fast to start, got a new battery and It fired right up. Get a pine log, load the mill, the thing is sliding all over, did not think I would live longenuff to get it set. That pine is like a rock frozen hard. I cut the slab off and the sparks are flying .[Frozen mud] and the edge are as sharp as a knife. I cut the flinch and throw it down and it breaks like a piece of glass.I get the log all cut up and the snow is coming down so I'll call it a day, went to blow off the mill and on the #2 pull on the compressor and the rope is in my hand, now I have to fix that.

Why I live in sunny Tucson, AZ.  ;D Wish it would rain more though. :'(

Dave Shepard

Peter, do you put those plastic sheets up just for a storm, or can you roll them up?

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 17, 2013, 07:07:41 PM
Peter, do you put those plastic sheets up just for a storm, or can you roll them up?

Just for the winter and they do roll up, to keep the snow out
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: mesquite buckeye link=topic=58063.msg1072014#msg1072014
/quote]

Why I live in sunny Tucson, AZ.  ;D Wish it would rain more though. :'(

But you have the same weather all the time and that would be a pith ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.