iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How low can you go?

Started by Patrick NC, February 19, 2023, 03:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Seems like different manufacturers are all over the board with how close to the deck you can cut. Lately I've been getting quite a few orders for 3/4 inch boards. With a little tweaking I got my hd36 to cut 3/4 with room to spare. 

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Dave Shepard

Could probably get 7/8", but that would be very close. I cut 1" all the time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GAB

I had a customer that wanted 3/4" thick live edge cherry boards.
Not being too bright and not wanting to saw below 1", I sawed down a bit over half, then rotated 180°, lifted the half log up with the hydraulic clamp, put two 4" wide pieces of plywood between the cant and the bed of the mill, then sawed the rest. He was happy as he got what he wanted.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Crossroads

I cut down to 3/4" pretty regularly on the lt40, but I have to be paying attention when I set my clamp. With some effort, I think I could get down to 5/8", but it's not worth it, so I just tell customers that 3/4" is it. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

KenMac

I can get 7/8 but I don't really try very often. The pucker factor isn't worth it. I tell customers that the bottom board will be 1".
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Magicman

I can cut down to 1" and probably a bit lower but I don't.  I start so that the dog board is usually @1 1/8". 

I always advise the customer that I do this to make up for any "stress sins" that the cant may hand out as it is sawn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I routinely saw down to 3/4" but if sawing anything thinner I built my cheat sheet to leave a 1" dog board. When sawing to 3/4" I also have to be sure both front and back edges are cut square. Any rounding and my clamp may fail and the board/cant will slip free.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

JoshNZ

We do 17mm boards occasionally. guess that's 11/16". A part of me doesn't believe it will do it every time I'm looking at it but, clearance is clearance. If it does it once it'll do it again.

terrifictimbersllc

Mine will go down to 3/4 but auto-down or pattern mode wont do it. For example if pattern mode programmed all 7/8 to the bed the last drop wont do anything it will stay at 1-29/32. Have to lower it by hand.

I usually tell customer that last board is 1". Most asking for thinner dont know what they want anyway. :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

One inch on the Thomas that I own.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

My Lumbermate 2000 is designed to make a 3/4" last board but I don't go less than 1". Lower than an inch would be too stressful for me and sawing should be fun, not nerve wracking.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Rhodemont

1 1/4 is as low as I go.  I get so nervous trying to go any lower it is not worth it.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Cedarman

I have sawn quite a few 1/2" boards.
Cedar usually lays flat and doesn't bow. I rotate 180 several times sawing 1/2".
For last board I take a 1/2" board and place underneath a 1 1/8" board. I leave the boards stacked as I saw so have all that weight on top is keeping things flat.  Make the final cut and all boards are 1/2". Doing this when sawing orders of 100 sq' or less. Otherwise, run cants through  the multihead. Makes 10 boards a minute with resaw.
A lot of times just saw so that I have 1" left over.
We saw huge amounts of 3/4" to make T&G.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Stephen1

I do 7/8" all the time, for B&B. I use the inch scale for my cants and drop 1" making 7/8" 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SawyerTed

I'm in the 1" camp and figure that dog board is there to allow for any movement errors to be there.  

If the customer doesn't want/need 1" boards, usually they need/want stickers so the 1" boards become stickers.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

RAYAR

My custom built mill will cut to 3/4" and I have no fear of cutting down to this if I need to.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

WV Sawmiller

Timely topic. I had a repeat customer call today and ordered some 3/8" X 3.5" X 8' strips. He uses them for crafts and was cutting them from old pallets but decided it was too much work and had me cut him some as a test. It must have worked as he is out and ordered more. They are very easy to cut as I just make 1/2" drops on my SimpleSet and with the 1/8" kerf I leave a 3/8" board. I was thinking I needed to add a new column on my cheat sheet for 3/8" then I realized if I start anywhere on 1" or a .5" mark, drop 1/2" per cut then stop when I reach 1" I am golden. 

For anything less than 1" thick I bill by the square foot so I really like orders like this.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

taylorsmissbeehaven

I dont saw below one inch either. I will saw whatever the customer wants above it. I have nicked my clamp at several different heights electricuted-smileyso I may be a bit saw shy!!!
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Brad_bb

My LT15 is set up to cut down to 1-1/16.  My upright are chewed up enough as it is, I don't need to cut into the stops on my bunks.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!