iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha catchn’?

Started by SawyerTed, April 16, 2022, 08:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ

Great trip to downeast Maine with My 19yo son, and a longtime family friend.   Thanks Wayne!

The grin, says all there needs to be said ! :)

Below is take from another day, 2 eaten right away digin1

And I update my avatar with new fish pict, 23" first day fish !

Many memories made  sail_smiley

JJ

Alright, I will post the avatar pic, it was the best fish of the week but only by little bit :).

Checking our set

JJ

SawyerTed

Nice Fish!  Nothing like fishing with family!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Walnut Beast

Some really nice pictures everybody! I told a guy I know this week good luck. He's sitting in 10th place in Alabama bass fishing tournament. He wants to finish in the top 9 and he will qualify to make it in the bass master tournament. If he does it will be his 4th time. 

Poquo

Caught first Snakehead of the year and a few Largemouth Bass.
Rain off and on during the day heard a crack and watched a tree fall in the creek around 200 yards away.

2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Nebraska

The other day I mentioned  doing some pox therapy, I  a little done.   So Saturday evening  I went and tried

Taken from the old Railroad bridge abutment  on  the creek that runs behind my quiet place.  It's down a good foot from what it needs to be to hold many fish but I got to fish for an hour or so with my youngest son and caught a little 10 inch Catfish.
Sunday we even got the boat out  on the and  river fished a spot for a while caught one 6 pound Buffalo, then weather was predicted to come in so we got out. It was a good first run of the season  and a little pox treatment.

Missouri River not far from Niobrara NE..

K-Guy

I went out trolling on Sunday at a nice cold Maine lake and got 2 Lake Trout. Not huge ones( one 14" and the other about 12") but still not getting skunked. I need to get a downrigger, then I can hopefully catch something I'll post pictures off.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

jb616

@K-Guy , have you ever tried jigging for the lakers?  It can be a ton of fun as long as you are on the fish. I have used either a 1 oz. glow jighead with white plastic or a fresh strip of white belly skin or a 2-3 oz jigging spoon. We use Jonah jigs in Michigan and you can probably get online in your favorite colors. 

K-Guy

I was actually hoping for Rainbow Trout but enjoyed it all the same. jb616 i haven't tried it but thought about it using baitfish.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Ljohnsaw

My buddy has two slips across the lake from me (where he lives).  Two years ago had to pull the boats out early due to low water levels (every late summer/early fall).  Could have put in back in January 2020 but the lake was closed due to Covid ::)

Then in 2021, the water never came up enough for them to allow boats to be berthed.  Finally, this year we got some water and was able to put in back the end of March.  Went out 4 times so far.  First two trips got a few smaller rainbows and a small king salmon.  Third time just one small trout (full moon - don't go fishing!) that we let go at the end of the day.  On the 29th, we went out but the wind was blowing so a bit of chop/swell going on all day.  Plus the somewhat rude power boaters speeding by very close.

Anyhow, two short strikes in the first hour.  Then we found the sweet spot.  There are several "islands" that eventually gets submerged when the lake is full.  Traveling by the point of one going south, we catch a fish or two.  Traveling north, nothing.  That went on for about 3 or 4 hours.  I lost one at the boat, my fishing buddy lost 3 at the boat and 2 "long line releases".

We got our limits!  Can't quite see the 5th on my pinky finger.

I had already cleaned two so we are each holding 4 here.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

Closed a lake due to Covid ?? No need to explain... 

Nice strings of fish there..  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stanmillnc

Bunch of stingrays caught from the beach on my last trip to Hatteras....and a few decent red drum.

SawyerTed

@K-Guy here's a video of how to use planers for trolling.  

Using a large planer with double snap swivels and rubber bands work great.  Easier to stow than a down rigger and less expensive 

https://youtu.be/B0mAGSvkSqA
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

Catching Speckled Trout and Gray Trout before visitors start arriving this morning 

WDH

I am even more jealous. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

We caught a few fiddler crabs and caught some sheepshead today.   We had a strong wind from the south that made the trout fishing a bit tough.  Although I did see a 5 pound 8 ounce gator speckled trout caught.  

Here are the first two in the live well. 

Here is the proud angler who caught the big trout.  He's a mate on one of the charter boats out of Ocracoke. 

WDH

Were you fishing in particular for the sheepshead?  I know that they are hard to catch.  What is the best technique?  Never catch them in the surf. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Danny, I've never caught sheepshead in the surf but rather around bridges, docks and rocks. The easiest way for me to catch them is to cut live shrimp at the segments, put one on a small gold hook (like the size used for bream, #6 or so), a split shot about a foot above the hook and toss it out and wait for them eat it.  They will often swallow the hook so take a box of them.  Otherwise, you have to be pretty skilled at hooking them.  We used to catch some good sized ones on light spinning tackle during the springtime.

Folks sometimes take an edger and scrape barnacles off of pilings to get them fired up and even use them for bait.

The darn things are about like cleaning talapia.  
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

Our second trip to Florida, SW coast we rented a house on a barrier island and it backed up to the inter-coastal.  At low tide 100's of fiddlers would be on the beach mud.  I'd scoop some up and toss them in a bucket.  I'd take one and pop off the big claw and put the meat on a hook.  Then I'd crush up a few and toss them over the side of the pier.  Drop my line and pull up a sheep's head.  Caught what I'd call an angle fish on steroids.  That thing was huge and put up a monster fight.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SawyerTed

For sheepshead, I use a plain lead head jig baited with a fiddler crab.   I fish it close to the pilings.  At slack tide a shovel to scrape barnacles off the pilings brings them in!  

We are targeting sheepshead and black drum around the dock pilings with the fiddler crabs or sand fleas.  

SawyerTed

Not much difference  :D :D :D :D

Magicman

Congrats!!  No one had to tell you to smile.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

K-Guy

Quote from: SawyerTed on June 14, 2022, 09:14:17 PMNot much difference

She's cuter but both of you look pretty happy!!
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

caveman

About a week ago, I took my 3yo grandson out to our pond to catch some tilapia.  He was able to catch them as fast as he could get his bread ball in the water.  This particular one was red, most were blue.  He had a ball.  

Caveman

SawyerTed

This afternoon the wind laid down.  It would have been a good day to run out of the inlet for some mahi.  

But not to happen, my fishing buddy (aka wife) was under the weather.  

So I fished from the dock. Put a puppy drum aka red fish on the dock. 

Thank You Sponsors!