iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's almost Moultrie time!

Started by DanG, September 16, 2008, 12:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADAMINMO

Guess you got that mirror framed for your wife didn't ya? I haven't seen or heard anything about it. Sure hate to hear that you will miss the show DonK. Hopefully you can make it next year.

Corley5

Ya still got the same phone# DanG  ???  I'm thinking we'll be there on Wed but that's subject to change according to Zach's plans and the weather  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

Quote from: Corley5 on October 09, 2008, 09:12:43 AM
Ya still got the same phone# DanG  ???  I'm thinking we'll be there on Wed but that's subject to change according to Zach's plans and the weather  ;) :)

Yep, same number.  Your's too?

DNalley, I got your message and phone # too.  Looking forward to seeing you. :) :)

DonK, we'll miss ya. :'(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jasperfield

Is there lots of Forestry stuff at Moultrie?

Thanks

Corley5

DanG

Quote from: Jasperfield on October 09, 2008, 10:06:54 PM
Is there lots of Forestry stuff at Moultrie?

Thanks

Yes, there's a pretty good bit.  There will be numerous sawmills, firewood equipment, shavings mills, and a few forestry tractors at least.  I haven't seen skidders, forwarders and such there in  the past, though.  Blue Ox is usually there with those big, beautiful trailers, too. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ADAMINMO

Just a few days left. I am looking forward to this trip. I enjoy the Moultrie show more than any other that I go to. Look forward to seeing you guys there.
Adam

Blake22

Well I ain't gonna make it unless it rains one of those days. I have over 200 stumps to grind, deer plots to plant (not mine this is a paying job), 15 or so yards to mow and several trees jobs. Hell I went to work today at daylight and had to stop to go to a wedding. I'm glad I have so much to do. Maybe it'll rain me out one day and I'll slip in on ya'll.
Blake

Tom

You mean to tell me you will quit work for a wedding and not for an Ag. Show?!?

I'll be praying for rain.............  on your house.  :D

T.J.

i'm planning on being there not shure which days though.we are trying to get done with hay.hopefully we'll be finished tomorrow and can head down wed. and stay till thurs.

Jayson

Hey, I'm headed down now (Tues). Somebody give me a call.770-294-1703. Would like to meet some of you guys. Thanks Jayson

ADAMINMO

Well .... day one is in. Lotsof people but seemed not as many as last year. It was a beautiful day though. Met many FF members. DanG , DNalley , Sawman , Tom , Woodbowl and a few other that I can't remember names (Sorry). Tom showed up toward the end of the show day. He visited with us for till close of the show. I tell you , there is no person that has a heart as big as this guy. He gave me a gift That I will cherish for a Lifetime and my sons will also cherish when they get older. Tom " Thank you " from the bottom of my heart!! Someday I hope to bring my family to Fl. To meet you. Iwant my family to meet you and Gael. Till Tomorrow folks .... Bye.

Corley5

brdmkr

I'm hoping to show up tomorrow for the last day. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

Yep!  Had a good visit with the Baker boys.   Got a good look at a picture of Bryan's little boy.  That rascal looks like he is going to be a handful. Big Hazel eyes that the girls are going to go for.

After the show closed for the day, I went back to the camp with  Woodbowl, DanG, Dnalley and Bill, Dnalley's son. We ate steaks and potatoes, jewish rye and decimated a package of Woodbowl's cookies. Then the instruments came out.  DanG and I got to listen to some of the pretties gospel and blue grass in the world.  Bill picks good.  Dnalley does too, but won't admit it.  Both of those guys have the best voices and Bill knows some good old songs. Dnalley blamed his voice on singing in Church.  I liked it. 

Woodbowl started out on a fiddle and then Dnalley got out a banjo and Woodbowl started playing that.  I tried to get his goat with a few banjo player jokes, but he wouldn't listen.

We just knew that folks would hear the music and come over.  They didn't.  But, we did hook up with the same family as last year and year before.  They had a young fellow there who had made his own fiddle and was learning to play.  He was already good even with so little experience. There were two more fellows in the family with guitars and a lady who knew some songs and could sing pretty good.  Then there was another fellow with a guitar who might be joining the forum later and then Woodbowl with the banjo and Dwight and Bill with guitars. Dwight's got a Martin.   It's realy great.

The family musicians were playing from Fake books and computer printouts.   When things began to get a little slow, Bill was enticed to sing a song.  He's a bit shy, but he did it.  I think he was a lightening strike and everybody listened to his gospel, open mouthed, and finally joined in.  He lead with a couple of other songs and then we found that the  family was  a missionary family that played in Bosnia, Italy and other spots around the world.  They started playing some of their mission songs, which were neat, but I liked Bill's performance a whole lot better.

DanG and I listened and clapped.  :D

We slept in cars and under the sky.  The mosquitos like to have eaten Bill and Dwight up. Woodbowl says that DanG snores and DanG and I must've gotten the most sleep.  ;D

This morning we drank copius amounts of coffee.  DanG brought some coffe made up like tea bags and Woodbowl arrived with with an entire kitchen, coleman stove and hibatchi.

Bill and Dwight left just before noon and Woodbowl went to the show.  Dang and I settled lin with our coffee and chairs and visited.  It was great.

Then we went to a Western Sizzler and ate Their buffet.  DanG hit it pretty good, but he had to wait on me to finish.  Then the rascal paid the bill. Wouldn't listen to me!  Thankyou, Thankyou.

We went back to the show and visited with Pete and his wife from Australia.  He's the Lucas guy.   Corley5 showed up with his Dad, Mom and son, zach.   His Mom, Sach and I went to the Dog trials.  I love to watch the dogs work.  Most of these were Border Collie's and they were herding sheep.  Zach got a command whistle like the trainers were using.  If he learns to blow it, Corley5 will have a real experience driving the car home.

The show closed and everybody went their way.  I wish we could have stayed another day.  I was running out of physical ability to stay and the others had things to do.  That show is so big that it is quite stressful.  You have to be in pretty good physical condition to really enjoy it.

I took DanG back to his truck, we said our goodbyes and I settled into a three hour trip back to the house.
I'm already looking forward to next year.  :)

woodbowl

Whew, I walked a lot of miles, had a lot of fun, but not much sleep,  ::)  I'm tired and glad to be home. It was a good day.  8)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

WDH

I am pleased that music was played.  Y'all probably could have used a bass  :).   Sorry that I missed it.  It pains me, along with my bum leg.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

WDH,
You were sorely missed (that's Bible talk :D )

Yes, the evening sure could have used a bass.  Last year, your beating the bass added a dimension to the music that was missing this year.  Not to mention your smiling face, suggestions of songs and just plain old friendliness.

You and your Bass were mentioned several times and we all missed you.

It was a good evening at our camp and the other family's too.

You just have to make sure you get there next time.  It isn't the same without you.  :)

Jeff

I very much enjoyed your post Tom.  :) 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

We missed you WDH, but we had a great time anyway! 8) 8)

Here are a few shots of what was going on:

First stop was the Baker tent, where I found Sawman, David McNail, and Adam.

At the campsite with Woodbowl, Bill Nalley, Dnalley, and Tom.

Peter Foster, of Lucas Mills, gives some swingblade pointers to Corley5 and Woodbowl.

sawman

The short time that we spent at the event was fun, will try and make it back again with plans and ability to stay longer next time.
   Really enjoyed meeting more forum members.
  It was kinda strange driving approx 800 miles to see the Baker fellas when we live within 60 miles of their home base.
  Who am I kidding, we were in Alabama on vacation anyhow, hope timing works out next year.
  DanG it was a pleasure to meet with you.
  DNalley it was a pleasure to meet you and Bill also.
  Adam and all the Baker guys I really appreciated your hospitality, even though we were wearing our Woodmizer shirts.lol

On a sidenote, on our way down we made a pitstop, and a gentleman there asked where we were headed, (we were wearing our woodmizer shirts.)
Told him we were headed to Moultrie, he asked if I ever got on any woodworking forums, and I told him the only forum I was on was the Forestry Forum, turned out it was member Sandman 2234. Wish i would of remembered we had the camera with us.
  Looking forward to future meetings.
  Looks like DanG's pictures came out better than mine,when I get back home I will try and get mine posted.

8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

dnalley

Well alright, let's try this again.  I sat down this morning and wrote out what I thought was a good post, and when I tried to post pictures with it, wouldn't you know it; i managed to
erase everything once again.  I'm getting purty good at this part! :-[

Anyhow, I had a great time in Moultrie.  Got my oldest son Bill to ride down with me and he really had a fine time also.  It was a pleasure  to meet Sawman at the Baker tent as well as Adam and Tom and the rest of the fellers from Baker.  They're so nice it makes me feel bad that I run a competitor's saw :-X

We also got to meet with Tom, Woodbowl, and DanG and get to know them a little better since my brief encounter last year.  They managed to feed Bill and me thanks to the steaks from Tom, the coffee from DanG, and the taters, bread, and cooking fixins from Woodbowl.  Woodbowl did all the cooking and did a fine job, even in the dark 8).  The man came prepared;  he just kept plundering around is his van and whatever he needed, He seemed to come out with it.  Really organized, in his own way it seemed.  I guess Bill and I would have been lost as a rat in a meat box without them 'cause if we'd had to leave to go eat we'd never have found them after following Woodbowl in there.

The music was good but we really missed WDH and his bass.  Would have loved to see him and DonK , radar 67, and Corley5.  Tom, thanks for the kind words.  I'm still in misery with all the mosquito bites I got on that army cot under the stars (Bill too).  I mean to tell you we really got eaten alive---type a little--scratch a lot!!

Thanks guys for making my son feel so welcome.  He really appreciated that and so did I.  Woodbowl, got your PM and I can assure you it was our treat to get to play music with you.

WDH

DanG!  I really messed up not being there this year :-[. 

Steaks??????????  Nobody told me that :'(. 

The weather had to be nice.  Dnally, I certainly did not miss those mosquitos though :D.  I hate those rascals.  They got me last year, and I still remember them.

My new years resolution is to be there next year :).

This is such a great place because I have made some lifelong friends.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Quote from: dnalley on October 16, 2008, 06:44:28 PM
  I guess Bill and I would have been lost as a rat in a meat box without them 'cause if we'd had to leave to go eat we'd never have found them after following Woodbowl in there.

Thanks guys for making my son feel so welcome. 

Well now for the rest of the story:  Dwight, you would have been in a heck of a fix if you had left and tried to find your way back!  You should have seen Tom and me when we tried to get out of that place!  We must have drove ten miles trying to find our way to a point we could see just a hundred yards away!  What happened was, Woodbowl set out on foot to go see the show, and the Nalleys headed for home with their skeeter bites, but me and ol' Tom was having such a pleasant time sitting under the pines and sipping coffee that we just stayed right there all morning.  Along about noontime, we started getting the munchies and decided that a buffet house in town was probably a better deal than those $8 sandwiches in the showgrounds, so we started trying to find our way out of there.  We went down this road and found it blocked, so we turned around and found the other way blocked off too, so we went back where we came from and tried again.  And again.  AND again. AND AGAIN! >:(  We finally escaped and went to the buffet place, where I ate all I could hold and set there another half hour while Tom finished filling up his face. ::) :D :D  After that, we went back out to Spence Field to spend a little while in the show.  I had forgot some stuff at my truck, so we had to find our way back into the camping area, then find our way back out again, but we finally made it inside about 1:30 or so. ::) :D  We made our way over to the Lucas/Bailey's spot, where we met up with Peter Foster and his darling Wife.  We had a grand time visiting with them, and after a couple of phone calls, Corley5 and Woodbowl joined us there.  After a while, Zach and his Grandma joined us too, then Tom took the two of them over to the Stock Dog National Finals arena to watch them herd sheep with Border Collies.  Corley5 and Woodbowl went off to see the sights and I went to help watch the dogs until it was time to go.  All in all, it was one of the most pleasant days I have had in a while! :)

Dwight, Bill don't owe nobody a thing!  We just thoroughly enjoyed him, especially when he broke out that guitar and started pickin' and singin'.  We meant what we said when we encouraged him to sign up on the Forestry Forum.  He's one of us now! It weren't too hard to see where he got his talent and his good ol' country moral backbone, either.  I can't hardly wait till next year, when we can do it all over again!  By the way, I'll give ya what ya paid for that Washburn banjo, just so I can keep it here and make Woodbowl come over to play it. ;D

pigman

Quote from: dnalley on October 16, 2008, 06:44:28 PM

.....  I'm still in misery with all the mosquito bites I got on that army cot under the stars (Bill too).  I mean to tell you we really got eaten alive---type a little--scratch a lot!!.......

Shucks, if I knew I could have slept on an army cot and  been eaten by skeeters, I would have come down to join in. It has been a while since I have enjoyed that experience. If I hadn't gone north the week before I was thinking of going south for the  good company ,show , the food, the music and what ever. Maybe I can make it next year.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!