iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

As a matter of fact, I have been thinking about millshed #2  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Nice day to day , then the thing :D :D

what do you do with that :D :D
cut it :D

I cut the hump and look :D :D :D :D :D

From there I cut 1x12x10' some were 8' and I saved the short ones too :D I did ask the customer not to put it in the pile :D

the hump he'll get it all :D :D all by the BF

When I make my piles I leave the first board out and put the length on it. and if the sawdust gets to high I can dig and know where to start counting the pile for the BF

16 left done by noon maybe 1 :D :D

rain at 4pm going home then to town meeting to night
to keep my tax DOWN :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Peter Drouin

well got done to day 4700 bf, but I broke my mill :D

the new debarker was biting hard and climbing up on the log ,and when it hit a limb stub it would jump out and bang back in to the log :o :o :o. way to much bite :D :D :D in this case biger is not better ;D ::)
well all fix now

Iorn man wire feed works good
I have a customer in the morning with 7 or 800 bf of hard wood to do so I took the corners off to see how that works :D :D :D and yes WM will here all about it in the morning :D :D :D

and if that don't work Ill put it on the cnc and make it like the old one :D :D I think it was 1/4 or 3/8 wide not the new 1/2"
A&P saw Mill LLC.

bowman316

ya know, it just seems like there is no easy way to cut large amounts of lumber.  I mean even if you have to top of the line professional saw mill,  you still are gonna burn thru 20 blades a day.  If your one of those mills that produces all of the 2 x 4s in home depot. 

I mean these high volume saw mills must be changing blades every 20 mins.  Seems like there should be a better way to keep a blade sharp longer. 

Chuck White

I wasn't aware that WM has come out with a 1/2" debarker blade.

Must take some "additional" power to run that especially if you have it really loaded!  :o

I like the 1/4" myself I have only adjusted mine up/dn maybe twice since I've had the mill.  I suppose if your debarker really takes a rap once in a while it may need realignment more often!

Nice saw-job Peter!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I have the same mill as Peter, and in white pine I would only use 2-3 bands a day, unless I hit something. WM says 2 hours or 800 board feet for the .055" bands, so that's about right cutting boards. Because I work alone, I don't really pay attention to the hour part.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 17, 2013, 10:01:30 AM
I have the same mill as Peter, and in white pine I would only use 2-3 bands a day, unless I hit something. WM says 2 hours or 800 board feet for the .055" bands, so that's about right cutting boards. Because I work alone, I don't really pay attention to the hour part.

you cut 400' in an hr alone ?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

More like 300. That's 2400 feet a day/3 bands. If I'm sawing 3.5 inch planking or 30' 10"x12"s, then I might saw a lot more in a day. This is stationary with a Lull or other forklift.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

What do you use 3.5 planking for, how much do you do of 1"  boards in a day, say w pine :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

The 3.5" planks were for Dutch barn threshing floors. I'm not sure what I would do an hour just sawing 1" boards as I'm usually cutting timbers, so the 1" or 5/4 is incidental to the main project.

Peter Drouin

I do cut a lot of 2" and 1" ,some timbers too, the last job was all 1" x as wide as I could get some where 16",
It just seems like it takes for ever to cut 1" :D :D :D but some jobs are like that
working alone I could only cut 225 BF an hr,all 1", I think im getting old :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

GDinMaine

Peter you just made me feel a bit better. I was cutting all 4/4 yesterday and the best I could do was 180 bf/hr.  Granted I only had a handful of logs larger then 12" diameter and the max board width was specified as 12".  So I cut some 16" down to 8" and so on.  Also I'm quite a greenhorn at this.   :P 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Dave Shepard

With the forklift I load one log at a time, and push the slabs onto the loading arms. Boards go on one pile, and flitches go on another. I keep the piles close to the hitch end of the mill. At the end of the day I scoop up the flitches and take them to the edger. I don't have to handle slabs by hand, and I don't have to roll logs. I cut a bunch of tulip last year, all 1", I think that was just over 300/hr.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 17, 2013, 07:32:23 PM
With the forklift I load one log at a time, and push the slabs onto the loading arms. Boards go on one pile, and flitches go on another. I keep the piles close to the hitch end of the mill. At the end of the day I scoop up the flitches and take them to the edger. I don't have to handle slabs by hand, and I don't have to roll logs. I cut a bunch of tulip last year, all 1", I think that was just over 300/hr.

When Im home I have John deer help me ,and use the WM edger but I was working in a  loggers landing, the pine was cut this past winter. when I go on a road job I just bring the mill. If I bring the john deer and the edger and the chipper I have to bring 3 or 4 men with me . then my 4700 bf job would be done in a day.  I would stay on the mill all day .and let the help move the wood :D :D :D

So for an old man working alone with just the mill 67.50 an hr to cut 1" lumber I though was not bad . I can shine at 2" and biger lumber  :D :D :D

I am trying to get off the road and have logs come here to me . It would be easer on me ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Had a customer want some cookies out of hemlock, I told him they will split but he said that will be ok, all 5" tall

70 of them :D

do any of you know what this is for

the bar is about 10lb and the tip is 2" or so wide and was made with the bend in it, and a T on the outher end
A&P saw Mill LLC.

JohnM

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 21, 2013, 08:24:39 PM
the bar is about 10lb and the tip is 2" or so wide and was made with the bend in it, and a T on the outher end

Was going to guess bark spud but now I'm thinking a lever/wedge/treefeller thingy? ???
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

WDH

It is an Offbearer Behavioral Control Device.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

:D :D :D "OBCD"!  now thats' a good one ;D  I might be afraid the offbearer might get a hold of it before me! ;D   Everyday is a day of cutting something, if nothing more than through too much fat on a slab of bacon ;D  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mesquite buckeye

Looks like a slate bar. 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

the guy that gave it to me said it was use on a railroad to move cars, but I don't think so a rr car is to much weight.
I have use it to peel a log and it worked good but at 10lb you have to be in shape :D :D
But it could be a slate bar I don't know ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Was it on here someone was talking about putting a derailed train car back on the tracks with some sort of pry bar? This was only off the tracks a little,not 20 feet off the tracks. They claimed it did not take much effort to do it. Maybe I am thinking it happened that way????????
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bowman316

Think about when your hooking up a wood chipper to a truck,  or a large trailer like that. 
It prob could move a RR car a few inches, to make it hitch up.  Like when your chipper is an inch off track from falling down on the ball.  just pry it over. 

Bandmill Bandit

My grandpa had one like that was a part of his tool kit when he was lineman on the CPR. If I remember right he said they used it to lift/pry the rails up to change out worn ties and then put the the steel plates on the new ties that the rails set on.

I think My dad still has that "crow bar".   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

thanks, that makes sense
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

started a small job to day. and the customer set it up nice

I see one or two that have rot, the guy wants all 2"x12", 2"x6" and 8x8s all w pine, he said 5500 bf ,most are 16' logs, well see ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!