iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got bit by the Kohler bug...

Started by cobbr68, June 08, 2020, 09:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The Kohler 26 hp EFI engine is one of the greatest mysteries on this earth.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Southside

Good to hear from you goat!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

barbender

Haven't heard from that goat in forever, but he must've got wind of a Kohler floundering and had to come head butt it😂
Too many irons in the fire

cobbr68

Ben,

I bought the mill with 30 hours on it. Don't know if the previous owner changed the oil in that time frame.  This is the first time I changed it. 

I usually use 87 octane.  However, this time I used non-ethanol.    To remove bad gas as the potential culprit, I removed and replaced the gas but had the same result (not knowing at the time that the rod was broken)

The mechanic texted me this explanation:

Hi. It just goes off when the engine doesn't run after a few turns not an issue it just thinks the engine isn't turning because it doesn't get a reading at low rpm. Nothing to do with the push rod issue. 

Rick
Incremental improvement is better than postponed perfection.

cobbr68

Poston,

Speaking of mysteries, why do they call you goat?

Rick
Incremental improvement is better than postponed perfection.

SawyerTed

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on June 15, 2020, 06:44:51 PM
The Kohler 26 hp EFI engine is one of the greatest mysteries on this earth.  ;D
Other great mysteries - women and trailer lights.   I have a Kohler EFI on another piece of equipment.  Unlike women and very much like trailer lights it is an exasperating engine.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

A even bigger question is what is the origin of the SGU and the nickname "Posthole"  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

POSTON WIDEHEAD

YAWN.......going to get back in my pen. :)

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: cobbr68 on June 17, 2020, 06:30:02 PM
Ben,

I bought the mill with 30 hours on it. Don't know if the previous owner changed the oil in that time frame.  This is the first time I changed it.

I usually use 87 octane.  However, this time I used non-ethanol.    To remove bad gas as the potential culprit, I removed and replaced the gas but had the same result (not knowing at the time that the rod was broken)

The mechanic texted me this explanation:

Hi. It just goes off when the engine doesn't run after a few turns not an issue it just thinks the engine isn't turning because it doesn't get a reading at low rpm. Nothing to do with the push rod issue.

Rick
Thank you very much for the info cobbr68.

Machinery failures are prone to repeat without a clear understanding of 'cause and effect'.  That broken push rod may have simply been faulty.  Kohler OHV engines have had a history of valve train failures.   Since this may very well have been the first oil change, and the fault showed up directly after that oil change, and using the correct oil in a Kohler engine is essential, and none of the other maintenance items you preformed would cause this sort of problem,  I was focused on improper oil as a likely cause. 

Sure hope you don't take me as argumentative when I say,  modern crankshaft sensors are quite sensitive, they read accurately at very low cranking speeds up to very high RPM's.  That said, extended cranking resulting in no-start can set CPS codes.  So, the busted push rod preventing quick starts and no-starts might actually have had some indirect effect on the code.

Thank You Sponsors!