iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band SFPM

Started by bandmiller2, March 02, 2010, 08:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Do any of you guys know the effects of low SFPM,and the effects of too high SFPM.I would think too high the teeth would dull sooner and the sawdust would be finer.Seems lower band speed would give longer band life.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

red oaks lumber

you can equal that with feed speeds, faster band speed means faster feed speed and visa versa.proper lubrication also helps
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

taschmidretired

"Until I had turned Thirty Five, the longest I had ever stayed in one place was my Mother's womb."

"Beware of the man that shoots his arrow first, and then paints a bulls eye around it after."

bandmiller2

Reason I asked is yesterday put hand held S/W tach on the bandwheel shaft the SFPM would figure out to 6500 SFPM.I didn't think it was that fast engine RPM must have picked up,seemed to cut good though.I'm not in a hurry so the with the electric motor conversion I'am going to slow it down right around 5000.Frank C.

taschmidretired

Your sheave sizes at the motor/drive wheel can drastically amp up or lower travel speed. To get that1750 up to where you were/are constitutes a little movement causing a larger movement.
"Until I had turned Thirty Five, the longest I had ever stayed in one place was my Mother's womb."

"Beware of the man that shoots his arrow first, and then paints a bulls eye around it after."

bandmiller2

Your right Tom,I'am puting a 6" on the 1760 motor and 11" on the bandwheel shaft,keeping as large a pulleys as I can for traction.Frank C.

ely

seems i read someplace one time that the sfpm that was optimal, was somplacein the neiborhood of 4600. im sure that would change with the many different bands we have available now days.

bandmiller2

Ely,I think probibly the type of wood and its moisture content would play a roll in optimal SFPM.I think a good sharp well set band somewhere in the ballpark will work,its most likely a compromise anyways. Frank C.

LeeB

Several years ago Sawmill and Woodlot magazine put out an issue that talked about this and many other blade issues, both band and circle. I seem to remember 52-5400 being the magic number. They have a websight and you may be able to search old issues. I don't know.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!