iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixer Upper Equipment

Started by JWright, July 04, 2012, 01:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWright

Where is a good place to look for some fixer up equipment related to milling. Like lifts, tractors, grapples etc.?

slider

al glenn

medic

If you're talking just used you could try CMS equipment (click on their logo on the left of the page).  If you actually want 'fixer upper' stuff, Craigslist is probably a good place to start.  A warning about buying fixer upper stuff.  If you have the mechanical ability to do the needed repairs yourself you can get some good deals, if you're going to have to pay someone else to do the repairs you'd probably be better off buying a used piece of equipment in good working order. 
Good luck
scott
Retired Paramedic, TimberKing 1400, Logrite cant hooks, old MacCullough chain saws.  Too many projects not enough hours in the day.

bandmiller2

Unless you have the means to haul equip. it can be costly.Better to find what you need locally.Skid steers are a good choice,industrial loader/backhoes have many uses.The real sleepers are older straight frame loaders like Michigan,Hough,Pettibone est. Those old machines are a little awkward in a small yard, but with forks will handle anything you have any business cutting.Many construction co's have them aropund the yard and can't bring themselves to junk them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Buck

There are a couple of more that I've had good experience with....Sawmill Exchange and Sawmill Trader. They both have different categories and list many different kinds of equipment all over the country. You ought to post your interest because somebody here might have what you're looking for. The FF commission is more than reasonable and helps support this forum. 
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

NMFP

I have purchased equipment off e-bay, craigs list, sawmill exchange, news papers, the paper shop and more.  Often times, the equipment I have purchased was mis posted and there wasnt much competition for it reulting in great deals financially.

Hers an example of how I purchased equipment:
LT40 SH   E-bay
Miner Edger  Sawmill exchange
Champ forklift  E-bay
1 cooks sharpener  cooks
1 cooks sharpener  sawmill exchange
1 cooks sharpener  craigs list
1 cooks setter  ebay
1 cooks setter  cooks
1 suffolk band setter  e-bay
01 frick sawmill  sawmill exchange
BakerAA  resaw with diesel engine  the paper shop
International tractor with loader and forks  craigs list
farmall cub andimplements (all) e-bay
roof tin (new)  e-bay
sticker racks  craigs list
banders and cart  sawmill exchange
debarker (just purchased)  sawmill exchange

and there are many more but... without these types of services, I would not have been able to loacte the items I needed for my business in my area.  I do not have the time to run around looking for stuff so online areas are the best for me.

stumpy

Try going to an equipment dealer and asking if they have anything that they took in trade and don't want to re-sell.  Alot of times they'll take in a skidsteer or tractor that they feel is too old or needs too much work for them to fool with.  They usually have somebody they call that will buy it wholesale from them.  If you're lucky, you can talk them into selling it to you instead.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

crosscut

Take a mechanic with ya even if ya have to pay him a few bucks. Might save ya a lot if you arent familiar with equipment repairs. Some parts are gettin to be hard to find and stuff like hydraulic hoses can about cost more than the equipment is worth anymore. i just traded an old dump trailer i havent used in awhile for a nice massey ferguson 20 industrial tractor with front loader off the barter section on craigslist :)

Bibbyman

There is a "For Sale" section on the Forum.

Also, some of the sponsors have use sawmill and related equipment listed on their web sites.   I know Baker and Wood-Mizer have a used equipment list.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

JWright

Thanks all! Great food for thought and good ideas!

Al_Smith

Thank You Sponsors!