iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

good day

Started by trimguy, November 29, 2019, 08:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy

in another thread I was having issues with my saw and got it worked out. I had about 7 hours uninterrupted at my homemade sawmill and had a great day.feel free to snicker and chuckle but this was my best day so far. my mill is manual. 

and I joined this club shortly after I finished my mill. but I guess my membership was due. ;D

Chuck White

Looks like your had a very good day, except for that one oops!  :embarassed:

Most of us have been there and done that!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

There are two types of sawyers, those who try to cut off a piece of their mill with the band, and those who lie about not doing so.  Welcome to the other side.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Chuck White on November 29, 2019, 08:38:51 PM
Looks like your had a very good day, except for that one oops!  :embarassed:

Most of have been there and done that!  ;)
Some more than once - Not that is has ever happened to me, of course. :D :D

Congratulations Trimguy. Keep up the good work. Every day and every log is a new learning experience.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

When I was racing motocross and got a new helmet, the first thing I did was drop it to put the first scuff in it without my head in it. Was supposed to be good luck and keep me from crashing. Must not have helped me though, the announcer didn't call me by my number (22), instead called me BBB "Bales, bails bad". Hopefully taking a bite of your side support will be your "new helmet drop" and bring you some luck. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

RAYAR

That's one way to check if there's any teeth with too much set ;)

Time to build a blade guard. I built one for mine to stop carriage travel (push feed) if the blade is less than 1/4" above a stop. When I bought my mill summer before last, I eventually noticed it had cuts near the top of all three stops. I ground them out and welded them in and also made and added a fourth stop this past summer. I also marked my stops so I know what height I must not go less than when I set them. I have hit metal, but it's been nails.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Old Greenhorn

Congrats. There are few better feelings than a good day of sawing! I can't wait to get back on mine. Looks like you have some good work to start working with.
 As for your 'stop encounter', that could never happen to me. Well not in a very long time. well maybe not a 'very' long time, but a long time. OK, it was 2 weeks ago, but that's a pretty long time, isn't it? :D ;D

Have a great time with the mill, looks like you have many more hours of joy in front of you.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

ManjiSann

Nice boards!  Keep up the good work!

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Nebraska

Well you got more sawn today than I did. Looks good.

Iwawoodwork

Kbeitz has a picture in his gallery of what he added to his mill to prevent sawing the backstops. He built a metal arm that reaches out over the blade inline with the backstop, looks like an easy fab job.

jmouton

boy that wasnt even close,,,,,  we have done it too
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

trimguy

I will just add to this post instead of starting a new one. I had to relocate my mill to another field where there was more logs piled up.i got it set up and ready togo. I layed out and leveled cement blocks for 5 air drying stacks [ i'm glad that's over. I was dreading it. all I want to do is cut wood]. I also built a couple of pallets to stack lumber on to set on the blocks. I did get to cut 4 logs . 8)   everything went great and I didn't hit any metal. :D. so everything should be ready to just cut next time I get a chance go back up there. hopefully that will be next weekend, you know, that whole work thing. also wanted to say, since I've joined I have gotten better with the computer but, I don't know if this forum is a blessing or a curse ? I have my mill straightened out and its cutting great. on the other hand I "had" to up grade to a logrite 60" cant hook and a hookaroon. I need a hydraulic mill, I need a sawmill shed, I need a drying shed, I need a kiln, I need a blade sharpener, I need more wood working tools. :D really its all blessing ! looks like I'm in for the long haul with this hobby. oh yea, I need more time.

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for posting more. As to the shed and such that is typically one of the first things many of us build/built when we got our mill. it is a great way to use your practice lumber and cut an assortment of framing and sheeting lumber. Since it is for your own use you know what is acceptable whether a cosmetic issue interferes with use for its intended use, etc. I used my practice lumber to build a lumber storage shed and it still includes the longest lumber (20'6" headers) for a couple of the bays on my shed. I built 2 bays then realized I had enough room and used roofing left over to build another bay. When I built it I was worrying about how to join/add on to the end and realized it was much simpler to just cut an additional 14' 2X6 rafter than try to move the old one. I realized then it was a lot of fun not having to worry that much about wood cost - if you need another board just cut it. Keep us posted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

trimguy

a saw mill shed is my next project. that's what part of the lumber is for out of the logs that I need to cut up.can I ask what you used for a header ? I think I wanting my opening to be 24' with knee braces [I think that's the right term] to cut the span down to 16'. I was thinking 3- 2 x 10's . 2 x 6 rafters for a shed roof 12' wide and 2' over hang front and back. strip the rafters with 1 x 6's and tin on the roof. no snow load . any thoughts ?

WV Sawmiller

I built mine out of poplar. Made them 2"X12"X20.5' . Each bay is about 12' X 18'. I later added shelves but I use mine for lumber not equipment storage. I used locust poles for uprights and squared the sawed surfaces on the mill. I used 2X6's 14' long for rafters and got used roofing off a barn being torn down. I don't have over $500 in this shed and that is mostly the roof and nails.

I don't know how you'd brace a span as long as what you are describing. The 1X sheeting I put on my corners at 45 degree angles gives me a lot of extra strength. I'd use 2X12 instead of 2X10's. When I added the 3rd bay I scabbed on and bolted the 2X12's together with other 2X12's on the front and back and several feet of overlap. How tall do you plan on making it? I would think the taller you make it the easier the bracing becomes. I'd think you'd want the low end of the braces to be 6' or more off the ground. With no snow load you won't have the same issues I do but mine has stood up well so far. How about wind issues in your area? 

Any reason you can't put extra uprights on the back side? I did on mine because I only needed the wide width on the front on mine.
Howard Green

Nebraska

The saw dust addiction is strong. Spent quite a bit of today stacking lumber getting ready for real winter. I didn't have to build my wood shed just had to clean it out and evict the possums. There are some structural calculators for beams on the forum if you look in extras up top, and lots of experience in building things in the timber framing that's where I'd ask. I've been going through the I need to get/find/buy stages as well, I think it's a pretty symptom with the disease. @WV Sawmiller  I really like that shed if I've never mentioned it before.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on December 08, 2019, 09:51:36 PM
@WV Sawmiller  I really like that shed if I've never mentioned it before.
I too suffer from shed envy, but I don't know if that one would handle our snow loads. Still, after spending an hour shoveling a foot of snow off my stack today, most anything would be better.  ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Peter Drouin

How I started, no roof. 

Then this.
Then on and on,  :D :D :D :D ::)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

And you know what - I bet is still isn't big enough! :D
Howard Green

btulloh

:D  Right. 

No shed has ever been big enough.  :D
HM126

redbeard

We used 4 x 12 x 24' beams and through bolted 2x12 on each side with 8x8 posts 

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Peter Drouin

Set the mill up and build around it. 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

trimguy

I finally have a chance to come back. thanks for the replies and pictures. wvsawmiller I would like my large opening on both sides. the way I'm using my mill now ,I load from one side [slabs go off the same side to be hauled off] and my flitches and boards come off the other side onto saw horses to be moved to stacks to be stickered. I realize anything 24' I will probably not be able to handle manually. but I think it would be easier with two large openings. I also got a chance to go spend some quality time with my mill today, about 4 hours but I really enjoyed it !

so heres a picture of what I got cut, because "with out pictures it didn't happen", 

trimguy

I thought I would give you a little information about "trimguy". I do high end new construction trim work [and some remodeling] which consists of all the wood work in a house except cabinets. here is a picture of a foyer floor I just finished. its red oak and black walnut.

moosehunter

That floor is incredible 👌. Will you be able to get a pic when it is finished? 

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Thank You Sponsors!