iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut lists

Started by bandmiller2, August 04, 2010, 07:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Interesting to try and figure what a fella is building from a cut list.I much prefer to talk it over with a guy saves boath of us time and labor.Many times I just get a list left on the mill with a name.People are funny when it comes to milling,I know if they want 8' boards they'll order 16' think its cheaper to cut them same with dimention.Most of the logs I cut are hauled in an 8' dump with the 2' gate down 16's are rare critters.I cut alone now and don't really appreciate 16' 8x8's better start charging a premium for the long heavy stuff. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Papa1stuff

I cut about twenty 20 ft logs into 1" boards ,they were very heavy ,to heavy for this old man.
Told my customer next time he wanted 20 footers ,he could be here to take them away.
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

nas

I always tell my customers to try give me the actual lengths they need.  If they need 20 3' pieces don't order 5 12s, let me decide what logs to cut them out of.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

ronwood

nas,

I like to do things like you also. Helps each other out on price and log utilization

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

woodmills1

yes it does............ :P

I ask everyone         ???      what are you making?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sgschwend

If folks are leaving you paper orders, then perhaps a sign near there telling them their order is gratefully accepted but due to the varying size of the logs you would appreciate a phone call to finish the order.

;)
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Brucer

Quote from: nas on August 04, 2010, 02:31:02 PM
I always tell my customers to try give me the actual lengths they need.

Same here.

I have a standard form I fill out when someone gives me an order. It's got space at the top for 'phone number and mailing address.

If someone leaves me a piece of paper with an order, I copy it onto my standard form and then call them to discuss the details. Of course, if they didn't leave a phone number on the piece of paper, then the "order" isn't complete so I can't work on it until they contact me ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

weisyboy

geez you guys are wingers.

8' logs? all mine are kept full length until i get an order normaly around 8m (27'). as soon as i cut something someone wants something longer.

20' x 1" boards.? i make my tailor carry 20' 8x2s all day. i dont carry timber i operate the mill. unless we are cutting 8x8s or sompthing.

and as for paper orders, i get stuff scribbled on bits of wood from time to time. i dont cut anything i havnt been spoken to about.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Papa1stuff

weisyboy,wait till your 75 and then see how heavy a green 1x8x20 really is! ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Magicman

You don't got to wait that long.  I recently sawed a stack of 20' 2X12's from fresh SYP.  Even the help got tired.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

weisyboy

my 84 year old father tails for me when everyone else wants a day off.

im a mean busturd aint i ;D

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Magicman

Most of the time I'm the oldest on the job and the last one standing.  Course, I've been sittin' and ridin' all day.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!