iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help identifying this wood cut in Virginia

Started by torn0016, December 28, 2014, 02:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torn0016

Hi,
I am new to this forum and I am in need of some help identifying some wood I cut in Richmond. The tree was half dead when I cut it and it appears to be spalted or have some sort of rot (which has given it some nice color). I was carved a bowl out some of the wood but I was wondering if it was safe to woodwork with this wood? (I don't plan on using it for food). Also, that is the natural color of the bowl, with mineral oil, no stain. Any advice is much appreciated!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, torn0016.  Nice bowl.  8)

Adding your location to your profile will help with future questions, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mayor

Dead standing sassafrass!.   I've got lots of it here.....the bark should be kinda soft and brown.....will scratch off easily.   once dead and water spalted, the worms usually bore holes thru it also!.  It will be fairly light and will put off fine dust in the air with a pleasant smell sorta like perfume.  The solid portion of the wood should cut quite nicely with little splintering.....also, it will sand well if dry.    I'm not 100% sure but I'm 80%.

curdog

I was kinda leaning towards sassafras when I looked at the pictures of the bark. I'm not very good at identifying bare wood, but I'm going with sassafras on this one as well.

WDH

This wood looks diffuse porous.   Sassafras is ring porous with a very pronounced grain that jumps out at you.  This grain looks very subdued. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Looks like some sweetgum. I'm burning some pieces right now in the fireplace here at The Beach.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

torn0016

Thanks for the replies! I have compared pictures of sassafras and sweet gum and I think these two are excellent choices. Once the wood is spalted, these two look very similar. I agree with mayor on the post about worm holes and the bark, as these characteristics appear on the wood I have. Therefore I am leaning towards Sassafras, but not 100%. Thanks for narrowing it down to these two, your advice is much appreciated 8) :new_year:

WDH

Not to sound like a broken record, but sassafras is ring porous.  The wood in your pic looks to be diffuse porous.  So sassafras is very unlikely  :)

ADJR

I agree with WDH . Sassafras has a coarse grain and in my opinion it resembles chestnut in grain and color. Sweet gum is very possible.

torn0016

Thanks! I guess that eliminates sassafras haha leaning towards sweetgum now (going to research chestnut and try to compare it also).

clww

I don't think you'll see any American native chestnut that big around here.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Chestnut is also ring porous, so it is ruled out. 

Thank You Sponsors!