iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharp bands

Started by bandmiller2, June 28, 2008, 08:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

A sharp well set band is one of the joys of milling.I was thinking back after I built my bandmill I sharpened my bands by hand using the plans I got from suffolk [timberwolf].All that involves is a slight modification to a bench grinder,basically a rest with the proper angle and a redressed stone.[rock to you southern boys] It worked fine and cost me nothing but it was tiring and best done before miller time.Whats involved is to hold the band and feed the face along the side of the wheel then finish the gullet and back with the rounded wheel in one fluid motion,a little practice and its easy but tiring due to holding and twisting the band.If a feller mounted two wooden spools overhead at the right angle to the grinder and  to support the band it would be easier and less tiring.Before I could try this I got lazy and bought a Cooks catsclaw sharpener.Timberwolf [my favorite bands] even made a vidio showing you how. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cantcutter

Yeah I have heard about that video..... I have been told they don't distribute it any longer.

Thank You Sponsors!