iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas problem

Started by Larry, July 23, 2010, 08:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Last week the stupid dawg decided to chase a skink in the shed where the emergency generator is stored.  All of a sudden Kathy smelled gas.  The dawg bumped the gas line on our 9 year old generator and it broke spilling at least 5 gallons on the ground.  Finally a reason to get rid of the stupid dawg but I guess it was not totally his fault and I relented.  Five gallons of gas on the ground, or worse in the garage could present a problem.

I think you can see from the picture the old rubber gasket is ate up and the gas shutoff is rusted.  Yes, the generator has been run on a steady diet of ethanol...hard to find real gas anymore.

This isn't an isolated incident.  The small engine place had the parts on hand and didn't even have to look in the book for a part number.

Last year I bought a outboard "kicker" motor for my striper boat.  It had the high dollar Mercury laminated gas line which de-laminated from gas?.  Fortunately caught it before it cost me dollars.

I can't figure why there isn't more problems in cars...I suppose because the gas never has a chance to get old, but I don't really know.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

I'd recommend using the ethanol treatment that you would add to your gasoline!

I use it in everything I have, including the truck, van, sawmill, and lawn mowers.

I pick it up at Walmart!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Larry

I started using the STA-BIL marine treatment in all my small engines last year but not long enough to know if it is effective.  Been using the Husky XP oil in the chainsaws and have never had a gas related problem.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

gary

Ethanol has been in the gas here since 1980. It has been mixed in the gas at the rate of 10%. I have never had a problem with it.

Brad_bb

I've had a recurring problem in my 55 Ford 960 tractor(fully restored).  Every spring when I go to start it for the first time(for mowing), the needle in the carb sticks both closed and open until it is worked enough times  to function normally.  The needle has a viton tip.  Our gas is 10-15% ethanol I believe, and in the winter I add Stabil.  I believe that one or both of these is causing swelling of the tip while it's seated, though I cannot prove this.  It happens every year, and will happen if I let the tractor sit for any period over two weeks.  It's something I just chalk up to having to deal with.  This winter I'm thinking of draining the carb bowl by removing the bowl plug.  The carb will then sit all winter dry and the needle will not be seated.  I'm considering this, but wondering if then the needle may dry out and then will get harder and turn brittle? 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ron Wenrich

I was going to suggest Beano when I saw the thread title.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SPIKER

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on July 24, 2010, 12:09:35 AM
I was going to suggest Beano when I saw the thread title.   :D

Dang I was beat to it...  Ya I dont mind the additive but it does eat up rubber lines. you have to buy the type of rubber that is resistant to it.  older cars do have problems with it I know from experiences (plural) ate up rubber dry rotted and or internal swelling that closes off the lines/hoses.
this spring it was time to change the lawn mowers lines due to cracking when it came off in bits & pieces it was a wonder it was running at all. sucking air through and lines collapsed internally pretty good.
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Slabs

Quote from: Brad_bb on July 23, 2010, 11:27:23 PM
I've had a recurring problem in my 55 Ford 960 tractor(fully restored).  

Does that 660 have a shut-off valve and sediment bowl like many older ones?  Some (like my dad's old Fergie T0-20) had a valve that had two opening sets.  One for normal run and when the tank went "dry", open the valve fully and you had enoough gas to make it back to the barn.

Possibly turn the valve off and run the gas out of the float bowl for long setups.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!