iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing long timbers on a Woodmixer

Started by moosehunter, March 14, 2016, 01:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

I have been asked a few times to saw long timbers, the most recent 34'. I know I have seen threads here on how to do it but cannot seem to find them now. I cannot add an extension  (I believe ) because I have a remote console. How long of a beam can I cut?
Thanks, mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

I think there is probably no information for a woodmixer on here Mike. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

moosehunter

Leave it to you to find my mistake , and right quickly I might add! ;D
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dave Shepard

You can put a 6' extension on a remote mill. I've done 30 feet without an extension, but you can do more.

edited: mill, not milk. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bandmill Bandit

I have an LT40 HDG28 that is pretty much a LT40 Super now. The longest I have sawn is 24 Feet. I did 4 of them for a customer.

Raise rollers to full height and cut to with in about 6 inches of the end of the head max travel. I use a sweed saw to buck off the slab, raise the head and back the head up. Push the log back towards the head as far as required, realign the log and finish the cut. Repeat for the next 3 cuts.

The first 2 are the tough ones. I make sure to leave as much material as possible so that the final cuts are done with a straight flat side on the bottom.

Its fiddly but it works pretty good. It be even more fiddly on a wood MIXER. Not sure what you'd end up with.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 14, 2016, 03:59:41 PMYou can put a 6' extension on a remote milk.
And now Dave wants to mix his "milk" remotely.  Didn't take long to get to food.  Just glad that it is not Goat Milk.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dustyhat

You guys trying to turn this into a cooking site??

slider

Mooshunter, depending on which end you saw from.On long beams i set the remote up on the tail end with a roller table to support the log i make one inch drops and before you run out of travel just raise the head while sawing.It will saw up out of the cut fine just keep it moving.When you have made a few cuts roll the log and repeat.It's been a while but i'm thinking Custom sawyer told me to do 3 sides before moving the log back.May be he will chime in and add to this.I did some 32 footers a while back and they came out well.
al glenn

Dave Shepard

Magicman, my phone has a few words, well a lot of words actually, that it just does not want to spell correctly.

When I saw long, I saw what I call a hammerhead. I saw as far as I can, and then cut the slab off. I've never tried customsawyer's trick of sawing out of the top of the log, but that would save some grief. Once I have the top and bottom flattened, then I slide the log back and saw off the hammerhead on both sides, then slide the log back and repeat on the remaining two sides.

Hammerhead:

Sawing 47'+ on a 45' mill:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

47sawdust

Dave,
That last picture proves no matter how long your bed is ,somebody wants something 2 feet longer.You have some nice pine down your way.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

MartyParsons

Hello,
some early command control mills would not except the extensions because of the cable carrier. (Black chain beside the mill). If the cable carrier looks like it is part of the trailer axle you can add 6' to the bed. If there is a space between the carrier and the axle then you are out of luck. Dont hold me to this but I think if your mill is newer than 1999 you are good.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Dave Shepard

Quote from: 47sawdust on March 14, 2016, 10:01:06 PM
Dave,
That last picture proves no matter how long your bed is ,somebody wants something 2 feet longer.You have some nice pine down your way.

We just keep adding bed extensions. 52' with 57' capacity.

KirkD

Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

customsawyer

When cutting longer than your mill I use the cut up out of the cut trick. It saves having to cut the slab off of the log. The draw back is that each board you take off of the same side you have to come up a bit sooner each time. I do two faces and then on the third one I will make my first cuts than move the log back and finish that face. Keep in mind that if you get around 6' or more over the length of your mill you will need to support the long end or the weight of the non supported end will make your timber bow up in the middle.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Dave, that pic of a 52' timber is awesome.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!