iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer Wireless remote?

Started by Dave Shepard, February 07, 2008, 08:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Anyone know anything about these? I talked to a neighbor of mine today that is getting an LT40HDD51 with it in early march. He is interested in having me run the mill for him. Can this mill be run other than with the wireless remote?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

looks like a new option, but I couldn't find any info on their website, I noticed it on there earlier tonight.

I like it.  sawing from the other end of the saw interests me...  lets me watch the helpers better...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DR Buck

Saw it in Indy at the 25th celebration.   Looked pretty slick.   Wondering if it might be available as an add-on option to existing mills?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bibbyman

What will they think of next.  I know, voice command!  Now you're talking!

I too seen it at the 25'th celebration.  I didn't ask if the mill could be ran with out it but I suspect it could.

Sparks will let us know.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

zopi

JRC Mentioned it in the CBN thread...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

abatol

well you gonna make me break out the secret weapon . wireless remote motors for manual mills . even got some cool cammo  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95912
It doesn't matter what shape the board is as long as it's a rectangle. Smiley   Stolen Quote Thanks TOM

MartyParsons

Yes you can run the mill with out the wireless. It is a basic walk with mill. It will have a box under the operator console. When you want to operate the Wireless you flip a switch and strap the controls around your waist or where ever confortable. It has a Emergency stop button on the WR that kills everything on the Mill. It will have the Auto Clutch switch and forward feed, up down and I think you will be able to change from Auto Down and Pattern cut. I have only seen one of these in the test mode couple of months back. So I know they are working on a few final changes. I will keep you posted. I am sure it will hit the show cuicit soon. It will be available in the LT40SHD, LT50HD and the LT70. It comes standard with the Auto Clutch. Accuset 2 will be a perfered option. This will allow the owners to go 12' or 24' extensions, before this the Command control  was limited to 27'.
I think I heard it could be a add on. ?
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bibbyman

Quote from: MartyParsons on February 08, 2008, 06:03:30 AM
This will allow the owners to go 12' or 24' extensions, before this the Command control  was limited to 27'.

Marty

Whaaa!?  Does this mean they have a Command Control station that will not require the cable track?  I understand the cable track is what limits the length to 27'.  There is a lot of "stuff" in that cable track.
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

I have only seen one of these in the test mode couple of months back. So I know they are working on a few final changes. I will keep you posted. I am sure it will hit the show cuicit soon.

This mill is scheduled to be built in the next two weeks, and delivered in the first week or two of march, so they must have everything worked out. This will be the first mill sold out of Hannibal with the wireless remote we were told yesterday.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sparks

Sorry guys.......If you want wirless you will have to purchase it on a new mill. No retrofit will be available. This is a new mill option only and must be ordered with the mill. If you buy a new mill without it you can not add it on.     Thanks all and be careful out there.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Bibbyman

Sparks,  what about my question about the remote eliminating the cable track on Command Control model mills?   (see above)

I'd be more interested in getting rid of the cable track than the remote. 

Will y-all have more info and videos on your web site?
Sawing since '94

MartyParsons

No cable track. It will have the operator station that will move with the saw head.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bibbyman

This will allow the owners to go 12' or 24' extensions, before this the Command control  was limited to 27'.

Marty

I guess here is where I got confused.  To me, "Command Control" design type has the control station fixed at the hitch end on the LT40 and hooked to a cable setup on the LT70.  Both mills have to have the cable track - thus are limited to 27'. 

Here is Mary at the Command Control station on our LT40.
Sawing since '94

sparks

If you buy an remote sawmill with wireless you will still have a cat track. If you want a mill without a cat track then you would order a non-remote mill with wireless. Remember these mills can still be used without the wireless so a remote still needs the cat track. As I said before, right now there are no plans to make the wireless a retro fit. It must be bought with the sawmill. Thanks all and be careful out there.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

AusLJW

I would be great if WM would consider the wireless control as retro fit kit.  It would help me enormously.  Don't wish to sell my LT40HDD just to upgrade that one aspect be would be happy to buy reto fit kit.  Sparks- thanks for info re edger motor.

Bibbyman

Another side issue of the wireless remote –

I think, and I could be wrong,  but it only operates the major functions of the head.  You still have to be there to run the hydraulics. Is that right?
Sawing since '94

MartyParsons

Well this is new. I think Bibbyman is correct. I am not real sure. I would think ( this is dangerous) the LT70 would be easier since they all ready have solenoids for the remote ( Not Wireless remote). I can hardly wait to operate one.  ;D
Marty

Bibbyman

See .... Sparks should have sent me out a new LT50 with all the options - including wireless remote to try out so I could do a proper review on it.
Sawing since '94

pineywoods

Quote from: Bibbyman on February 11, 2008, 08:24:42 PM
See .... Sparks should have sent me out a new LT50 with all the options - including wireless remote to try out so I could do a proper review on it.

Hey just hang on a bit, I'm working on one that will work on a standard LT40. Just don't quite have it ready yet.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

zopi

I see where this is going....ya get a 70..wireless..adapt the hydraulics...add an RC radio..say four or five channels, lubemizer,
servos on a couple of toggle switches to control the hydraulic diverter valves..one for the Bibby's got backstops, one for the
Woodbibbybaker live deck..

next ya gotta start adapting the terex to RC...pretty soon Bibby won't even have to get off the porch...just gotta dig a big enough hole for a dump trailer to set in so the boards can fall off the board return and slide down the roller boards into
a semi neat stack in the trailer...gota hire somebody to bring ya yer cold beers...oh..hack a roomba to make fridge runs... ;D

Jeez...I'd settle for a decrepit bobcat...with a pinto engine...or a kanga...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bibbyman

I got it pretty comfy now.   :D
Sawing since '94

beav39

sawdust in the blood

Dave Shepard

Mill is scheduled to show up on April 7. Remote controls autoclutch, up/down, travel, debarker, blade guide arm. Accuset and lube mizer are not on the remote. Can't wait to try it out. Of course hydraulics are going to be a new option for me too. 8)

Dave

pineywoods

Got a home-built remote on my old 95 LT40. Still got a few bugs to work out yet. I assume the factory job is radio control, mine is infrared, similiar to TV remote, keep the remote control in my shirt pocket.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Dave Shepard

I'd like to see that. Do you press PLAY to start the saw and Rewind to return the head? :D Just kidding. Are the parts to build infrared stuff readily available? Do they require a direct line of sight? I know my TV remote works if I bounce it off the wall first.

Dave

pineywoods

Dave, parts are readily available and cheap. The field of view on mine is about 120 degrees wide. I had to put a hood over the sensor to restrict that some. Park a tractor with a hot engine in the wrong place and funny things happen ;D Like I said, a few bugs yet. Sensitivity is quite good, works fine from 100 ft away. Progress has been slow, people keep showing up with logs they need sawn ASAP.

Dave Shepard

What are the pros and cons of infrared and radio? Sounds like it would be fun to play with some wireless stuff.

Dave

WH_Conley

Didn't we have a member a few years ago that had a wireless remote?
Bill

bandmiller2

Guess I'am heading in the wrong direction,you guys are on the cutting edge[yea pun]and I'am planning handset and flat belt feed.Why does high tech red neck come to mind.Whole new set of excuses sun spots,no 9v batteries,dog ran off with the remote.This is the stuff that keeps life interesting,and the cookie jar empty. Frank C.

A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

Here is a link to the wireless remote at Wood Mizer. Wireless Remote

Mill is coming tomorrow today. I will report back later. :) ElectricAl has a picture in the crash archive's photo album. (Came up on a Google search, ;) )

Dave

Dave Shepard

Going from a '94 manual LT40 to a brand new Super Hydraulic, and wireless no less, is quite the eye opener! It will really "Walk the Dog" As Bibbyman would say. :D It took a few minutes to get used to the remote. It was windy today, and the debarker throws a good shower of sawdust into the procedings. Kept trying to walk with the head, but realized I could just step aside out of the dust cloud. ;)

The remote is very straight forward, and will work out well, as I will have to do my own tailing part of the time. We have to rearrange the edger and lumber piles closer. I take a board off the  mill and put it on the stack, and then as I'm walking back to the mill I just bump up the head and zing it back to the front of the mill, autoclutch as I hit the drop and send it back into the log. I think you would need a tazmanian devil for a tailman to keep up with this thing. :o

You have to be at the head of the mill for hydraulic functions, same as a regular mill. I would like to see them mounted up on some sort of riser so you don't have to bend over to run them. You must also be at the head to change the Accuset settings. This isn't a problem, as you are there to run the hyd. anyway. The procedure is to set it on manual and set your opening height and then hit auto down. After you have a flat on the bed rails, you select pattern. The remote will make your Accuset drops for you, same as if you were using the lever on the head. Board dragback and debarker are also operated from the remote. All functions on the main controls are disabled when the remote is activated, except the Accuset panel.

I think this is a great option for anyone who wants to run a long bed extension, but still have the ability to operate remotely. I can't see being able to utilize the speed of this mill without a remote station or the wireless, unless you used the operators seat. I don't think you would want to walk with it at the speeds the head moves.

Dave

farmerdoug

Dave,  My LT40SH has the remote accuset and you are right about keeping up with the mill without it.  Of course if you had to run with the mill the off bearer had probably be less tired than you at the end of the day. :D :D
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Dave Shepard

I agree, I wouldn't want to run alongside this thing. I think I would tie a string to the return handle and just give it a pull when it got through the log. That would be wireless too. :D ::)

Dave

Dave Shepard

Here is a close up of the remote. Starting with the silver toggle on the left: Power, Autoclutch, Board return, Debarker and Debarker in/out. Left rubber toggle is forward/reverse, and blade guide in/out. Right rubber toggle is up/down. To the right of the up/down is a small speed pot to control the head travel speed. There is also an E-stop on the left side of the box. The remote has been very easy to get used to, except that at first I was trying to walk with the control panel. ::) I got over that quickly though, can't keep up with it. :D I don't have anyone to tail for me yet, so it is very handy to have the remote, as I can be in position to grab the board or slab, and not have to be near the controls to stop the sawhead. Very cool feature! 8)

Dave

beav39

DAVE ARE THE HYDRO HANDLES STILL STATIONARY?
sawdust in the blood

Mooseherder

Next upgrade will be voice commands. :D

Dave Shepard

Yes, the hydraulic controls are unchanged. I find that the only time I have to change any setting on the Accuset is when I have turned the log, so I am already near the Accuset when I am turning. I would like to see the handles mounted higher, myself.

I think the wireless would be a cool way to do the stationary remotes as well so you could use a 12' or 24' bed extension without 50' of cat track. Actually, if I sat on a stool and mounted the wireless on the end of the mill, it would be like a command control, only you would have to wait for the head to come back to change the settings on the setworks. :D

Dave

Dan_Shade

you're days of manual milling are over!  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!