iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

It's a lot of work to set up and brake down, but fun, and Im wellcome to set up there anytime, for 0 $ to me outher than my time and logs and gas :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Peter Drouin

The new job, well not quite what I thought I was going to see :D I had to put wood under the tires :o soft there

some logs in a pile and some not :D

the customer has to move some over

and these I can't get to

:D :D do you see the size of this w pine tree I put the saw down so you can see the size of the thing

there moving the logs with this, a baby one :D :D

and the first log 16' has 475 bf in it

My poor back :D :D :D :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

I say it looks like a nice whack.

Since it is drying out a bit here, I got another call yesterday and two today.  I just counted the list.  25   :o  Thankfully some are small.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

With 25 jobs thats a whack, and buy the time you get done there be 25 more :D :D Good for you MM and good luck 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Peter,
After seeing that log, my LT15 would have quit and just went back home without me  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Some will never be sawed for various reasons.  I have watched staged logs rot on the ground because the landowner changed his mind, lost his health, or whatever.  My list seldom gets below about a dozen jobs of various sizes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I custom sawed some oak logs a week ago for a customer that has bought a lot of lumber from me.  I did it more as a favor.  After hitting a nail and several screws and ruining three blades, I decided that I will leave the custom sawing of yard trees to you professionals  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yeah, right, thanks.   :-\   :D

thecfarm

Peter,I must be an old man too.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hey, no fair bringing age into the gitty-up-go picture.   :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on April 29, 2013, 09:54:22 PM
Hey, no fair bringing age into the gitty-up-go picture.   :D
at 69 MM you do well, Im 58 and hope I can still gitty, up at 69, thats why I have a chair on the mill when Im 100 , just set me in it and I cut and have a 50 something take the wood a way :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Well to day started not good I put on a new WM blade and cut in the 475bf log and my cuts look like the ocean in a storm :D :D :D
so I slowed the blade down, well that helped but not good enough
so I put on a new blade 2# turn the log and cut, pulled the slab off and there was the ocean, now this log was not the best but come on I want a flat cut,over the years I have had new blades not work the way I want no big deal, so I am having a little fit, so put on a new blade 3# as I was backing up I hit pat for 1" then went forward but the head was not all the down to the next cut, so now I have the blade in the cant and the head going down, not good, so I backed up and that pulled the blade off
so I get blade 4#, all this in a 1/2 hr so Im putting on the 4# blade and I see the blade guard was loose  :o :o :o
what had happing is theres a small allen screw that fell out

and this is where it gos

the pic is after I got one from the hardware store, the thing was dulling the blade and taking out the set the first time around, it would get all cockeyed  :D :D :D smiley_dizzy

well after all that the mill cut like a champ
3500 bf more or less
now I have to go sharpen some blades :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Next time if you leave more than a quarter for the wood nymphs, the set screw will not fall out.  Down here, the wood nymphs like grits (and Jim Beam, just not together ;D). 

Jim_Rogers

Peter:
I know exactly what you mean.

I didn't start my day off very well.
First or second cut, right into the log rest:

I don't think I've ever bent teeth over this bad before.

And last cut of the day:

Last cut of the day, because I've had enough fun for one day..... :'( :D

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

Hi Jim, ya some days  don;t go well
But to day I finish a job today 6,400 bf all but 200 bf was w pine

the customer brought in the logs to me

so line up was not bad :D :D
last night when I sharpen some blades I had 2 new ones that are junk when I hit the blade guide :D

back of my truck with my junk :D :D :D
at lunch I pant my mill with ATF

and that too
do any of you guys use the new debarker wheel it's 1/2 wide

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Not yet, but I have seen the advertisement.  How does it do with smaller logs?  It seems like only the lower corner would hit, but of course if it is sharp it should still cut a path.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2013, 06:04:42 PM
Not yet, but I have seen the advertisement.  How does it do with smaller logs?  It seems like only the lower corner would hit, but of course if it is sharp it should still cut a path.
[/quot

with w pine it works ok but with hard wood ,you have to cut slower because the lower corner will hit, you have to give it time to dig in.
will see how it gos, and MM it will throw more bark in your face then the old one did :D :D :D :D so now I hold my head off to one side when I use the debarker :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

thinking about the newer de-barkers made me remember back when I was shopping for a mill, and the best thing going then was the ole log wizzard that hooked to chain saws!  sure glad we don't have this to worry about!  what a chore this must be to clean off logs, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on May 05, 2013, 08:19:57 PM
thinking about the newer de-barkers made me remember back when I was shopping for a mill, and the best thing going then was the ole log wizzard that hooked to chain saws!  sure glad we don't have this to worry about!  what a chore this must be to clean off logs, 

I had one and it worked good,  back in the day :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

Yea, I reckon they are better than nothing at all, but they scared me into the debarker option real quick!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Well I got some butternut logs that a tree guy had got from some guys yard, and yes theres was some steel :D :D :D

here are two I had 5
some are 2" planks and some are 4"x 14" wide

and the steel , well I started but the steel was to deep :D
so I just cut it off ;D

I found the steel with this

The yellow thing :D :D
I had a pice that made a mantel too

you don;t see a 6'x8"x16" butternut mantel at home depot :D :D :D :D
and the rest of the stuff I made turning blanks

I use hot wax on everything
It was a good day sawing 8) 8) ;D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

A nice day to cut some wood, A small job with a lot of mud :D

you can see the tire with wood under it :D
I got things going

A slow start but thats ok, some days are like that :D
but when you work with logs things can happen,

If not carefull they will get you, or role way off to one side then you have a fight :D :D

I did get it down buy Letting it hit the outher logs to stop it and not hit the WM , but the line up was not that good
but my LOG MOVER work good

the 3# log

all lined up :D

would you all make a 4" one by out of this or toss it in the slab pile?

I think I got 1/2 way or so Ill be there 2 more days, don;t want to kill myself :D :D

I know Im the only one with an aircompressor on a job site :D :D but when im done I put ATF on some things , wet sawdust will rust things

and On the debarker too
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

A pile of logs contains lots of potential energy and can be very dangerous. 

Looks like that you have things set up nice. 

Peter Drouin

Yes they can, I have to think when I go to use the metal detecter and put my back to the log pile  :o :o :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

And you have your mill shed set up nice too, but with all the wood your going to have to get #2 shed up soon  :D :D :D best of luck to you WDH
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!