iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone using Satellite internet??

Started by Snag, March 14, 2006, 07:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I think mine is the 'puter. My numbers seem low but I can't complain about how fast things load, except when it has "the slows", and that happens the more I use it throughout the day.
Run Window Washer/Spysweeper/Spybot before I go nite nite, re-boot in the a.m. back to near-instant loading.
I think I'll try it again in the a.m. see what gives.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Nova

Jeff, don't really know what it is except my ISP advertises 5Mbs (that Mega not kilo  :)) and I am only on their tier 2 service.  They just introduced a 10Mbs modem.  The best I have ever seen in a download is 1.8 -2.2 Mbs.

Nova
...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

TexasTimbers

Up at 0200 hours building my website and thought I'd try it again. A little better at 587 / 658.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

DextorDee

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-03-16 11:26:35 EST:
6902 / 3787
Your download speed : 6902 kbps or 862.8 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 3787 kbps or 473.4 KB/sec.
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Snag

Breederman- I see you have down support FFA.  I think I will need to visit one soon.  I had today off and ended up at this site most of the day.  Addictive.  Just not sure if we have a local "Forestry Forum Anonymous" around here... :D

I think this fever is making me delirious. smiley_sick

breederman

Together we got this !

Michigan Mike

I have wild blue . I do get it though my elec power co op.It seems plenty fast to me I know if I want faster I can get it just have to pay more. I am not a online gamer and am not very high up on the learning curve for computer expertise (Slow learner) :D..  It has been a little  while since it was installed but if I rember correcltly it was about 300.00 installation and about 45.00 monthly. Hope this helps.

Faron

15/16  15kbps or 1.9kb/sec.  Blazing fast! :D :D :D  Pigman down there in Kentucky is even beating the socks off mine!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

HARLEYRIDER

2472 / 1322
Your download speed : 2472 kbps or 309 KB/sec.
That is 40.8% worse than an average user on cox.net

Your upload speed : 1322 kbps or 165.3 KB/sec.
That is 70.5% better than an average user on cox.net

Wow Dexter,....your flyin'
Greenwoods Timberworks

Fraxinus

The electric coop I work for has just got into the Wild Blue business.  Run you about $300 to install and about $50/month.  Too pricey for me.  As far as I know, there's no employee discount. :(  No DSL and no cable out here in the woods.  I'm lucky to get 45K on my dialup.  Some don't have it near that good.
First post in a while.  Howdy all.  Sprucebunny, I'm still over your way every week.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Bill

Not incredibly fast but also not bad for $15 / month -

Verizon 768 dsl ( must be using their phone service to get their dsl though - they're now advertising unlimited local, regional and long distance phone service for $ 40 / month in SE Penna which I'll be checking out real soon now for the fine print ;D  If true total phone bill with unlimited calls and internet could be $55 / mo plus tax ? ? ? We ' ll see .)

676 (down ) / 131 (up)

SwampDonkey

I'll never see those speeds in my area unless the government helps subsidize the phone company to run it up here, and I can't see that. Most people don't even have a computer where I live, no interest in it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Danny_S

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-03-19 09:58:23 EST:
1056 / 270
Your download speed : 1056 kbps or 132 KB/sec.
That is 64.9% worse than an average user on aliant.net

Your upload speed : 270 kbps or 33.8 KB/sec.
That is 41.3% worse than an average user on aliant.net

Peice of crap..... >:(  Likely old telegraph lines running into this 135 year old house I am in.....  ;)
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Wudman

Currently I am using Wild Blue.  I've had it about 2 months, after finally getting totally fed up with Starband.  In my opinion, Starband's customer service was very poor.  Performance in my instance was even worse.  A lot of the time, my speeds weren't much better than dial-up.  System cost was about $700 and monthly costs were $79.99. 

My WildBlue system was $299 and installation was $79.  I have the top tier service which is $79 per month.  I think there is an option for service at $49 per month.  I'm much happier with Wild Blue to this point.  On average, it is about 10 times faster than my Starband system.......and somebody answers the phone within a few minutes when you call customer service.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

simonmeridew

I just got a flyer in the mail today for "Wild Blue" satellite internet. They say:"wildblue reaches virtually everyone, everywhere." if you have a clear southern view of the sky. 1-866-wildblue.  or www.wildblue.com.
worth a lookat
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

pigman

I made a big mistake last night. :( My wife and I were forced to watch our new grand daughter for two hours. 8) While we were at my daughters house, I got on her computer to check on the forum. She has broadband and I was overwhelmed with the speed of the downloads. I was even able to watch the silo shoot down and any other video clips I could find. Now to the question. I am thinking of going with Wild Blue satellite internet and want to know if the members with Wild Blue are still satisfied with the service they are getting.  It is  now $300 for equipment , $50 a month for their lowest speed and free installation. I know their slowest speed is not as fast as some of you are used to, but after dialup all this time, I don't think I can take to much speed all at once. ;)

Slow Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ronwood

Bob,

I am using Direcway also known has Hughnet. I have had good luck with it. A friend of mine had Wild Blue and had some  problems.  Not sure how it is working now.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

RMay

I am thinking of going with Wild Blue also ::)looks like they got the new satellite up .
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

pigman

Thanks guys.  Three weeks ago they would not take on new customers in my area. Checked this week and they are taking on new customers, must be because of the new satellite they just sent up.

Bob

dewwood

Bob,

I will let you know in a few days, they are supposed to install mine sometime this week.  I tried a wireless card in my computer but it was not any faster than my dial up so I returned it to the provider.  Wild blue has just become avialable in our area through the electric coop and hopefully it will be my Christmas present to myself.  Can't wait to try it out.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Corley5

Wild Blue is also available through DishNetwork.  You can get sat TV and internet on one dish like Direcway and DirecTV  Wild Blue maybe a Christmas present here too  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DR Buck

I'm on Hughesnet ( formerly DIRECWAY).  I've been using it for over 6 years now.  I have never had a problem with it.  It has performed well in all but extreem bad weather.   There are no other highspeed options in my area.    I started out with the consumer user  DW-6000 system, upgraded to the DW-7000 a few years back, then this past spring, I upgraded to the small business system.

The small business package uses different hardware and a different satellite.  Initial cost is $999 installed.  Monthly cost is $105.   I have full T-1 (1.5MB) download and 380K upload.   So far I have not had any outages due to weather.   The T-1 speed supports multiple users at the same time with almost no noticeble loss of speed.  One of the other good things with this package is I have complete service coverage with equipment repair or replacement within 24 hours.

Although I am very happy with the system, if given the option I would choose cable or something cheaper or faster.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Michigan Mike

we have wild blue here and  I have been pleased with it. We have the 49 dollar a month service and I am happy with the speed. I know that I can get faster but  this works well enough for us. We recently had problems with conecting and the speed . It turned out that the problem was with our wireless router but before we figured that out I spent probably an hour and a half talking to wild blue's service dept . They were very helpful and quite patient with this tech challenged woodbutcher I would recomend their service.

pigman

Thanks everyone. I just bought and installed a new computer. pc_smiley  I didn't think the old crash and burn ME would handle the faster internet. ;) I will have to wait until my wife gives me my next allowance before I can buy any more toys. ::) Found out our local  Ag. extension board will cost share the equipment and one years service to help us dumb farmers to get satellite internet.  I can't sign up till first of the year to get the fifty percent cost share, by then I might have this new computer figured out. smiley_headscratch

Bob

blueox

We have "Wild Blue" satelite. I love it....it beats dial up. Its expensive to get in, but thats the price we pay for living in the boonies...but I have a view and I wouldn't have that living in town!!

Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

Thank You Sponsors!