iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

quote - "I hope he does not have to make a panic stop."

If the load is loaded tight to the front wall, no inertia can build up in a "brake - check" stop to cause damage. The force of all freight pushes evenly across the front of the van. On a flatbed trailer "false bulkhead" is built by stacking wood and chaining / strapping it down in front of the load to prevent forward movement.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Peter Drouin

The price on W Pine went from .34 a bf to .38 this week is what some big mills are paying now.
I think by spring it will be .40 a bf for logs. :o
I'm going to set my log price at .40 to make my price list for lumber for 2018.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

What grades and lengths do you accept? Do you have to take knotty uppers to get the loggers to sell to you?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rjwoelk

There is talk of a 35 percent increase in lumber up here in canada. That is good for me.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 26, 2017, 01:49:18 PM
What grades and lengths do you accept? Do you have to take knotty uppers to get the loggers to sell to you?

All the big mills only want 12',14',16', and maybe some 10' logs.
What happens is the logs get cut mostly 16' some loggers don't look at the logs and there like a boomerang. :D :D
Over at A&P Saw Mill I want gun barrel straight logs, So that means [old school].
Cut the logs the way they come out of the tree, I get 8'6" and up to 16'6" some 20'6" too
And I pay the same for an 8' like a 16'. If the grade is there.
Hunch back logs, logs with 2 piths, 4"+ knots are pallet logs. Less $$ for them.
At one time that's how trees where cut.
I met a new to me old logger on Saturday was happy I buy 8' logs.
I just half to wach out I don't just get the top half of the tree in a load, The butts had better be there too. :D :D

When I started buying all this wood some truckers, loggers, tryed to pull a fast one from time to time on me. :D
It took a while to weed them out. Now I have a good bunch and they know me better too.
The bigges thing [ THE MONEY IS THERE] no bull.
Buying 8'and 10' brings loggers in.
Dave In the mill biz I do get some knoty stuff, But if I don't pay much for it and tell them [DON'T BRING ME THAT JUNK]  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
They get it. Like I tell the them no smaller than 10" top. Some 8" will come too.
It is what it is, So I try to market the not so good logs.
The loggers don't grow the trees, They just work with it.
What I will not buy is Red rot W Pine.
I got one logger all mad at me because he brought a ½ load of red rot junk. Culled most of it.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

It is a Monday, ::)

Red Oak
A&P saw Mill LLC.

paul case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBBq_1Yvu5Y

Nothing went real wrong ,but nothing went exactly right either. No one was hurt I guess.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

starmac

I see you are making some nice tapered ramps. I have a set I park my truck on, makes it easier to service.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

4x4American

I did that today too Pete..except with a 5" x 9" x 8' piece of hemlock :D . What I do when that happens is balance it on the tire and put my weight on it and pivot it up onto the bed, when its too heavy i reach over and grab it with the cat
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

That was a 10x12x10, Cats do reach. :D :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Today was like monday.
First, I run the Cat over some pallets.  ::)
Then another one.  ::)

With the days in the teens the Cat starting hard, So I called THE CAT MAN..$$$$$$

Wensday I hope is better. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hope he fixed it......maybe.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Shoulda boughta a Kohler.   :D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

4x4American

Something is wrong IMO..usually Cats are great at cold starts.  In the manual on the 420E IT it says you dont need to use the glow plugs unless it's under 0 degrees and I've tested that and it's true and the batteries that are in it are iffy...prolly needa get new ones soon.  Seems like it never ends...
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Can't you plug it up and keep the engine warm?

starmac

4x4, I seriously doubt that cat has glowplugs.
Poston we have to plug stuff in in winter when it gets  below 0, but it do get expensive.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 28, 2017, 09:11:50 PM
Can't you plug it up and keep the engine warm?

Yes, I can. I think with the cold any water in the diesel will give you fits. I put in some stuff in the tank to fix that.
Maybe.

Starmac, It has glow plugs. When it's cold enough, they come on, on their own. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

My cat has glow plugs too pete.. they aren't automatic they are manual on a switch.  iirc the 315 cat's we ran at the excavation company didnt have glow plugs..we didn't really need them anyways
Boy, back in my day..

starmac

I did not realize any true cat engines had glow plugs these days.

bozzaa69

bozzaa69

I do my own mechanics. But the cold is a pain for diesels sometimes. Had a Dresser dozer wouldn't start yesterday. Still haven't got it going.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: bozzaa69 on December 01, 2017, 06:23:45 PM
I do my own mechanics. But the cold is a pain for diesels sometimes. Had a Dresser dozer wouldn't start yesterday. Still haven't got it going.

I gave up on the mechanics thing . I grease and change the oil and all the filters. But that's it. I make lumber, the CAT man fixes the CAT. The GM man fixes my two trucks, The John Deere man fix My John Deere.
That way it's done fast and right.
And I'm pushing out lumber.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Darrel

Quote from: bozzaa69 on December 01, 2017, 06:23:45 PM
Had a Dresser dozer wouldn't start yesterday. Still haven't got it going.

I also have a dresser dozer. It's a cat and dozes on my dresser every night.  :D :D :D :D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!