iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Couldn't take it no more

Started by dail_h, June 27, 2005, 03:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

Shoooeeee! The heat usually don't bother me too much,but today,I had to belly up. Started early to move the mill,have a small job right down the road from home,but the mill was 'bout 20 miles away,ready to move,all I had to do was load the 6x12s I set the mill on,9 cement blocks,hookup ,and drive off.A quick stop at the bank,grab a biscuit,come almost home,set mill up,and start sawin'. Shoot,ain't but 10 logs. Noticed it was some hot when I started settin up,but by the time I got set upI couldn't hardly breath,an things wus gittin dark round the edeges. Told the customer I'de come back later,or he could saw'em,I didn't much care. He 'lowed as how he thought I was a durned fool for staying out there as long as I did. He'da gone in earlier,but didn't feel right bout it since it was his logs. Hope it's cooler later this afternoom,I wuz 'sposed to startsawin crosstiesthis morning------ I'm gonna be rich ya know ;D ;D ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

DanG

Ya done the right thing Dail.  Ain't no sense killin' yerself in that heat.  Its sure wicked hot at my place right now. :o :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

slowzuki

We had a hot one for us the other day, 36 C and really high humidity.  It was all I could do to open the tractor cab and take a break from the A/C :D  The hay hardly dried it was so humid.

Ken

Sawyerfortyish

Don't let that heat bother ya. Just keep right on sawin. Why you'll be the richest man in the cemetary ;D :D

Daren

I know the feeling. I run a mill at my place. I was sawing friday, just burning up, and I ran out of gas about 3 p.m.. I went to the shed and the cans were empty so I went in to get my wallet to run for more. I stepped in the house, then I realized just how hot I was. I was soakin' wet and seein' stars. I went back out, cleaned up a little and called it a day (didn't even sticker till the next morning). Man, I used to be a industial pipewelder, wearing a leather coat, eating sparks, hanging like a monkey from a beam where it was 150 degrees. I've been hot before sure enough, but I am taking it a little easier sawing till it cools off some. I run an all manual mill, this is some of the hardest work I have ever done when it is 100 out.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

WH_Conley

Everybody be careful. I have woke up before with the ladies in white sticking needles in me due to the heat, NO FUN.

Daren, I know what you mean about welding, Piledriver in a former life, for some reason the heat is completely different. Welding is hot, but I think it is the physical exertion that gets to you milling.
Bill

dail_h

Went back yesterday "bout 5:30,sawed the first 5 logs,'cept for the last 4 cuts,ran outta light,finished up this morning,and moved after lunch. Still awful hot
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

woodmills1

drink some water then pour some on the head works for me.  DanG hot both yesterday and today but 2 12 hour days cutting today and cuttin and service yesterday.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Octoman

Quite right about the water.  Getting dehydrated will account for a 10% drop in performance.  :P Just keep on sipping the H2O!
WM LT 15 - Fortune favours the Brave!

raycon

The dog and I were out at the mill yesterday. It was'nt the heat but the humidity and accompanying fog that made it uncomfortable.
Lost site of the dog for a moment when I  thought I heard some splashing went looking for her.  She had jumped into the horse trough centered in the veggie garden near by tail wagging away under water...labs crack me up. 
Never thought I'd do it but I might add an umbrella to the mill this summer. When you start seeing the spots try one of the off the shelf energy bars with a quart of water. Definitely don't  over do it in the heat.
Lot of stuff..

MULE_MAN

Here in Central Missouri, There calling for high of 99 & Heat index as high
as 105  !!!   :o  I think from 1:00 to 5:00 your better off to stay in the house  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

countrysaw

I agree with everyone about the water, try to drink at least a quart an hour, and try to mix some gatorade or something in with every 3rd quart.  And even though you do not really feel like eating when it is hot outside, if you do not eat it can lead to heat cramps, exhaustion, or heat stroke if you do not eat, and you will jsut feel run down if you do not eat and drink water.  And try not to drink beer or soda, a soda every now and then can replace some of what your body needs, but it is no substitute for water.  just my 2 cents

zach

P.S. nice day here, at 1100 this morning the temp was a little over 40'C  (104F) in the shade, luckily not too much humidity though
Right now i am playing in the sandbox

Kevin_H.

Mule man you are right on about it being hot in the midwest today...Just got the mill running and came in to refill the gatorade jug. According to the digital thermometer it is 101.5 outside.

We have a 2 gallon container that we keep gatorade in. Sits on the top shelf of the fridge, put your bottle under it and pull the spout, filler up and your good to go...
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

hawby

Man do I agree with the comments about heat... We have been raising a 102 year old barn and putting a new block foundation under it. (I will post pics when I get the %#&^%#*%$ image optimizer to work) Today we pured more footings and the Amish guys that are working with us said they thought it was a good spot to call it a day (2:30 PM) We agreed.

I have to say that for most of the week it at least has had a breeze. Today it was just a haze in the sky and no breath of air.

It doesn't compare to Iraq though. The sand wasn't burning my feet and nothing blew up. All in all, it wasn't all that bad.
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Thank You Sponsors!