iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guess the carnage

Started by moosehunter, April 21, 2019, 02:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

Started this job last Sunday when I got home from a small saw job. Working evenings when I had time and this morning I am finally ready to put it back together. Here is a pick of the pieces involved with getting this far.

A hint; I had to listen to the obnoxious noise all the way to the job and all the home.
In my past life I did this procedure countless times and even had other garages send me these jobs because I was so good at it. I never had one fight me as much as this one.
So what are the pieces from?

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

lxskllr

moosehunter

Correct! 4 broken studs. I had to drill one, the other three came out by welding on to the end of them.

mh

lxskllr

I just had mine done on my dakota. It's beyond my skill level and desire. That's probably one of the worst jobs you can do on a vehicle, no?

Bruno of NH

Had that done last year on my GMC 1500
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Resonator

It looks like you were "warming up" rusted bolts with the acetylene torch, and then hit the oxy lever.  ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

moosehunter

Quote from: Resonator on April 21, 2019, 05:51:30 PM
It looks like you were "warming up" rusted bolts with the acetylene torch, and then hit the oxy lever.  ;D
No. I use a mig welder to "build up" a stud that is broken flush or recessed in the head. Then weld a bolt on to the build up. Usually break the weld off a few times before enough heat transfers to loosen the stud. Usually it takes 3 to 5 tries per stud. This time I did it over 30 times for the 4 studs, so approximately 8 welds per stud.
mh

GAB

If I am reading this correctly you are saying that you had a 650% failure rate.
Congratulations on getting 'er done.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

moosehunter

That's the way I roll  :D :D

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow.
My mother would have said you have the patience of Job.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

alan gage

Nice work. Knew what they were as soon as I saw them.

We do quite a few of those here at the shop. So far we've gotten them all out but always tell the customer we can't guarantee it. Worst one we had was a V10 Ford where 18 of the 20 studs broke off.

My dad is the go-to guy for that here. He never tries drilling anymore, just straight to the wire welder. For many years he's been welding big nuts to the broken off studs but a couple years ago someone suggested welding a washer on first and that's worked very well for him. It's easier to get a good weld with the washer as it gives better visibility and access for the tip of the welder. Then weld a nut to the washer.

Like you he has a lot of them twist off multiple times before they finally come out. He's always a little giddy when the last one is done.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Crusarius

I stopped trying to do that using nuts since it seems I could never get good penetration I usually use a piece of 1/4" flat plate with a hole drilled in it. I like the washer idea.

terrifictimbersllc

I thought it was a homemade stump grinder.🙂
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!